Well....There Go The Dinosaurs

For discussions pertaining to science and engineering and science-related topics.
stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

http://www.nature.com/news/dna-has-a-52 ... fe-1.11555

I have always been a fan of Crichton and his plausible fiction. Seems Jurassic Park is no longer part of that club. DNA has been found to have a half life of only around 500 years. No raptor cloning in our future I'm afraid.

bigbadberry3

That's alright, once I lock down Nelly we'll be good to go.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

LOL. I'm convinced if she actually DID exist, she'd most likely be a remnant plesiosaur.

I was thinking about this more though after my post. So ok, we can't get a copy of dino DNA now, we know that, its fizzled out due to radioactivity. But, I wonder if we could one day try to take bird DNA, and try to walk back its evolutionary jumps, in an effort to arrive at dino DNA through reverse engineering. Would still be a best guess product I know, but it could maybe work?

bigbadberry3

stebo0728 wrote:LOL. I'm convinced if she actually DID exist, she'd most likely be a remnant plesiosaur.

I was thinking about this more though after my post. So ok, we can't get a copy of dino DNA now, we know that, its fizzled out due to radioactivity. But, I wonder if we could one day try to take bird DNA, and try to walk back its evolutionary jumps, in an effort to arrive at dino DNA through reverse engineering. Would still be a best guess product I know, but it could maybe work?
I wouldn't rule out reverse genetic engineering. May not be in our time frame, may have to wait until we get re engineered 1000 ears from now.

Return to “Science!”