Weird audio problems

Post all your Nissan electronics, car audio and stereo questions here!
mahohmei
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL, CVT

2007 Versa SL, factory radio with aux input.

Ever since we got the car new, we have been using a Delphi RoadyXT XM console via the lighter socket and the aux input. Tired of the quickie job, I did some shopping, got a ProClip bracket and female lighter socket, and went for it.

I spliced the lighter socket into the negative and the "ignition power" wire going to the radio, which I found with a multimeter. I plugged the RoadyXT's lighter adapter into it, wrapped up real good with electrical tape, routed all the wires nearly behind the radio, and I wound up with a very clean-looking install. I did this exact same thing in the past on a 1999 Chevy Malibu and 2010 Honda CR-V; both worked flawlessly.

When I push "AUX", the radio display shows "Aux", ready to receive an input. As soon as I push the RoadyXT's power button, it immediately flips back to radio. If I put "Aux" again, the radio tells me "No Aux". The radio does accept the RoadyXT, however, with the plug halfway into the RoadyXT's dock, but, of course, audio only comes out of the left speaker...and I have to hold the plug at halfway!

I have tested the cable with an ohmmeter; it's fine, and I have tried another cable with the exact same results.

I took the RoadyXT to my indoor dock, and it worked perfectly. I took the car dock inside, plugged in the antenna, power, and audio cables, and it worked perfectly with my home stereo receiver.

I plugged my Android phone into the audio cable in the car, fired up Pandora, and it worked perfectly with stereo audio.

I unplugged the audio cable from the car dock and told it to use the integral FM modulator. Works perfectly at 88.1 FM.

So, I've ruled out a defective dock, RoadyXT, cable, and car radio. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Also, here's another interesting problem: if and only if _both_ the RoadyXT _and_ the car headlights are on, the radio's LCD backlight darkens in beat with the music; it never did this plugged into the lighter socket. My best guess here is that the RoadyXT is sucking just enough current to cause a voltage drop. Does this mean I should go ahead and re-wire the RoadyXT to instead draw power from the car's lighter socket? This wiring job wouldn't be too hard; I'd have to remove the center console and run some 18/2 alarm wire from behind the lighter to behind the radio.

*** _Update_ ***: Instead of a raw 1/8" cable from the RoadyXT to the radio, I inserted a ground loop isolator, and it worked perfectly! Shortly after we got the car, my wife complained that XM had a buzz with the headlights on, so I inserted a ground loop isolator. The radio must be picky...now to solve the pulsating-backlight problem...

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

Nice job on getting the audio issues sorted. For the dimming, I would be looking for a bad connection. Make sure that you splices are soldered. Also take some contact cleaner and clean the contacts in the female adapter plug.

mahohmei

the converted wrote:Nice job on getting the audio issues sorted. For the dimming, I would be looking for a bad connection. Make sure that you splices are soldered. Also take some contact cleaner and clean the contacts in the female adapter plug.
Actually, I figured out the dimming problem. Unlike the Chevy and Honda on which I did the exact same trick in the past, it seems as if the Nissan radio's "switched power" wire is quite thin and designed not to drive the radio, but to switch a relay telling the radio it's OK to be powered on from the fatter "continuous power" wire. I guess the XM console was just causing too much of a voltage drop.

I spliced the lighter socket, wired the XM console to that, and problem solved. :-)

mahohmei

Yet another update: wiring the XM console to the lighter socket also solved my first "No Aux" problem. :-)

Return to “Nissan Audio / Entertainment / Security”