Weird ground issue

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
todd5854
Car: 1994 240SX Convertible Limited Edition, White

Hey guys.. I have a '94 vert that has a rear battery conversion.

The entire process was done half a** (by the dumb a** I bought the car from) and he decided it was okay to use 0 gauge sub-amp wiring for the battery terminals. :facepalm: anyway, upon looking at the job done, I see a few questionable things.

In the trunk where the battery is, the ground is bolted to the spare tire bolt. The positive goes through the car, under the carpet, through the firewall, straight to the starter.

-Somewhere- (I will locate this mystery location tomorrow), there is another cable that's 0 gauge amp wire, that comes from inside the dash -somewhere- (again, I will locate this tomorrow), and also comes through the firewall, and goes to an amp distribution block that rests on the side of the strut tower. :facepalm: No insulation, just thrown there against the METAL strut tower / inner fender. :facepalm: This distribution block constantly has power going to it, so I'm assuming its spliced from the red 0 gauge cable that goes straight from the battery.

How I noticed that something was up:
-When I have my mp3 device plugged into the AUX on my car stereo, and charging through the cigarette lighter, I hear RPM- related buzzing coming through the car stereo. This is ONLY going on when the car is running, or on ACC. If I just turn the key to the first notch, the radio does not buzz.

-EGI relay buzzes after turning off ignition. I looked up this issue and it seems to lead to a ground issue.

Should I just go ahead and rip out these wires and follow someone's guide? Or go in there with a volt/continuity meter and try to find the problem?

Pics available upon request

Thanks in advance

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

First I'd move the ground from the spare tire bolt to the frame somewhere.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”