welded differential..

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
jnay
Car: 91' 240sx in progress

i posted this in the nissan tech forum but im gonna post it here because it looks like this would be the place to post it.

anyone have a welded differential? how is it? does it lock up? any problems? if i have an open differential, can i have it welded? a lot of people say this a good way to go if you dont have enough money to buy a kaaz or nismo lsd.

thanks for the info

raging panda
Car: s13 coupe

i have a welded, perfect if you dont mind a loud ride, and you dont drive like an *** hole, because you will spin out if you think you are some kind of gifted driver. its always locked up so thats kind of a null question, being welded means nothing moves inside the diff, the only thing that gives is the tires. you should probably search around since this has been covered before and you don't have a strong grasp on the idea of a welded diff.

sleepyRPS13
Car: to sleep

heres my exp from driving weld diff everyday.

you will feel a push from cornering (that also means understeer is lurking tryin to getcha)

help smoothn out some bumpy roads

help you get up high entrance/entries (instead of doin the one wheel burnout)

expect a lot of tire chirping

you wont spinout like that guy said ,but be careful in the rain. (pls dont do donuts on the middle of intersection. police might think its me but i know its that 86 guy! bastard)

my tire is fine from 12K+ mile (might be more)& from never rotatin tires, but it is aligned properly.

low maintenance , no special fluid to buy. just reg gear oil.

chatter from low speed corning (really low like 5mph, also depends on the pavement)

open diff is prefered, cant (or difficult) weld vlsd or any type of lsd.

etc etc... i got tired

Akihisa
Car: 300zx, Italjet Formula 50Lc, Italjet Dragster 180

I run a welded diff. Just be sure to take the diff out of the pumpkin before you weld it. The first one I did I didnt take it out and the spatter that came off while welding screwed all the bearings up.

spec-u-later
Car: Yaris...FML

Welded diff works fine. No noise except tire chirp on tight corners. It's free what do you expect?

DrifterBoy240
Car: 1991 nissan 240sx

i have a welded diff and i think that its a little more predictable in any condition except snow but i havent drivin in snow yet this year so here in a few months ill find out.

driftin2trance
Car: 96 240sx

where do u guys take it to weld it? and how long have u been running with them?

my buddy had some bad experince with welded diffs but i think he is getting it welded all wrong, because he had 3 already and 2 of them shot something out of the casing about the size of a quarter.

pregmantis

Take the diff t a good welder. I think the weak spot would be the welds and then the spidergear pin. I have been using mine for bout 4 years....dngerous in the rain,noisy on slow turns but very predictable and fun.

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

Just get it done right. You may look like some tard when you are in a busy parking lot trying to park. Some people have horror stories with welded diffs most of the time it wasn't done right. Tires will wear out much quicker and road courses and autoX will be out of the question if you are trying to do decent. Weld it then save for a real diff down the road or buy a vlsd and sell it for what you bought it for when you get a real diff.

raging panda
Car: s13 coupe

i wouldnt auto x one, but road course i disagree. Apparently a lot of budget road racers run welded differentials, the only time you really notice the unit not slipping is slow 2nd gear stuff. so welded diff for road racing = yes

being that this is the drift forum, i would always say no to vlsd.

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

Say no to a VLSD and sell it a year later for almost what you paid for it, I would think that would be the way to go. Not everyone can drop $800 on a 2-way. He probably doesn't even have coils or a decent seat yet.

sleepyRPS13

was going to autox but been so busy with school and my kid plus studying for my ase. arrgg no life

driftin2trance

i autox but i havent with the welded diff, i guess i will find out in 3 weeks cuse the next one is this weekend but i wont have the welded diff by then

Anand

welded diff would not be good for autox.

I am running a welded... welded it while it being in the pumpkin..

it makes cool chirps while making sharp turns at low speed. I also have sub frame collars and so my car makes all kinds of noise but no more than a 2 way would.

if you drift or want to get good at it.. I say, just do it..

the way your car will handle out there is like night and day.

driftin2trance

yea, i know its gonna suck for autox but i love to autox on the weekends so i will do it anyways. i guess i will be the slowest guy out there cuase i will be over and under steering like a bia

sleepyRPS13

thats it im goin autox mine. as soon i get some 615 and do some alignement, bleed,flush at my school. ill be ready.

anyone going to the thundergrip & slip&grip @ thunderhill?

Dookie
Car: 1993 240sx Coupe

+1 for welded diffs, i love mine. Tested it out for the grind event in houston and i love it to death. Awesome event, I know me and Anand had a good timeThings Ive noticed:1. DDing the car, the car tends to understeer when doing tight turns, not a big problem, just dont go in as fast2. Diff makes some cool noise when doing tight turns, and people stare at you.3. Swapping a diff on gravel sucksOther than that, its freaking awesome. Have yet to do extensive testing in the rain. Not sure whats gonna happen if I nail a puddle

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

I too run a welded and love it. I got to test it in the rain it slides out EASILY, just be very careful. I had lots of fun in the rain though.

driftin2trance

thats one thing i am worried about, is rain. but i guess i will have to take the beast (volvo) out if it rains.

sleepyRPS13

i have no probs in the rain, especially on the rainy season. but if it ever snow'd in cali ill be skerd. water & oil is pretty scary too.

driftin2trance

i dont have any problems in the rain but i have to drive normal and not drift every turn, cause they i may spin out. but i love my welded diff.

kamikazi
Car: 1989 240sx coupe sr20det

i would have to say weld it if you dont have the money but i bought a skyline vlsd with 7k on it and its prolly the best 300 ive spent on the car so far.

driftin2trance

my welded was 100, thats with buying a spare diff and welding it. i kept mine for "just in case" reasons.

SlIp'n'sLiDe
Car: 240

do it i have it on my coupe and i love it, but that new set of tires that i went through in 1 week didnt seem to agree with it too well...lol

driftin2trance

yea, i go through like 3-4 sets in a month. hahaha

Ender_Zero
Car: '03 Base Z, '91 S13 Coupe

where do you normally go to get your diff welded? should i go to a shop that has a lot of welding experience eg. a muffler shop, or should i just go to a performance shop?

BuLLeTdrift
Car: 91 240sx fast baq

raging panda wrote:....being that this is the drift forum, i would always say no to vlsd.
vlsd are great for drifting. not the best like a clutch type, but looking at my sig, an all stock 240 is very drift-able with a vLSD. Like i said, they are not the best, but you can find them under $300 (I got one at 250 installed, and my second one for 150) and they are awesome. My homie who one the Falken Drift Showoff a few months back in Berkeley Ca, told me he tried a welded diff, and preferred vLSD well over it. Even with that said, I'll still prolly try a welded..lol.

Basically i just wanted to say vLSD's are great for drifting and all around driving. Peace.

driftin2trance

Ender_Zero wrote:where do you normally go to get your diff welded? should i go to a shop that has a lot of welding experience eg. a muffler shop, or should i just go to a performance shop?
i took mine to a place nascar shop where they weld diffs for the cars and other stuff.

hazw8st

It will eat up your tires quick....

driftin2trance

mine go pretty quick but thats because i do a lot of donuts and burnouts. LOL

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”