Welded Differentials

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
E7-S14
Car: ess 14 foo!

Kamin wrote:it absolutely does NOT work like a real LSD on track. if it did, why do people spend 1000$ on kaaz/cusco/ATS/nismo diffs?

there is a HUGE difference in the way the car feels with a welded diff and a true LSD.
damn..guess i was wrong my badbut id does make sense.. y they buy tru lsd's for track car.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

welded diffs only make sense on a drag car...

Besides Eddie Griffin, who likes understeer?

Matej

If someone can't control a car with a welded diff, then the person will struggle even more when handling a car with any other kind of a diff.I drove my car a few times in the snow this winter, and I knew exactly which way the rear end will go. When I drove with an open diff the winter before that, I had no idea which side the open diff would send me to.It's all a matter of learning the welded diff's limits in different conditions.

Understeer = taking turns at unsafe speeds, which is a driver error. Also, many "regular" drivers I know brake during the turn, which is bad and is many times the reason for wrecks caused by understeer. I always tell them to brake and slow down to a safe speed before the turn, and then step back on the gas during the turn.

Matej

By the way, I know that a welded diff will never be the best for street, or any kind of racing (except drag racing), but this is the drift forum, and I'm building my car for drifting first and foremost, and I believe that a welded diff works the best for drifting. I know that many will disagree with me, but everyone has their own opinion.

stopsnitchin
Car: 93 nissan 240sx

adrians_s13 wrote:my buddy just recently got in an accident, and I'm blaming it on his welded diff (and a lot of other things too like rain, but who knows).

People hear welded diffs and they're all "OMFG JDM OVERSTEER!!" but they forget that it understeers like a bitxh too, esp at slower speeds (when both wheels should not be at the same speed).

I'd rather take vlsd or even hlsd over welded (as far as daily driven goes).

Yes its predictable, but it understeers like a bitxh too at times...
FINALLY!!! some people with a head on their shoulders!!! (Kamin and adrians_s13) thank you!!! I only have 2 things to say...

1) welded diffs are ghetto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) I was just looking up at the top and it says "NICO- we take our nissans seriously" anybody that rocks a welded diff obviously doesent take their car seriously because they cheap out instead of doing it right the 1st time!!

peace out and

StopSnitchin

Matej

Wait, this is the forum where I'm supposed to take my Nissan seriously? I'm in the wrong place!

SumoBrian
Car: 240sx

haha awsome

I have a welded diff, It gets the job done, and all i do with it is DD.I Love when it rains now.

stopsnitchin
Car: 93 nissan 240sx

Matej wrote:Wait, this is the forum where I'm supposed to take my Nissan seriously? I'm in the wrong place!
actually, IM in the wrong place. too many ricers in this thread.

Matej

My Nissan is a joke, and I <3 it.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

LOL

BuLLeTdrift
Car: 91 240sx fast baq

Yup, I'ma ricerI dont take my Nissan seriousI'm a cheap bastard...

I got a welded so the above statements must be true right?

scruffy63
Car: my nissan 240sx

stopsnitchin wrote:actually, IM in the wrong place. too many ricers in this thread.
What is with you and ricers. from my experience with ricers, they could not handle a welded diff. I personally chose to get a welded diff b/c of the cost, predictability, and lack of constant maintenance. But anyway just b/c you disagree with welded diffs doesn't mean you have to hate on the people that can handle them.

E7-S14
Car: ess 14 foo!

ricers?

i woulndt sell my Nissan ever.. if i had to id buy another Nissan..pref.a 240i take my car very seriously..the only part on my car that could be considered rice(by few) is my 3 inch catback..with "coffee can" canister

but thats what i like and in no way consider rice.

thekidzkid25
Car: 91 240sx sr20det, subaru legacy awd

i have a j30 diff and im not sure if welding my diff is better or running the j30, plus i do alot of DD...is it more of an opinion then reliabilty

sycorax
Car: R32 Skyline Rb25det

i dont kno if any of you have tryed this but if you want a very reliable twin spinning lsd then instead of wielding it up you can just add more shimms to the diff, if you add enough it will preform as a wielded diff, works on vlsd's from silvias and skylines not shor about any others but if your diff is getting worn and unreliable you can add another shim to the standard 1 inside the diff and it will make it tighter. as aposed to spending over 1200 on a 2 way. a shim costs about $12 from nissan and thats new zealand dollars
Modified by sycorax at 6:46 PM 5/6/2007

ripperstatus
Car: 1990 240sx

i have an s13 and a d21/ car an truck. i welded them and the truck drives ok. it dose not turn going slow as good but all but i like it. 4x4 great. my 240 is great to. i have had no problem with it. drifts good to.

welded that **** $10 to $20 or lsd like $300

JuanDoe
Car: 240sx

...poor ferrari!

scruffy63
Car: my nissan 240sx

JuanDoe wrote:...poor ferrari!

b16box
Car: s13 hatch, ef hatch

well i just my installed my welded diff tonight at school... i must admit it is the best money ive spent so far on the car!also it still drives well on the highway to my suprise!

240RB1
Car: 03 G35
92 Z32
95 ZJ

i have had my welded diff since december and have had no problems with it. it does chirp and is a little annoying when turning on gravel or very tight spaces but you get used to it and you learn to drive different in the rain

240sxs13sleeper
Car: space shuttle

hey guys, just wanted to tell you i got my differential welded just over a month ago . my best friend and i done everything ourself and his dad is a pro welder for like 10yrs so i just told him where to weld... it was a PITA to take down and put back up... took us the whole day.. from 2 in the afternoon to 7 at night. all i gotta say is i love it. it was worth it. it was a bit rough at first but i got used to it already.

to !240rb! above ^ with it welded..you drive with more caution and turn slower also. but in other cases... you give it a bit of gas and youll be making right turns... turning left.

Welded Diff FTW!!!
Modified by 240sxs13sleeper at 2:04 PM 12/24/2007

240RB1
Car: 03 G35
92 Z32
95 ZJ

(Quote)-to !240rb! above ^ with it welded..you drive with more caution and turn slower also. but in other cases... you give it a bit of gas and youll be and you right turns... turning left.

Hell yea

Yangs S14
Car: R.I.P 1995 240sx and now a s13 1989 hatchh

lol i rock a welded too!!

i dont see any problems w/ welding, it is annoying during normal daily driving, but its not that bad, and yes welding is ghetto, but id rather save couple bills and use it to other mods than get a 2 way, i will eventually get a 2 way but for now the welded is making me happy! yes it does tend to understeer at first and then oversteer...but its not that hard to control..

welded FTW hahahaha NOT if you cant afford much get a welded..lol if your baller get a 2way..or a viscous works too...but still more than what i paid for mine..lol

nieko
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

i live in socal im planning on getting my diff welded, does anyone know of a good shop down here that would do it? and how much? thanks in advance

boj240
Car: 93 hatch sr

nieko wrote:i live in socal im planning on getting my diff welded, does anyone know of a good shop down here that would do it? and how much? thanks in advance
WELD THAT BIHH... welded FTMFWMF! roffles

1unar3clipse
Car: 93 240sx HB, 01 Dodge Dakota SLT

I rocked a Spool in my 79 trans-am, little different then a welded diff construction wise but a little before deciding on the 240 being my next track car I drove one in calabasas with a welded diff and the owner was nice enough to give me directions to a big open walmart parking lot where he told me to go stir wild to see if I liked it.and to be honest to this day the only reason I have a 180sx vlsd is because I got it for less than $50 in the end. almost bought a welded a few weeks back because I would endure swapping them for track use and then DD use.

GTS4-R
Car: my feet

ive driven welded, kaaz 2 way and silvia vlsd....I LOVE THE WELDED THE BEST for drifting....the vlasd was better for daily driving but actually sucked and understeered MORE when drifting....i hated it.....the kaaz is nice and noisey but still doesnt ever lock 100%...the welded it truely LOCKED u cant ask for better when fdrifting....i daily drive the welded with no power steering....and im fine with it im always worried about cops when im taking a slow corner and chirping my tires but no tickets yet

GTS4-R
Car: my feet

WELDED!!!!!

dcmxsa
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx

nieko
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx

i asked up there awhile ago^^^^ about where i could get it welded because i really want to now after reading about them PLEEEASSEEE let me know where i could go and how much it would be! would i have to take it off? or would they do it there? etc

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”