welded differential..

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
alpalwal

How exactly do you remove the diff from the pumpkin?

Kornkidz
Car: 1990 240 SX

driftin2trance wrote:i took mine to a place nascar shop where they weld diffs for the cars and other stuff.
I am defenatly ready to get my DIFF welded..but i dont know where to go to??? I dont weld my self so i cant do it on my own...but what did you say in the statment above i dont really understand you???

Does anyone know any So Cal places that will weld a DIFF??

driftin2trance
Car: 96 240sx

make sure its a good shop that has done it before. couple of my friends took it someplace where they never welded diffs and he popped three (blows a junk out off the diff about a quarter size). i took mine to a nascar shop, they build mini race cars and they have done it before. its an old shop. ask them if they had experince in welding diffs. you can take it to a off road truck shop, they weld diffs too. but they will tell u not to take it on the road cause they dont want to be responsible it if pops and locks the rear when ur goin down the interstate and wreck and die. you dont want to have cold welds and u dont want to over crank the welder so it messes up the structure of the metal teeth and they break. just takes experience. i had mine since october and i love it. i drive on long trips and its cool. however, if i go to a drift event i bring my spare open diff just in case. hope u find a good place and works out for u. good luck!

Kornkidz

sorry about being a little late on reading the info...but thanks alot i really appreicate it. Theres an off road trucks parts place right by my house so i'll swing by there...i think im going to go with the welded diff....that seems to be the best thing for a BROKE MANS LSD!!!

driftin2trance
Car: 96 240sx

yea, give it a try. many people dont like it. i do. it was cheap and i will save up to get a 2way later on. just be prepared that if something happens u have the parts and u can have down time. i carry my spare open diff to drift/autox events.

Kornkidz

hahahha yeah i will go ahead and pick up a spare diff at some auto wreck yard or something...problem is here in california(so cal) i can never seem to find but maybe 1 or 2 s13 in the junk yard...and there usually already ripped up...but i will keep on searching

sleepyRPS13
Car: to sleep

try weld locd 4 from luke... [email protected]

more info here: http://www.shockdrifting.com

zeause

I know this is an old thread, but has any1 ever taken their cars over 100 or faster with a welded dif? Is it safe? lol

LayNLow240
Car: 92 240 coupe

Mine has been up to about 135 and it was fine... on a track of course.Edit: scratch that, got it up to 150 no problems from the diff, although that was a very large back straight at the track i was at.
Modified by LayNLow240 at 5:51 AM 11/23/2008

BuLLeTdrift
Car: 91 240sx fast baq

lol this is an old *** thread ha. Lookin back at what i said i still didn't even have a welded diff yet.

I've taken mine well over 100 mph and i'm not sure of top speed at initiation, buddy of mine told me i was above 80, but that was when i was KA.

If its done by a reputable person, going over 100 is safe... on a track. How Safe can 100 MPH be anywhere else lol?? If it breaks, it doesn't really matter if your going over 50 period. Just get one that is done right.

DriftThatS13
Car: 91' Nissan S13 Silvia

do wat i do if you are mechanically incline and have enough patients. Welded diff on streets is a horrible idea its loud and you will be curping every turn. A good idea is go to a junk yard and buy a diff. for cheap and weld that one and every event that you go to or meet just swap them out. It will save the life of your tires and the welded diff trust me!!! you nedd to safe money now a days you kno .

n00d1ek1ng
Car: 1996 240sx

get welded if you wanna drift.get a real lsd if you wanna do anything else...or if you have money..

.humblexone.
Car: hopefully a 91' 240sx coupe.

im close to purchasing a 240 with a welded diff, the only thing is iam a first time driver and still learning.was wondering if their is anyway to unwelding it?or would i have to just buy a new diff all together?any help would be appriciated

zeause

you cant just unweld stuff. sorry buddy. you can find these rearends cheap as s*** tho. you can get 1 out of a s13 or s14 no matter what yours is and yous your dif cover on it.

SLiguykyle
Car: 1993 S13 hatch
1989 S13 coupe

so i have an open diff in my S14 right now. i have a VLSD out of an S13 with 8Kmiles on it that i got for free. what should i do? weld or install VLSD? (i plan on drifting alot, but it also has to be my DD for now)

or should i buy a KAAZ 2-way? O.o

zeause

ive heard when you drift a vlsd will get hot and quit working. a 2 way is pretty much the same as a welded diff. if you plan on drifting a lot but want to daily drive it 1.5 would probly be the way to go imo. there is a lot of ppl that daily welded diff cars tho.

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

Two of my friends have s13 with welded diffs. They drive them year round in ohio weather. No issues what so ever.

When I drive my friends s13 I dont even notice the diff. If you have quick reactions and skill theres no issues.

I have a kaaz 2way I picked up for $650 two years ago. Its awesome if you have the money. Little DD tire wear, and instant lock up any time you need it. I have almost 30K miles on my kaaz and its still awesome.

Although if the VLSD has 8k on it and not 80K, Id probably use it. As long as your not making 250+WHP it'll be hard to over heat a FRESH VLSD like that. However anything over 50K miles I wouldn't touch, just go welded or kaaz.

Joe

zeause wrote:ive heard when you drift a vlsd will get hot and quit working. a 2 way is pretty much the same as a welded diff. if you plan on drifting a lot but want to daily drive it 1.5 would probly be the way to go imo. there is a lot of ppl that daily welded diff cars tho.
LOL a 2 way is NOT the same as a welded diff.

BuLLeTdrift
Car: 91 240sx fast baq

I'm shocked that this thread is still popping up every other year. haha.

I just wanted to throw this in the mix. My G/F has a welded diff in her S14 and daily drives that to work everyday, shopping on weekends, ect ect (along with fence pipes lol). She can handle it, ITS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL. Welded diffs do not eat up tires as bad as people who paid 100's of dollars on clutch types say they do. If you are going to get into drifting and are contemplating getting a vLSD or a welded, just get the freakin diff welded and do it now. Summer time is coming up and you will have plenty of time to learn how to drive it before the winter comes. My girl has driven on the welded all winter long in the rain and if she can handle it, most of you can. I say most cuz i well damn, i see people crash and wonder how they got a drivers license. Man up and do it, or build your show car.

Edit: In case you're wondering about performance while drifting, its just as good as an expensive 2-way. Most predictable way to set up your car. I probably wont every get a clutch type unless I get sponsored by a company and they give me one for free.

6bolt4g63
Car: 1990 S13

I just had a quick Q, is there a difference between welding an open diff and a VLSD?? Im on a decent budget so i am going to try the welded diff first and see how it goes.

zeause

Nope youll get the same outcome. But if your talking for a fwd or awd(judging by 4g63) differential idk.

edit: nvmd i read under your name. lol

Sturge
Car: s13 sil80 with rb25

This is my diff just after welding! works a treat but scrubs like mad when trying to park!

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Ok, this is probably a gay bump to some of you guys but whatever...

How long does it take to drop the diff and put a new one in? I'm contemplating just buying a separate diff (welded) and only putting it in when I want to do an event.

So yeah, how long would it take to change it? I will have access to an impact gun which I'm sure helps. Thanks.

RustspecS13
Car: '74 260z and '88 300zx turbo

Depending on the condition of the car, any where from 45min to 2 hours.

its really not that bad, Ive done like 5 diff installs/removes.

~Alex

NismoZRS
Car: 92 S13 Coupe

how hard and time consuming is it to swap differentials?? ive never had to work on one before..

i'd buying another differential soon and having it welded but i only want it on my car when i'm learning to drift..

w0nderbr3ad
Car: 1990 240sx with ka24de swap

When I installed my welded diff it took me just about 2hrs to do it myself with a hydraulic jack and a 100pc tool set. Welded diff gets pretty heavy to lift into place so be careful or have a friend help out too.

I've daily driven on my welded for a good year now and tire life is a bit shorter on softer tires and is decent for daily use. drifting on a welded is so much easier to learn on at a track day. After 2 track days my initiations have started a bit earlier than the first.

Rlmoore88
Car: 1996 Nissan 240sx

Any shops to do this in the Southern OR area?

benarovi561
Car: 92 black hatch

anybody want to tell me why its harder to park?

Joe

benarovi561 wrote:anybody want to tell me why its harder to park?
when you take a corner, the inside wheel travels a shorter distance. hence the need for a differential. with it welded they will always want to go straight. its also why they understeer more in corners while drifting/on track.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Whoever is on the fence about one of these, just get one. Quit your b****ing.

Got mine today. Yeah the tires make noise at turns under 15mph but it's not a big deal. Much better than paying $600+ for a clutch type if you can't swing that kind of money.

Do it.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”