Welcome to the no fly list, halfway through your flight.

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/50309
One man’s tropical paradise is another man’s prison. Imagine being “stuck” on Oahu. I’m sure you could think of worse situations, but really stop and think about the following true and evolving situation. You’re a “normal” 34 year-old guy, live on the U.S. mainland in Gulfport, Mississippi, and recently married a woman who is a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy stationed in Okinawa.

You’re a citizen of the United States and possess a valid U.S. issued passport. You’re not a criminal and have no history of felony or misdemeanor convictions. In fact, you recently passed a background check to own and carry a firearm in Mississippi. You are, however, an outspoken patriot for the United States Constitution.

You miss your bride of eight months, and decide to fly to Okinawa to visit her. Because you are the “dependent” of an active duty member of the U.S. military, you make arrangements to fly from San Francisco to Okinawa on a military aircraft. You must still have a ticket, pass the screening procedures similar or even more stringent than those flying on normal commercial airlines. After the screening at the airport, you board the plane and settle in for your flight, counting down the hours until you are reunited with your wife.

The plane lands in Hawaii as scheduled for refueling and maintenance. It is here, after re-boarding the aircraft, that two heavily-armed military guards confront you and tell you that you must leave the plane. They take you to a small room at the military base and advise you that you are on the U.S. “No-Fly” list. You’re not under arrest, but you’re not free to go until they decide what to do with you. You watch as your plane, as well as your hopes of seeing your bride vanish into the air while under the careful watch of two heavily armed military police officials.

What’s going on?

As you sit in a small room, thoughts race through your mind. Why am I here? It must be some mistake. I’ve committed no crime. Like any “normal” American, You expect the matter to be resolved as there must be some mix-up. Then, an official with the Customs and Border Enforcement arrives and tells you that there is no mix-up. The official rattles off your name, date of birth, social security number and complete identifying information. It’s you alright, and you are officially on the “No-Fly” list.

“How did you get on that plane?” asks the Customs and Border Enforcement official. You reply that you had a normal ticket, passed through the screening process and boarded the plane normally and without incident. You are told that you should not have been permitted to fly. Again, you are on the “No-Fly” list. You reply that there has to be a mistake, and are met with the stern reply of the official: there is no mistake.

You then ask why you are on the “No-Fly” list and are told that you are not permitted to know. At this point, they tell you that you are free to go, but you cannot fly anywhere by orders of the United States government. And there you are, in “paradise” but unable to leave.
Now, here you have a law-abiding citizen who is put on this list in mid trip and now stranded on Hawaii. The government refuses to explain why he is on this mysterious list and says "too bad."

He has been deprived of his liberty, namely his ability to travel when he is in possession of all the necessary paperwork in the form of his passport, has provided the means through a legally purchased ticket. The government refuses to identify exactly why this is denying him his fifth amendment right to due process.

I know everybody keeps saying jobs are the most important thing, some blatantly admitting that the other stuff is an afterthought, but this is the tearing asunder of essential Constitutional rights by a shadowy government operating outside its purview and with no check on these rapacious powers they have awarded themselves.

People better wake the f*** up and start watching the big picture. both Obama and Romney support this sort of s***. :slap:

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/fly- ... IPqtVFsCSo
He got a hotel room at the Pearl Harbor naval base while he worked things out. Being on the list didn't stop him from staying on a base that's home to submarines, cruisers and destroyers.

Hicks said he called politicians in Mississippi and Hawaii and brainstormed ways to get home with friends, speculating on taking a private plane, a cruise ship or even a fishing boat from Alaska. He then got a call on Thursday that he had been removed from the no-fly list.

Hicks planned to take a military flight back to California on Friday to meet his wife, who will be coming from Japan, and said he plans to seek to recoup his added travel costs from the government.
I want to know why his plane was diverted to Hawaii. Most trans-pac flights to Japan go north through Alaska. There's more to this story than what you see here.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Interesting story, and at face value, it sounds like a major mistreatment. But I'm wondering what happened for him to end up on that list.

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Do no fly lists extend to chartered flights, or private pilots? Not to say his treatment was right, I agree with HiJacker, seems some info is still missing. No fly listing should offer flights with marshal supervision or something, at the listees expense perhaps, so that at least they dont get stranded, or have the option of travel.

The no fly list ends up sorta like the child predator list, some folks end up on it for the stupidest reasons.

themadscientist

MAC flight. It was a space available hop on a military plane so the plane was going to Hawaii and he caught a ride.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Was it a MAC flight or was it a military 737 flying trans-pac (not sure if MAC flights are only cargo with seats or if it encompasses all military flights)? Either or, jurisdiction of who flies on the planes is totally in the hands of the military. The government's no-fly is enforced on the commercial side by air marshals if I'm not mistaken. I dunno, the whole story just sounds shaky.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Before I form an opinion, I'll need more then a "basic" background check reference. How do we know who his acquaintances are, how do we really know what he says and to whom? We have a journalists pov, that's all. I trust that as much as I trust a stranger at Walmart. We've had active duty members of the Military plotting acts of terrorism, to include the murder of elected officials.

What we have here is one side to a story.

themadscientist

We will never know. It has been demonstrated time and again that the reasons for being on this guest list are not forthcoming. It's almost like the people of this country don't have any constitutional due process and the government feels it can act with impunity. I can understand why they feel that way, they can and they do meanwhile in this election cycle I hear more concern about Obama's birth certificate and Romney's binder of women. We are f***. :rolleyes:

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

WDRacing wrote:What we have here is one side to a story.
I find this true of just about everything the media has to say ... that is often very one-sided! :yesnod

Z

Return to “Politics Etc.”