WELCOME MR.Q

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
MR. Q

Hello everyone out there my name is Leon and i'm 19 years old with a 90 silver Q45. To be honest I think that the 1st GEN Q45 is one of the best cars ever made. If u look at it the engine and how the interior is it's just a weel thought out car. My dad has a 91 and I feel in love with the car. Later on down the road he got me a 90 Q. My insurance is about $357 a month. I'm tryin to paid that car off asap so I can get started on some better rims . I was think about some 19's or 20's on chrome and lowerin it. I plan on putting it in shows because I dont see any there. I also want to start a all Q club so we can go across the nation like bikers and other car clubs do. NICO can sponsor it. It's a great idea.

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

Welcome aboard. These guys have steered me in the right direction on a number of ocassions and saved me TONS of money. They will do the same for you. I'll help if i can but there are better people for the job here than me.

Post up some pics of the Q when you get a chance.

Rex
Car: None

Firts things first, since both you and your Dad have pre-94 Q's, have the timing guides been changed? This is a critical item to be addressed with all 90-93 Q's. Failure to do so, will result in terminal engine damage.

Let's cover the basics first, then move on to cosmetic/perfromance modifications .

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

I was trying to avoid scaring the crap out of him right away.

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

Q_SHIP wrote:I was trying to avoid scaring the crap out of him right away.
Hahaha...well it's either be scared or devistated...pick your poison. Mr. Q, Rex is right though. You and your Dad seem to love Q's enough to take the guides into consideration. You should defititely read into it. Congrats on the Q though! I like the cross country Q idea. Let's just hope we all can make it all the way LOL...

BTW, I'm taking a breather right now from starting on my chain guide job...

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

Welcome. I can't believe what you are paying for insurance, it better be full coverage for that insane price! Even when I was younger with points on my license I never paid more than half that! Sorry, I'm shocked.

Follow the advice of those that have gone before you, read Qtech's posts, and make sure abou the chain guides. A little money can save you a car there. Good luck with it!

MR. Q

No we havent. Thats one of my priorities though. My dad has the chain guides for his he just hasnt had a chance to get them on. The thing that is wierd is that he has 209000 on his engine and it's still running strong. I messed up when we first got mines by dropping the black waher that goes in between the injector in the intake hole. I put it back together and next thing you know theres a big loud pop and I found out that I cracked a piston. The engine is heavy because when they took it out my car was sitting real high. The only improvements that I have made are 16 inch rims and a $219 tint job. I also need struts all the way around. By the way my car has 140k. A used engine was installed at 125k. When me and my dad bought it the Q had 124k.

MR. Q

Yeah it's full coverage and i'm in the state of washington where alot of kids get killed in accidents. But most of all its the full coverage. I owe about 1k then she'll be all mines.

gniknave

I bought my Q with 207k on it and an already dead engine. The previous owner thought it was overheated to the max and would never start again. Well it didn't ever start again, but they were only half right about the overheating.

Yes it did hurt the engine, but after I had it replaced and I got curious and opened up the timing chain cover and saw the chain appeared to have skipped teeth and the guides cracked to all hell. Don't wanna scare you, but it would suck to owe 1k on a car and have the guides fail. You don't hear or see it coming.

If you have alternate transportation, I'd use until those things are done

MR. Q

Yeah you guys are right my dadgot his for $90 from a good NISSAN parts seller how much do they actually cost andwhere could I get them done at

Rex
Car: None

If you keep the RPM's down (well below 4K) you can imrove your chances, but the guides will eventually fail. Also, the cooler weather and religious OCI's (Oil Change Intervals) help.

I have a 94, and thus never looked into pricing the guides, but call Joe (Infiniti of Scottsdale, look for banner ad to right) and he'll give you the NICO deal.

Joe Tesensky. He is the INET parts manager of Scottsdale Infitnti (aka infintipartsusa.com), always hooks us up with good deals.

1-888-216-5328

gniknave

My guide kit cost $400 and that was 20% off list through my old employer. Where you can get them done? You gotta find a mechanic you have some faith in. Or, you can do like me and go the DIY route...though I have no results yet. I've done months of reSEARCH, I've been studying the basics of my engine, and I've done a lot of walk arounds to get familiar and comfortable doing the job.

Do it right and save yourself the $$$. Do it wrong...

I'd rather be the one to risk killing my car and learn something from it, than let a mechanic mess up and kill it and come out of it with nothing.

metaverse3

Something is wrong with your insurance.. $357 is not even a starter price. I'm assuming base liability depending on how much it is worth to you.. You only insure what you can't afford to replace. If that car is replaceable, you had better go back and revisit the coverage you have..

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I don't necessarily agree with the statement that "You only insure what you can't afford to replace". I have full coverage on all my cars. I could replace them, if necessary. I just weigh the cost of insurance against the probability of some uninsured person driving a "rolling total" car, with no valid driver's license. I have been hit twice by such drivers in the past, and prefer to have rental car, coverage, and the option of getting the car fixed or replaced.

Full ocverage is only $50 more per month than just liability. That is $600 per year. I would rather pay $600 per year, than loose my investment. I keep in tyouch with my agent, and re-evaluate the value of my car each year.

It is kinda strange that you pay the same ammount for full ocverage, regarldess of the car's mileage. When they find out that it has over 200K miles on it, they depreciate it roughly to half of what it would be worth, if it had only 70K miles. Why isn't the insurance premium reduced, based on the mileage?

My insurance agent will pay out $4000 for Layla, and $8000 for Lola, if totaled. When the value reaches $2,500 on Layla, I will drop the full ocverage, and just have liability.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”