Weighing the options

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
fasttrack8999

Has anyone dropped an L16 engine into a L320 chassis?  I noticed there are a lot of L16 engine parts available on rockauto.com - wondering if that would be a good way to go.  I'm getting the feeling that the original E1 engine is fading away into history.

Lastly does anyone know if there is much difference between the J13 and J15 parts wise.  This 1965, L320 truck I'm working on has a J-series engine in it but I don't know how to tell if it's a J15 or J13.  Would it even matter when I start chasing down parts.

Learning the ropes here in Seattle

Harold

DanielC

Old hot rod saying.  "Anything can be done, given enough time and money"  
I have not done this swap, but I have owned a 320, and a 520 with the 1200, and 1300 engines, and I currently own most of three PL-521 pickups, and a L-18 with a cracked cylinder head. 
    The L-16 is a much taller motor, due to the OHC, but it is a much better motor.  You probably need a transmission that will  bolt on the L-16, but there are many 4, and five speeds.  I seen to think that the 320 I owned had a non syncro first gear, you could not down shift into first, without doubleclutching, or stopping.  The L-16 was used in the early 510 sedans, and there is a lot of information on that engine there in websites devoted to the 510.  The L-16 is 2/3 of of a 240Z motor, so even some Z car sites are helpful
    You probably need to change the motor mounts, both fronts, and the rear.  The transmission shifter may come through the floor in a different place, maybe even where the seat is.  You might have to change the driveline length, and the coupler where it goes into the transmission.   The regulator for the alternator will have to come with the newer engine, again I think the 320 I had had a generator, and not a Alternator.  Some wireing will have to be changed, due to different distributer location.  
    This is not a comprehensive list, many other changes might have to be made.  Expect the 320 to be not running for a while, if you do a motor swap.  A donor truck would be handy to have, or even an example nearby that you could just look at.
    Rebuilding the current engine would get the 320 running much sooner, I understand that engine series is used in some current forklifts, so parts are available.    I know much less about the 320 than the 521's so some other people might speak up here, also.
    There are quite a few Datsun sites on the web, they might have some info available. 

Return to “Datsun 320”