Waxing Issue

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
Caveit77777
Car: 1996 240sx SE

I don't know if they're is a detailing section so sorry if this post is in the wrong spot. Now my car has been sitting outside a shop for about 2 months while we were searching for a few parts since the motor was out and i just got it back today. So I gave it a nice wash and used some banana wax (courtesy of Infiniti) and did the hood. Well I decided to do the roof since it felt rough. I started to do so and my microfiber pads and towels turned straight burgundy (car color). Is this bad and should I stop waxing the roof? Does that mean the clear on my roof is done?

badbob2121
Car: 92 S13 Hatch ELLIS JUAN, 12 Mustang GT RTR

pictures?

FolkertSX
Car: 1991 240SX

i would assume your clear coat is gone. And its kinda weird that just wax took the paint off. I know when i use rubbing compound on paint without a clear coat the pad will turn the color of the paint. So im guessing your having the same thing happen.

Caveit77777

Ill get some pics for sure tomorrow but it still shines really well. The clear coat isn't gone I can tell that now. Maybe it just took off a lot of oxidized paint or something? Either way it looks good now. My car sat outside for about 2 months and I noticed my headlights turned yellow again :/

Other than that I'm just really excited I got it back and im breaking in the engine.

OwnerCS

I've had some good results with Meguiars ColorX for polishing up deep reds, maroons, and blacks followed up with a good coat of finishing wax. Also the PlastX product for plastic headlight covers. You gan get it at most auto supply stores and discounters. It is usually premium priced in those stores compared to some other products -- but it doesn't usually break your wallet.

Maintaining my Infiniti pearl is a walk in the park compared to my other black vehicle.

Caveit77777

OwnerCS wrote:I've had some good results with Meguiars ColorX for polishing up deep reds, maroons, and blacks followed up with a good coat of finishing wax. Also the PlastX product for plastic headlight covers. You gan get it at most auto supply stores and discounters. It is usually premium priced in those stores compared to some other products -- but it doesn't usually break your wallet.

Maintaining my Infiniti pearl is a walk in the park compared to my other black vehicle.
I actually bought some color x thinking it was wax about 2 days ago. I wasn't going to use it on the 240 but maybe now I will. I used it on a white vette and umm didn't see much improvement cause it was WHITE haha.

never gone
Car: Infiniti G35

If your car has been sitting outside a body shop for a while you will FOR SURE need to clay your car before you wax it. There are a LOT of particulates that float around body shops because of all the work being done. Wax won't generally get rid of rough paint, it will just give you slicker rough paint. You need to clay the car to get all the crap off that washing alone won't remove. You will not believe how smooth your car will feel them. Wax cannot remove clear coat btw so that's not the issue. You can wash your car 10 times and think it's super clean and soon as you clay one section you'll quickly see how much more crap comes off. Hope that helps.

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

Caveit77777 wrote:I don't know if they're is a detailing section so sorry if this post is in the wrong spot. Now my car has been sitting outside a shop for about 2 months while we were searching for a few parts since the motor was out and i just got it back today. So I gave it a nice wash and used some banana wax (courtesy of Infiniti) and did the hood. Well I decided to do the roof since it felt rough. I started to do so and my microfiber pads and towels turned straight burgundy (car color). Is this bad and should I stop waxing the roof? Does that mean the clear on my roof is done?
Thats a brain twister.
I think you would be able to see a difference in the paint if your clear coat was gone.
My first thought was a color wax was on the car.
Second is it could be a repaint with an enamel based paint.
Third is that somehow you got a abrasive substance in your MF towels
Or
Over spray from work being done in the shop.
I would first wash it down with dishwashing liquid and hot water to strip any wax off the roof of the car and I would re condition, wax, glaze or what ever your choice of protection is.
I know some people swear by clay, but clay is abrasive and claying the paint can cause a whole new additional set of problems and create even more work.

never gone
Car: Infiniti G35

Thorshammer wrote:
Caveit77777 wrote:I don't know if they're is a detailing section so sorry if this post is in the wrong spot. Now my car has been sitting outside a shop for about 2 months while we were searching for a few parts since the motor was out and i just got it back today. So I gave it a nice wash and used some banana wax (courtesy of Infiniti) and did the hood. Well I decided to do the roof since it felt rough. I started to do so and my microfiber pads and towels turned straight burgundy (car color). Is this bad and should I stop waxing the roof? Does that mean the clear on my roof is done?
Thats a brain twister.
I think you would be able to see a difference in the paint if your clear coat was gone.
My first thought was a color wax was on the car.
Second is it could be a repaint with an enamel based paint.
Third is that somehow you got a abrasive substance in your MF towels
Or
Over spray from work being done in the shop.
I would first wash it down with dishwashing liquid and hot water to strip any wax off the roof of the car and I would re condition, wax, glaze or what ever your choice of protection is.
I know some people swear by clay, but clay is abrasive and claying the paint can cause a whole new additional set of problems and create even more work.

This is totally not true if you do it correctly.

Shizane2002
Car: 1998 Avenger

Yeah man if your color is rubbing off on your towels, thats paint. Im pretty good at detailing....but sadly I dont know techniques on restoration below the clear coat aside from just getting it repainted. If you do decide to get it repainted, hit me up or check out this thread :ohno:

how-to-detail-your-ride-t500049.html

Thorshammer
Car: FX35

Better check and make sure that banana wax is actually wax and not polish. If it is polish you have your answer.
True polish is abrasive and will transfer color pigments in the process.

Return to “Detailing Forum”