Well, I drank the CVT Kool-aid....

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Yup. I was always a bit ambivalent and suspicious regarding the CVT technology, and so initially owned two 5 speed MT Versas (one a sedan, one a Note). THEN -- the great San Antonio Hail Storm hit my little sedan. Damaged hood, roof, and trunk panels. Sad Versa Owner.

But I ran into a deal that I could not pass up. I ended up with a certified 2015 Versa Note SV fully loaded (except for navigation), used only a portion of my settlement money, ending up with lower payments, shorter note, and a better rate.

Bottom line is, I really like the CVT! I was surprised that I did, but once you get used to its quirks, it is very pleasant to drive, and actually moves the car along better than the 5 speed MT. Cruising at 75MPH with the RPMs at about 2250 is a gas. And there is a comfort level -- because it's certified, I have 70K miles or 6 years of coverage on it and the engine. I most likely will not even own the car that long.

In the past, I have poo-pooed technology and electrics in a car -- but now that I have 'em, I like 'em, even though it's an even bet that at some point I'ma hafta shell out $600 or so for actuators....

Here are the other things the new(ish) car has the my old one didn't: Remote entry, power windows, power door locks, power out-board mirrors, cruise control (got a long trip coming up -- will be a godsend) back-up camera, driver's arm rest, adjustable driver seat height, rear seat cup holders (yeah I know, who cares), higher-end stereo (with Sirius if I want it -- which I do not), adjustable front seat head rests, better seat upholstery, and that gimmicky Divide-n-Hide thingie in the cargo area. All basically for no additional money out-of-pocket (except of course for a portion of my settlement check). Yes, I KNOW I gave up 2 years of factory warranty. I liked the trade-off.

What I don't like: No temp gauge, (what's up with that?), only one physical key hole (driver's side), noisy acceleration (it's a 1.6 litre 4-banger, what do you expect? --but it is still quieter than my trade-in), and the typical Nissan numb electronic steering. Things that I can live with.

You may now malign me for my stupidity and bad decision-making skills.......

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

I certainly can't fault you - after driving 750,000+ miles in cars with manual transmissions I got my first Versa, which had the CVT. I'll never buy another car without it! My son's still driving my first one, my daughter has my second one (she'd bought her own, but had someone turn in front of her at a light...) and I'm on my third. And my wife just bought a Juke with CVT. I'm sad that Nissan changed the Versa to the Versa Note, because the musical instruments we carry in the back don't fit in the Note, but at least the CVT is now more common with several makers, so whenever I get my next car, I know I can get a CVT!

As for cruise, I've had it on most of my cars, but the Versa is more solid than any I've driven, holding speed uphill and down. And the CVT adjusts well for it, even here in the mountains.

txchamps

Thanks, kc5f, for you response and support.

My biggest concern with the CVT is its high operating temperature, especially since my car has no temp gauge. (I acquired a device that plugs into my diagnostic port so that I can monitor that on my cell phone via Bluetooth). But I wonder if you have had any troubles with your trannies ever overheating and going into the dreaded "limp mode". That sort of thing will take the joy right out of a vacation.

And, do you change fluid every 30K miles? Did you do that yourself, or have the dealer do it? What are they charging for that nowadays?

This new CVT is a little different. The computer is programmed to simulate shift points (D-Step Shift Logic) and make it feel more like a conventional automatic. Don't know whether I like that or not, as it seems to defeat the "seamless shifting, constant power" concept of the CVT in the 1st place --it was the main thing I liked about the CVT. Oh, well.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

We haven't had CVT overheating or any other problems with our Versas, with two of them going on 150k miles. From what I've read, "limp mode" kicks in after a sudden emergency-style stop from high speed, but we've never experienced it.

I stick with dealer service intervals, although after the warranty period I let my favorite local mechanic take care of it. The CVT interval is about 100k miles, so I've never had mine changed, but both of my kids have with my older ones that I sold to them. I don't know what it cost, though. The fluid is definitely more expensive, but not your normal transmission fluid, either.

That's strange, if they've changed the shifting feel. I definitely like the smooth feel, and my wife's 2016 Juke feels just the same as my 2012 Versa. Hopefully you really have a CVT and someone didn't foist off an automatic on you as a CVT!

txchamps

kc5f wrote: That's strange, if they've changed the shifting feel. I definitely like the smooth feel, and my wife's 2016 Juke feels just the same as my 2012 Versa. Hopefully you really have a CVT and someone didn't foist off an automatic on you as a CVT!
No chance of that. The SV comes only in one flavor. :) My understanding is the D-Step Shift Logic was programmed into all 2015 Nissan models http://thenewswheel.com/nissan-d-step-shift-logic-cvt/ It's subtle, but it's there. Perhaps they changed back in 2016? Don't know.

I'm with you. I once rented a 2013 Note, and really liked the smooth way the CVT felt -- but I just didn't trust 'em. Still don't to a certain degree, so I'm swallowing my apprehension for now and enjoying the ride, especially since I've got a 70k mile warranty.

Thanks again for your input!

FYI, The dealership replaced my fluid before I bought the car, but there is no specification in the maintenance schedule as to when to replace it. I thought it was every 30k miles -- my mistake.

kc5f

Well, I stand corrected. I found a 2012 Nissan maintenance manual online (too lazy to walk out to my car!) and it does say to replace the CVT fluid at 60k miles. Either it changed or I don't remember my mechanic doing it on the other two Versas. Hopefully I'll do it several times on this one. I hate driving a car less than 200k miles, and my kids now make more than me, so when they need a new car I'm not going to sell them mine at a loss again!

I checked your D-Step link, and it specifies models that don't include the Juke, so that must be why my wife's feels "normal". It does seem like an odd change - I've never thought mine felt or sounded odd.

txchamps

kc5f wrote:I checked your D-Step link, and it specifies models that don't include the Juke, so that must be why my wife's feels "normal". It does seem like an odd change - I've never thought mine felt or sounded odd.
Yeah, I saw that too, after I posted. I need to learn to read more thoroughly.....

txchamps

txchamps wrote:
My biggest concern with the CVT is its high operating temperature, especially since my car has no temp gauge. (I acquired a device that plugs into my diagnostic port so that I can monitor that on my cell phone via Bluetooth). But I wonder if you have had any troubles with your trannies ever overheating and going into the dreaded "limp mode". That sort of thing will take the joy right out of a vacation.
Well, no problem at all with running hot. Just drove 1000 miles from here to Denver, with external tempsw ranging as high as 95 (Texas panhandle) and it never got above 186F, ran like a champ. We got just a touch under 40MPG to boot, with two people, luggage, ice chest, etc. Pleased so far.

kc5f

And now I have to amend my posts. This weekend Versa #1, which my son has had for quite a few years after I had it, has bitten the dust. They told him the transmission needed replaced and quoted him $3700, which is more than the Kelly Blue Book value if it were in perfect condition. It did have 172k miles, but I was hoping it would go even further. Well, we'll see how #3 and #4 hold out!

txchamps

kc5f wrote:And now I have to amend my posts. This weekend Versa #1, which my son has had for quite a few years after I had it, has bitten the dust. They told him the transmission needed replaced and quoted him $3700, which is more than the Kelly Blue Book value if it were in perfect condition. It did have 172k miles, but I was hoping it would go even further. Well, we'll see how #3 and #4 hold out!
I'll gladly take 172K miles on either of my two buggies. Way to go!

kc5f

Now we add #5 to the list. He bought a Versa Note. I didn't realize how much he liked his Versa!

txchamps

I hope he enjoys it. I have 2 notes, one a 5-speed (the S), and the SV with the CVT. Both of them are performing admirably. I'm sure he already understands that the smaller engine doesn't have as much oomph as the 1.8 liters, but for me it is sufficient.

Happy driving!

Return to “Versa General Chat”