Welded Differentials

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
Iscariot
Car: 1995 240SX

Please only post if you have personal experience with welded diffs. How bad are they for daily driving? Will they really understeer that much? I've heard stories that say they will, but then other stories that completely disagree...any input?

boj240
Car: 93 hatch sr

hey wats up man... like seriously i just put mine in yesterday... and its not the worst thing in the world! like it does.. always wanting to kick out or that noise u hear when u turn but i mean it all depends if u want it.. if not pay like 1897321069124$$ bucks for a lsd...

BuLLeTdrift
Car: 91 240sx fast baq

lol, more like around 800 bux for clutch type lsd.

Dude, this is discussed at least 3 times on the first page of this drift forum. Use the search button man.

But yea, I love my welded diff. I have many friends with 2 ways and i'd much rather have mine the way it is.

nzmoman
Car: 240sx 2 of em' and always lookin for more

boj240 wrote:hey wats up man... like seriously i just put mine in yesterday... and its not the worst thing in the world! like it does.. always wanting to kick out or that noise u hear when u turn but i mean it all depends if u want it.. if not pay like 1897321069124$$ bucks for a lsd...
thats more than the national budget.

Anand

weld it and be done with it

jt15833
Car: 95' 240SX

yea im welded and really like it, its not as bad as people say. it does chirp at low speeds and daily driving style changes a little but if you do drift it is definetly worth it

RyanAwesome
Car: Murdered out coupe.

I grip and i drift(learning anyways). And as far as a welded diff i like it better for grip than the open diff. Seems more confident and the steering has a little more weight to it.

scruffy63
Car: my nissan 240sx

i've been running welded for 5 or 6 months I think. I love it. Now I have to be more careful with the throttle when taking fast turns or corners. drive like my grandmother in the rain, and laugh when police ask me why I'm doing burnouts when I'm actually parking (true story).

driftnslide1
Car: 92' 240sx coupe/ 87' toyota supra turbo

good info guys. i was wondering about doing this myself. about how much does it cost to have it done?

scruffy63
Car: my nissan 240sx

well it cost me about 5 bucks to clean it, 20 to get it welded. and what ever 2 bottles of the gear oil costs. But you can expect to pay around 50 for the welding. My welder does all my work on the side, so I get a discount.
Modified by scruffy63 at 6:22 PM 2/9/2007

DrifterBoy240
Car: 1991 nissan 240sx

i have been running a welded diff. for like 2 years now and love it. yea you get more tire wear because the wheels are always wanting to spin at the same speed (i.e. wheel hop) but other than that if you experience under steer just give a little clutch kick and sideways you will be.

nine2five

i just got into rwd im comming from honda (dont ever go there) but i got a 240 and tried to drift with my friends and with an open diff it would kick posse the 1 legger and i almost crashed like 10 time i welded my diff and its the way to go my friend has a vlsd and he kicks 1 legger all the time he has to break stand before doughnuts hahahaha hands down go welded diff

silvias_my_hoe
Car: s13 with no paint but with a bodykit and a welded diff cause im too poor to buy a lsd

ive got my diff welded and i liked it alot,ive never drifted in a lsd or vlsd but i really did like it welded,and as for the noise yeah you do hear a noise when your parking or turning realllll slow and yes some people who dont know anything about cars are like also it didnt really eat up my tires as i thought it would,actually to be honest it didnt eat up my tires at all really,i mean when you drift alot of course you loose tire life but its drifting what do you expect,as for the rain i didnt have any problem at all,but when i did autox i did understeer 2 times but it was my 1st time anyway

Silverbullet

go out and drive one.

Just because so and so dosn't think its that bad driving a welded diff dosn't mean you wont mind it.

I dont mind my S13 with coilovers with 2 way LSD but i know ppl who couldn't stand doing that.

Matej

Welded diffs are fun, I love mine, and I also daily drive it with no problems.

silvia2slow
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

same here. i LOVE my welded diff. daily drive it every day and really don't notice the wheel hop any more.

paulie240sxr
Car: 240sx 91 hatch

im wanting to drift but here in po duck Missouri i have no place to legally do it im trying to get something going here in springfield so people can go and have fun.any one have any ideas or know something that i dont know

300bucks
Car: 1988 Conquest Ls1 powered

I've had two welded diffs and the vlsd that I have now. First things first they are great, cheap and are awsome for drifting. However for daily driving, depending on where your daily drive is, (mine was in the city) parking parallel will eventually tear your car apart. I grenaded the first diff drifting in the mountains. IT SUCKED ***!!! I desintagrated 2 of the 4 gears that were welded. And yes it does understeer, but clutch kicking cures understeer. The second one I had for 6 months or so, with no problems, but eventually it will destroy your joints and bushings in the rear. Not too happy with the vlsd, but its easier on the car, and still locks both when needed. If you got no $$$ go welded.. If it breaks, by another..

neverlift

I've had mine for like 2 days now

welded diff =great.....does blow in the low speed tight turns(peopel in parking lots look crazy when your going not even 2 mph and your tires are barking.. lol), also I stalled today for the first in a long time cause of it, that and my son was helping drive. I'll see soon how it handles my massive 100whp.

drift-pimp
Car: cefiro with a rb26 Hell Yeah

hey i welded the diff in my old car an s12 silvia n never had a problem u just cant power into corners or u may understeer slighly but if ur powerin down befor the apex u shouldnt be drivin ne way n it makse drifting 100000000 x times easier and more enjoyable if ur still here chattin leave now n go weld ur diff lol

slidecrave
Car: AE86, S13 CA coupe

i agree with you should go out and drive a car with it.. since the guy i got my car from originally hated the welded diff on it. But Idk its not that bad you have to drive a bit more cautious in the rain and like stated low speed turns suck and you make alot of noise when parking or turning in a parking garage

na3j nitsuj
Car: 1990 S13HB KA DOHC

It aint as bad as other people say...its really all up to u the driver if u want to deal with wheel hops wen making u turns or jus taking sharp turns....

i have been driving with my car wit the welded diff and its just fine...

if u want to go cheap then suck it up...

if u have alot of money then go 2way...but u have to change the diff fluid every few months..depends on how often u drive and drift the car...

welding ur diff is the cheapest way to go...

driftmyke
Car: 1993 vert and a crazy fast 98 interceptor

id have to agree with everybody. go welded, full time posi no question, does eat rear tires a little faster then usual, but hey ur saving $800 over buying a lsd, thats alot of tires!!

hkssupratt1994
Car: 92 240sx hatch

i also heard that no shops will weld them for you because its ilegal

neverlift

well that shop sounds like you walked into the Y. unless they can show you something WRITTEN then they must not feel like doing it,rather then it be against the law. Or maybe scared of the legal actions some parties would take, just draw up a little agreement saying you wont sue if your stupid and kill yourself due to the diff....

~edit~ update I have got to play a bit with mine and I LOVE it. my diff that is

stopsnitchin
Car: 93 nissan 240sx

welded diffs are rice as hell!!!!! You're no better than the dude that cuts his springs.

E7-S14
Car: ess 14 foo!

stopsnitchin wrote:welded diffs are rice as hell!!!!! You're no better than the dude that cuts his springs.
and im guessing youve never drivin in a240 with a welded diff.if one was using it just for the track.it works great..it works just like a limited slip on the track.. so i ssee no diffrencebut on the street.. thats another storytheir not rice.this has nothing to do with cutting springs

stopsnitchin
Car: 93 nissan 240sx

its a cheap cop out to doing it right the first time. like getting a body kit and driving around with it unpainted for months. you might not agree that its rice will you agree that its ghetto?

Joe

240DRifter7 wrote:
and im guessing youve never drivin in a240 with a welded diff.if one was using it just for the track.it works great..it works just like a limited slip on the track.. so i ssee no diffrencebut on the street.. thats another storytheir not rice.this has nothing to do with cutting springs
it absolutely does NOT work like a real LSD on track. if it did, why do people spend 1000$ on kaaz/cusco/ATS/nismo diffs?

there is a HUGE difference in the way the car feels with a welded diff and a true LSD.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

my buddy just recently got in an accident, and I'm blaming it on his welded diff (and a lot of other things too like rain, but who knows).

People hear welded diffs and they're all "OMFG JDM OVERSTEER!!" but they forget that it understeers like a bitxh too, esp at slower speeds (when both wheels should not be at the same speed).

I'd rather take vlsd or even hlsd over welded (as far as daily driven goes).

Yes its predictable, but it understeers like a bitxh too at times...

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”