website layout is up

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
CA18 RS13
Car: non-fwd japanese sports cars

rather then try to get it all done then put up the website i thought it mite be a better idea to put it up section at a time so i can get feedback in the mean time. let me know what you guys think. http://www.ca18det.net

InstantRice

wow thats gonna be really nice when you get done.

Goodbar6

Excelent from what i can see...there is the problem though, on your site, and many other sites i have trouble viewing the sidebar! What kind of device do i need to view that?Tyler

JDM_1990_S13

hey i can whip up some graphics for you, and even flash if you want, i'll do it free too.. and i'm pretty good too :)

and i have tonnes of images etc..

Atom12
Car: Baggo, cars, and more recently home improvement...I need a job.

I like it. Try to get as much tech. info as you can. I hope that tuning section is huge:D, because I think the people interested in the CA rather than the SR, are also interested in big HP. I 'll be a regular reader as soon as it's up and running.

CA18 RS13

wow thanks for all the positive feedback guys. remember i am making this for all you all and other people interested so i want it to be as widely accepted as possible. JDM_1990_S13 email me at [email protected] , id love to take you up on your offer or hear some suggestions if you have any.

CA18 RS13

Quote »Much like using frames, it's a rookie mistake[/quote]

thank you for the insight

Avram
Car: Driving my slow 240

Why don't you just replace the Java applet with a mouseover script with javascript? It would end up the same but everyone could use it.

AkaiRPS13
Car: Kyoumi wa kuruma ya bujitsu ya nihongo desu.

Lost_To_A_K-Car thats kinda harsh dude. not to mention rude. I dont see you offering any help. which is what any truly experienced person does when he sees "rookie mistake"s. not to mention that I disagree. Using only java for the buttons is most likely an oversight and frames while not the best way of going about things as you can see are well implimented on http://www.ca18det.net .

also Avram's way I've found works very well and even people who know very little about Javascript know or can learn easily to do mouseover image swaps.

Avram
Car: Driving my slow 240

I don't do much web development anymore, but ever since I realized the evilness of frames, I have avoided using them at all costs. I have seen a few pages where it is neccessary, but it is usually not--even if there is a common menu on every page, it will only be downloaded once anyway (unless you somehow have your browser set to no caching). Tables will suffices for organization.

Also, Java is evil--but javascript is not so bad ;)

I will actually be making a webpage for myself pretty soon, which will be located at http://orangerice.no-ip.com

Mainly, my friends and I find the ricer scene in orlando sickening and want to benefit by making fun of it. At the rate I've been working on it, however, it will never be done (haven't started).

AkaiRPS13

harsh and rude are two different things. look em up.

I didnt assume that anyone is a moron, not even you. your assistance to him did not go unnoticed and was sufficient (although in a rather insulting manner) so I did not need to explain anything. Im sorry I said that you didnt help him.

rookies arent the only ones who make oversights.

I never said that this use of frames was special. and you know other people are entitled to their opinion. some people like frames. most dont. I dont. but you know constructive criticizim goes alot farther than insults and rudeness.

visitors dont need to know anything to use mouseover scripts. designers, however, do and anyone still using java for mouseovers probobly hasnt learned to use Javascript. webmonkey has a very good tutorial.

AkaiRPS13

Quote »Only pedantically. In the context in which you used them, they're redundant.[/quote] fine I was redundant. BFDQuote »You said they were 'well implemented'.[/quote] yes I did. "Well" as in clean and working properly. If you had said that most people dont like frames I could not have argued. I you had said that there are good reasons why they dont like them i could not have argued. to call the use of frames a rookie mistake is your opinion and I dont care to argue over it anymore. the reason i spoke up was because I felt you had been rude. If no one else thinks so then whatever. Im still going to state my opinion.

Quote »And if you knew anything about either, you'd know that the biggest similarity between the two is the fact that they both have 'Java' in their names. After that, the technologies rapidly diverge.

I agree, though. A mouseover is a lightweight job, and a lightweight tool like JS is perfectly suited for it.

[/quote] take this statement here. If you remove the insinuations of my assumed lack of inteligence and pointless belittling and insults it becomes this:Quote »I agree, though. A mouseover is a lightweight job, and a lightweight tool like JS is perfectly suited for it.[/quote]

good. we agree.

Quote »That would have been handy, six years ago.[/quote]

This can be replaced with where a better free online tutorial for javascript mouseovers can be found.

CA18 RS13

a few people besides k car had presented issues with frames, so i will be making the site with the ability to navigate with or without frames as you see fit. i personally like frames regardless of what others say so a frame version will remain there, however the option to go to a non-frame version will also be available. im looking into some other layouts and fixed the buttons by dropping the apps and just using javascript (update will be up shortly). i will be the first to admit that web design isnt my strong point but i do have a strong background in programming several languages so that is why i am going about the site the way i am. the only way i can learn is by feedback (blunt or not) and expect critisism when i ask for it. i could have just as easily designed the page with on my own with no feedback from people but again i am making this for the CA community so i feel that if i can please as many people as possible while maintaining my own vision of what i want the page to be then i will consider it a success.

AkaiRPS13

This thread has veered completely off-topic, and you and I should probably just let it go. You can reply to this message if you'd like, but I really have nothing else to say. You're right. I totally agree.

CA18 one thing visitors seem to be annoyed with in frames is using multiple scrollbars. maybe you could find a way to make the navigation frame not need a scrollbar. It seems like you have a lot of sections that are unnecessarily devided like "installs" and "engine swap", "my car" and "readers cars", "picture gallery" and "movies". If you could get it down to 6 options and then use percentages for spacing there would be no scrolling on 1024 and 800 resolutions.

CA18 RS13

Quote »It seems like you have a lot of sections that are unnecessarily devided like "installs" and "engine swap", "my car" and "readers cars", "picture gallery" and "movies". If you could get it down to 6 options and then use percentages for spacing there would be no scrolling on 1024 and 800 resolutions[/quote]good idea

Goodbar6

Heh heh....i still cant see the frames :-). Is there anything i can download to view them properly? All i see is Red X's.Thanks!Tyler

CA18 RS13

sorry, ive been busy, the update w/o the java apps and no frame option should be up soon

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”