Weird Spot on the exterial paint, and unsymitrical gap when the back is closed.

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Ah Q
Car: 04 Murano SE & 08 EX 35

Got my EX yesterday, took it out for a spin with a couple of friends today. They have noticed there is a weird spot at the back of the car, and under the sun, it does shows different. When i touch it, it is not as smooth as the rest of the area (kind of dull, instead of the metalic shine).

I took it back to the dealer immediately, but unfortunately, the detail shop is closed, and the sales basically said it is normal, and they ask me to use a blow dryer to smooth it out. Kind of weird, and i am hesitate to do anything about it. Will bring the car back early next Monday for them to take care of it.

Second problem i have noticed was when i close the back door, there seem to be a huge gap between the back door and the rest of the car. And the GAP is not the same on both side. I went througo a couple of cars in the dealership show room, some have similar problem, but some doesn't. I am also asking the dealer to re-adjust the door to make sure it fits right.

Does anyone had similar problem?

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Welcome to the forum, Ah Q!

I find the build quality on my EX to be much below standard. A few of us have noticed squeaking in the cabin (e.g. due to the driver's seat rubbing against the center console - my dealer is still investigating possible remedies), a few of my body panels didn't line up (my hood was adjusted satisfactorily, but others are just so-so even after the dealer's "best" efforts), and inside, the top trim piece on the passenger door is almost 1/4" higher than the corresponding piece on the dash (unlike the driver's side which lines up perfectly - dealer said, no adjustment possible).

I just noticed last night on the driver's door armrest that the glue has let go and there's an air bubble between the material and the door-panel/armrest.

To be honest, with Infiniti being a premium brand and their supposed reputation, I was expecting MUCH better.

So sadly, my experience is similar to yours.

Cheers,David

Ah Q

in deed, i am disappointed with the quality with EX. Although the sale person has been quite helpful, but it is really an hassle having to deal with those after paying 40K+ for a car.

With regard to the paint, i took it in today, and they have their detailer looked at. They used a heat gun to get the moisture out, but it is not working as they expected. I will have to go back again and have them keep the car for the day or 2 to fix this. Well, at least i get to drive a G35.

I am also asking them to look at the back door (hatch door), and i am putting in a safety argument for the GAP. It can fit a finger (child's finger), and it is potentially harmful to kids. Although this might be an over-exaggurated argument, but it is still quite valid. In my opinion (but sadly), US corporation will tend to pay more attention to those kind of defect, as it poses a risk to bodily injuries.

I will update the thread with progress.

SalsAsianMike
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey

I've discovered an annoying creak in my center console on the right side of the shifter. All I need to do is touch it with a light amount of pressure to make the noise. And if I hit a bump, it will creak at times.

Doesn't happen on the left side so I figure the console face is not level and there's a gap on the right that's making it do that.

I also have a little scratch on the steering wheel. Can't believe the paint comes off that easy.

I've had Nissans for the last 2 cars and now an Infiniti. They've all had their quirks. But I agree that a $40k car should have better fitment and quality control. Hopefully the dealers will respond positively to their customers.

Modified by SalsAsianMike at 6:55 PM 9/11/2008

Ah Q

Just want to give an update on the 2 issues:

1. Paint issue: Resolved

They replace the entire door from another car.

2. Gap issue: In progress

The dealer are going to try adjusting the door on their loaner EX, (since it has similar issue), and if they figure out a way to adjust it, they will then apply it on my car. Good news is they are looking into this, bad news is, it is still not resolved.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”