Weird AEB malfunction question, 2018 Rogue...

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
bmatchick
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

Searched, but couldn't find anything like this in the forums or online. I've started having my AEB de-active with a malfunction message on the screen. When I restart the car, everything is OK again. It happened 3 times now, and of course I'm thinking it's some kind of intermittent failure, probably with the sensor behind the front emblem since I know that's a problem. Then I realize it only happens when I am getting ready to turn into the parking lot of my local Kroger. It's only been 3 days, so I don't have enough data, but anywhere else I go, no issues. Use cruise all the time. Nothing yesterday, but tonight I go to Kroger again and it happens right on schedule. Restart the car and it's fine again. I plan on taking a few loops around that block to see if it keeps triggering a malfunction.

So I'm wondering, could there be a microwave source somewhere nearby that causes this? The other thing is that it's a weird intersection and other cars with radar are probably pointing right at me. Can that cause problems? I would think they have some kind of ID to differentiate signals to prevent that, but I don't know much about how the system actually works.

Anyhow, like I said not enough data yet, but I'd like to find out if it could be caused by something else before I go to the dealer and bend over. Haven't priced it, but I'm guessing a new sensor and calibration is at least $1500.

Thanks for any info!
Brian

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The first thing I'd say is, make sure your car has had this recall performed:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 2-0001.pdf

If you're not sure, give the dealer your VIN and they can tell you if there are any open recalls for your ride. If it hasn't been done, the fix is free regardless of time or mileage (most recalls are forever, including this one).

I won't say it's impossible, or even unlikely, that something in the environment is triggering the problem. Weird things can happen when software is involved. The BSW on my wife's '13 Altima triggers every time I take the Reynolds Road jughandle, even though it's a single-lane exit and there's nothing but grass and concrete. Lola still thinks there's a car in her blind spot, and what's going on inside her peabrain processor is anybody's guess. That's like asking why your own brain got fooled by an optical illusion. Does anybody know the exact neural pathway which caused it, including you? Of course not, and the data that triggered it is transitory, so good luck tracing it. We techs are in the same boat as your neurologist, except he has a PET scanner if he really needs an answer. The best advice I can give you is get a good scanner readout from the ADAS, Radar, and Lane Cam. They'll all have "past" codes and maybe you can at least find out which part of the system is originating the DTC.

bmatchick
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL FWD

Thank you. I didn't know about this recall, but I don't think it's been done and will be calling the dealer. When I'm there I can discuss the diagnostic stuff you mention. Today I'll be circling Kroger to see if it really is location specific. :) I was a Un*x systems engineer for 20 years (in a past life), so I know how hard it can be track down intermittent problems. Hopefully whatever codes they find will be useful. Appreciate the advice!

Brian

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”