Welded Differentials

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
Yangs S14
Car: R.I.P 1995 240sx and now a s13 1989 hatchh

nieko wrote:i asked up there awhile ago^^^^ about where i could get it welded because i really want to now after reading about them PLEEEASSEEE let me know where i could go and how much it would be! would i have to take it off? or would they do it there? etc
you live in westminster?? come by the pipeline meets on thursdays (autobacs) at around 8ish..

uhmm you can try rhd design?? alot of people had bad stuff w/ them but a lot of my friends didnt...ill find you the phone #

mys14rocks
Car: s14 zenki

lol old post REVIVED!yes meet us at pipeline ill be there(green s14).i do weld jobs for those who are looking for an alternative too lsd's and who happens to live in OC. email [email protected]

nieko
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

so like i think ^^^^^^ that guy died =O lol anyone else weld diffs and like a good weld not some poor quality thing thats gunna fall apart? or if that guy comes back from the dead e mail me thanks lol

mys14rocks
Car: s14 zenki

hey ya ill be leaving for a mounth or two heading out 2 the midstates for work/travel....welds gona have to postpone....soo if u waited till now sorry. i do have evidence that welded diff isnt soo bad Robert with the black coupe is driving with 1 of my welded diffs. 1 thinks its been two mounths so far and no problem.nieko i got ur email and sorry about the lag but ive been moving roommates out of my house left and right and been oober busy.In any case im leaving sunday and dun know how soon ill be back. cya guys on the flip side.

Biggamehit
Car: R33 Skyline
DR30 Skyline
Sil80
180sx

im welded..

here is my write up if you wanna follow along..

http://www.club240.com/forums/...38783

and ricer becuase they/we are serious about a sport? i don't think so. i ricer sits around and bench races and talks a big game and doesn't do **** to their car and or drive it........... why continue.

edit

I feel foolish didn't know this thread was that old.

Modified by Biggamehit at 12:16 PM 9/25/2007

S3t0_S13
Car: Of Nothing But FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

RyanAwesome wrote:I grip and i drift(learning anyways). And as far as a welded diff i like it better for grip than the open diff. Seems more confident and the steering has a little more weight to it.
under no circumstances is a welded diff better for time attacks/grip

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

my diff is welded too, and im not buy an lsd because is too expensive international shipping so i went for welded. yes, it understers but all depends on the speed and the things u are doing at the time.

it pay for weld 30 usd, and 30 for assembly... installation was free because i removed and installed it.

sildrift86
Car: S13

for daily driver, i herd it was bad on gas on the freeway?and you cant go as fast with it on the freeway as you would with the others?you guys know anything about that?

S3t0_S13
Car: Of Nothing But FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

if u lose it for any reason on the streets ur probably going for a ride into a curbi would highly reccomend making a welded diff a track use only

DD ftl, as my friend went the cheap route and ate a pole

BuLLeTdrift
Car: 91 240sx fast baq

sorry, but your friend just doesn't know how to drive. If you can't drive a car with a welded diff with out crashing...enuff said. FAIL

sildrift86: I dont think it would have anything to do with gas efficiency on the freeway. maybe cuz its constantly pushing both wheels, but even then, it wouldn't do anything. Same with speed.

If you can't handle a welded, you wont be much better off with a 2 way.

Z Style
Car: 93 240sx Roadster
01 Pathfinder Overland
97 F350 Powerstroke
88 RX-7 SR20DET Swapped
14 Star Bolt

I rocked the welded diff on and off the track all last season. I drifted a lot better with the VLSD in my back up car however, yet my back up car had better suspension and I was running smaller tires in the rear on a SOHC motor. I think I definately need to upgrade to some better tires in the front because the car understeers bad. Daily driving the car is not bad at all, I did bend a tie rod backing up into a parking spot though. Other than that it was cool, the tires really don't make a whole lot of noise. Other guys with more power love the welded diff around here. Mine is all tig welded and has been run on a car with double the HP I have, so I am not really worried about blowing it up.

sildrift86

thanks for the info BuLLeTdrift

im gonna get mines welded now

as for the the guys friend that crashed, im pretty sure it wasnt the parts on his car that caused the accident

Yangs S14
Car: R.I.P 1995 240sx and now a s13 1989 hatchh

BuLLeTdrift wrote:sorry, but your friend just doesn't know how to drive. If you can't drive a car with a welded diff with out crashing...enuff said. FAIL

sildrift86: I dont think it would have anything to do with gas efficiency on the freeway. maybe cuz its constantly pushing both wheels, but even then, it wouldn't do anything. Same with speed.

If you can't handle a welded, you wont be much better off with a 2 way.
i am also another one of his(seto) friends who crashed with the welded diff, dont be bagging people who crashed by saying they dont know how to drive, the only reason i crashed was cause the day after i got my welded diff it rained...and ididnt know much about drifting yet...and i hydroplaned...but now i know how to drive a welded...right seto??

but honestly id rather get a 2way...more play in the diff so it wont understeer...but if you guys are on a budget and dont give a f*** then weld it...and welding the diff wont give you crappier gas mileage??wtf since when was this??lolol

nieko

i <3 welded but ive also never driven anything else except an open and a vlsd

sildrift86

what kind of oil do you guys put on the welded?and do you have to change it often like a regular one?

i put the mobil 1 75-90 from autozone on my cusco 2-way

nieko

i dont think it matters to much what you put in a welded iirc? i read a post awhile back that a guy forgot to put new fluid in his welded diff and did a whole event and got home and went to drain it and change it again and there was none in there =X and he said it did just fine LOL (not suggesting u dont run ANYTHING haha

sildrift86

^^^ so a good non synthetic 75-90 should be good rightand never change it you say

Z Style
Car: 93 240sx Roadster
01 Pathfinder Overland
97 F350 Powerstroke
88 RX-7 SR20DET Swapped
14 Star Bolt

sildrift86 wrote:^^^ so a good non synthetic 75-90 should be good rightand never change it you say
Whatever the factory service manual calls for. I believe I have 75-90w in mine.

auto alchemist
Car: 1992 nissan 240sx se

sildrift86 wrote:^^^ so a good non synthetic 75-90 should be good rightand never change it you say
yeah any decent 90w should be good, because all it is is an open diff except it has some welds in it.

welded diffs are kick ***, i had an s15 helical cut and a bone stock KA and my car wouldnt drift for crap, i switch to a welded diff towards the end of the season and now big smoky 3rd gear entrys are no prob

and the people who are talking bad about welded diffs, id much rather rock the welded diff than the open diff until i feel like buying a 2 way.

welded diffs FTW!!

Drifter S
Car: MANY AE86S AND AN 93 240SX HATCHBACK

ive ran some of everything.. vlsd is kinda a garbage design.. if it gets too hot its open and once it wears out it is tash cause u cant rebuild it..

clutch lsds IMO are the best choice for our driving and nearly any performance driving. but the are pricey and demand a rebuild from time to time. that being said i bought one that was said to be hardly used at all from a reputable guy here and it lasted 2 drift events. and fresh motul gear oil was added before each one.. a good clutch lsd is the most predictable diff u can run when it works properly..lol

welded diffs lock both rear tires.. u can spin both wheels.. so when u get it sideways u can keep it sliding.. but there is a downfall.. it constantly pushes u outward.. u cant really turn in.. no turn in means understeer in some cases and u can fall off a racing line in others. careful attention has to be paid to initiation as if u arent tossing the car into the corner it will understeer on u in a heartbeat. throttling through a car as far as gripping will have different results as well.. basically a welded diff demands a lot more attention to driving technique in most cases.

i am currently running on in the s13 now as a result of the broken clutch lsd i had.. but i intend on going back to a true lsd.. this is just to get me by i guess..lol.

if u just wanna make it easier to slide and learn how to drift.. go for a welded.. its cheap it works and u can get farther than a open diff this way. but when it comes down to it u cant beat a clutch lsd..

if u can go to a drift practice day and watch some of the cars out there a lot are welded diff cars.. and u can see the line they run is different from the ones the guys with clutch lsds can run.. in a lot of cases a lsd car will run tighter while a welded car will pull wide in places and even sometimes u can see a difference in angle from the 2.

if u guys wanna talk about being ricer or stupid.. it doesnt get more ricer or dumb to build a car for drifting.. u are in essence putting a car together with the sole intent to thrash on it till it breaks.. does that mean we are gonna stop doing it? NO! lol.

nismonian
Car: 2004 sentra SER specV

well dude a lot of ppl r going to tell u a lot of things about welded diffs. like i saw 1 post on here saying my dads a pro welder and i just told him where to weld. heres the truth. IF UR JUST RACING THIS CAR then if u want to save money yes weld it itll blow up eventualy and it has nothing to do with how much hp ur puttin to it. if ur driving this car on the road like to the track or as a daliy driver then pony up the buck and buy a lsd. the reason being that welding a diff in any circumstance other than racing is highly illigal and frickin dangerouse trust me. i write, prove and test welding procedures for ABSA and hold nearly every weld procedure ticket in existance.there is no way to weld the high carbon steel with any process without removing the strength propertys (carbon)in the steel. even if u send the diff to stress releliving u will end up with a weaker diff than when u started, so even if no one here has had 1 grenade, if it dose go on the road (witch it will) and u cause an accident u will be held liable so if u kill someone u will go to jail once the inspection sees that u have a welded diff in ur car and that was the cause. even if the weld on the diff is perfect and u get the diff stress relived eventualy the weld will let go!!!

DO NOT TRUST the old well i did it to my diff and nothings gone wrong yet bs because eventualy it will happen. ive had 2 "lincon" lockers both on my jeep the rear diff blew when i was wheeling it split my axel, turned the pumpkin into about 8 pcs and sent what was left of my ring gear through my buddys front end and lodged into the front of his water pump seizing his engine.the front diff went pulling out of my driveway at 5 kph and snaped both axelsthis is on a trailer queen rock crawler, now think what kind of nasty carnage ether of thouse would have been out on the highway at 110 kph!

all im saying is that if ur cars going to be in a controled enviroment (racing track) go right ahead and weld them, but if ur on the open road buy an lsd u dont want to be responsable for wiping out someones family just cuz u wanted to cheap out on a couple of hundred dollers

plz trust me im just trying to give u the best advice for what ur going to be doing with ur car

Modified by nismonian at 6:18 AM 2/25/2008
Modified by nismonian at 6:20 AM 2/25/2008

240sxs13sleeper
Car: space shuttle

hey everyone.. dang.. is this even possible..

last night it was raining hard.. so after it stopped raining me and my buddy went to walmart that is being built and drifted the parking lot.. boy it was fun.. then all of a sudden my steering wheel gave out and i was like what the hell.. so i looked to see if my hose ruptured or had a bad leak.. nothing. my day was done so we both left to his house. as i was about to turn off my car. i notice that my engine was pass hot and overheating. it was boiling. we took a closer look with a flashlight and saw that all my belt disappeared. i let the car cooled down and went home. the next morning i went to autozone and replace all my belts. and went for a test drive to see if everything was tight....

...so here we go, i drove to the end of the neighborhood to the big circle to come back around and as i was making the turn.. i didnt notice that my wheel was chirping or hopping... so i made a few more turns at the stop signs going left and right.. still nothing.. so my question is.

i thought when your welded diff gives out you rear is suppose to lock up and kill you or something.? and is it still safe to drive around with all that weld floating around in there?

-thao

240sxs13sleeper

ok... heres the update on the diff..

for the past day or so.. ive been driving the car as is with the broking welded diff.. well not only that while driving the car there was this whining sound as i speed up. so today. it got a little worse. the sound got louder and louder .. until.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!SCHREECHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everything locked up as if i yanked the **** out of the e-brake. holy cow was i close to getting into as accident. the car did like a 90* turn when i let go of the gas pedal to slow down at a red light.. the car was still on and everything so i drove it to a 24hr CVS. .. as i was going and slowing down to turn in.. the car would lock up everytime i let go of the gas.. damn that was the craziest thing i ever experienced

-thao

p.s. a welded diff is a ticking time bomb. so brace yourself and drive with caution. i was luckly enough to have the rear locked up at slow speed.

nismonian
Car: 2004 sentra SER specV

hmmm exactly what i said would happin i tryed to warn u guys

im glad to hear u didnt lose control of the car and get hurt!

240sxs13sleeper

yea thx alot nismonian..

the next day me and a buddy of mine went to the junk yard and found a j30 diff.. but couldnt take it off.. sux.. it was the same axel bolt pattern too.. so we found a 240 and took the diff off that one.. open diff again is kind of a bummer.. i never knew how smooth my car is now without the tire chirping and hopping lol.

Stripes
Car: hatch, coupe

Silverbullet wrote:go out and drive one.I dont mind my S13 with coilovers with 2 way LSD but i know ppl who couldn't stand doing that.
what????the way i see it, if you want a 2-way but dont wanna spend the money, it wouldn't hurt to go welded.i just got a 2-way only because i traded my intercooler which i got for free. i'm gonna get my open diff welded soon and try it out later on to see which i like better.

nam3less
Car: 1990 240sx

240sxs13sleeper wrote:ok... heres the update on the diff..

for the past day or so.. ive been driving the car as is with the broking welded diff.. well not only that while driving the car there was this whining sound as i speed up. so today. it got a little worse. the sound got louder and louder .. until.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!SCHREECHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everything locked up as if i yanked the **** out of the e-brake. holy cow was i close to getting into as accident. the car did like a 90* turn when i let go of the gas pedal to slow down at a red light.. the car was still on and everything so i drove it to a 24hr CVS. .. as i was going and slowing down to turn in.. the car would lock up everytime i let go of the gas.. damn that was the craziest thing i ever experienced

-thao

p.s. a welded diff is a ticking time bomb. so brace yourself and drive with caution. i was luckly enough to have the rear locked up at slow speed.
wow... that is scary. This thread was kind of refreshing, definitely pumped me up in getting mine welded... then I read your post >.< It lasted you 8 months?

Lets start up a different convo about welded diffs... how long did your welded diff last? Longer than 8 months?

240sxs13sleeper

^^^^^ yep at first i was so hyped about it.. mostly about how long they lasted..lol.. not only that .. there was a how to : welded diff.. and on top of that my friends dad was a pro.. 8 years welder. i was so like theres no way nothing is going to happen. then boom!!!!

for some side notes.. i DD my car and barely drifted.. mostly in the rain and sometimes in the dry at empty open parking lots moral of the story peeps.. save up for a aftermarket LSD.

-thao

nam3less
Car: 1990 240sx

I guess i should start saving up then

ssuto14
Car: nissan skyline gtr

i have two lsd's on my skyline gtr... and a welded diff in my truck... welded diffs are not bad.. as long as ur not truly racing... i mean being certified.. sooo f it and weld that beast! lol ppl are just puntangs... its all learning experiences... if u dont like it then go to the damn junkyard and get another one... lol

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”