Waxing before a long drive

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Took a whole weekend prior to move in to campus, and clay-barred and waxed the entire exterior of my MDX and I even tapped off all the parts I didn't want wax getting on. Fast forward to this past Saturday, which I started the drive down to MIA for move-in. I took the longest route from Orlando to Miami (45 miles north on Turnpike, some odd ~320 miles on I-75, and some 20-30 miles on back roads). I had a 30 min slow down on 75 South, cuz, some newer Nissan Sentra/Altima/Versa (forgot which one it was) decided to severely rear-end a Model Y.

However, while on the 8 hour/390 mile journey, my MDX accumulated a ton of bird crappings and a full front end coverage of dead love bugs. Unlike the 16 Rogue, which took ages to clear these dead bugs and bird crappings, going through one heavy downpour of SoFlo, wiped it clear off.

I also made the mistake of going through the $3 car wash like I always did with the Rogue and this time the scratches were on the severe side. Did I forgot to mention, while clay barring, polishing and waxing on the weekend prior, some of the paint came off on the hood? Well, Honda decided to switch to a water-based paint for all of their paints, especially for my limited run exterior color (this paint was for 2017 and 2018 MY) instead of staying with the oil-based paint like they had way back when.

One thing for sure, I never had this issue on the Rogue at all, and still don't have this issue on my parent's 2019 deathbox. I also did notice, having a traditional automatic transmission doesn't achieve the same type of range and fuel economy as a CVT. And having a V6 doesn't also help in that situation either too.

Now, again, most of you be wondering, why tf is this guy talking about a Honda in the general chat section of a Nissan forum. Well, answer is, easy.... I kinda liked having the 16 Rogue for these types of commutes and just also saying waxing before going on a long drive helps a lot.

And I did took some pics of the weekend.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_spgpP ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k78pTN ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q70gAH ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bHgiNe ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z_zdzw ... sp=sharing

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Thanks for the pics and the update!:)

datechboss101

I am searching and looking around for some polishing products, not sure what to get that I can apply by hand. Any suggestions? I also need to buy more wax since I did ran out of the wax.

So far, I have only tried Turtle Wax for the wax application.

Jesda

I've been a Nufinish fan for decades. Dad used it back in the day and I use it now.

There are products that produce a more lustrous shine or last longer for a lot more money, but Nufinish is a perfect compromise of price and longevity. Plus it's easy to reapply every 1-4 months. I use it instead of wax right after doing a clay bar treatment.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Like Jesda, I've been using Nufinish for decades too. I own all old vehicles that I drive in all weather. They're not show cars by any stretch, though I like them to look good. Since I'm unwilling/unable to devote the time/effort/expense to try to make them look perfect enough to win a $3 cruise night trophy. Nufinish fits my requirements. It works well, easy to use, inexpensive, and reliably protects for about 3 months, (longer for the ones kept in the garage).

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

Man you guys are like 15-20 years behind :rotfl

The detailing rabbit hole is one you don't want to go down, but I recommend to most of my friends to check out the new line of Turtle Wax products. Especially their new Hybrid Solutions line which you can find at Walmart and most local auto parts stores. The Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating and the Pro Flex Wax with Graphene are unbelievably easy to apply and super durable. Plus they last anywhere from 6 months to 1 year(and that's a true longevity, not this BS things like the older products used to promise) as long as they're applied as recommended. I did a customers vehicle yesterday with the Ceramic Spray Coating in 10 min flat. It's literally spray on, spread out with a towel and wipe off with another clean towel.

There are endless amounts of other great products and I have a line I use personally and professionally, but I don't like recommending things the average person can't easily purchase locally. Throw that NuFinish in the trash though regardless :poke: :biggrin:

Jesda

Kompresshun wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:03 am
The detailing rabbit hole is one you don't want to go down
I'll check out the ceramic spray as it promises to save time and physical exertion for not much more money. However, I'm probably going to return to paying someone to clean my cars. Along with maintenance and mechanical work I've discovered it's not something I enjoy anymore.

The best feeling is when my car rolls out of the automatic wash bay and the kid working there dries it off, cleans out the interior, polishes the wheels, slaps on some wax, and I hop in and enjoy the rest of my low effort Sunday.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Jesda wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 2:45 am

The best feeling is when my car rolls out of the automatic wash bay and the kid working there dries it off, cleans out the interior, polishes the wheels, slaps on some wax, and I hop in and enjoy the rest of my low effort Sunday.

Well said.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

Definitely agree as well. Even though I've ran a detailing business, I despise cleaning my own cars most of the time. I try to give them one or two thorough cleanings a year, then put great products on to help protect them and make them easy to maintain. They still get run through the car wash occasionally though.

Jesda

Kompresshun wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:48 am
Definitely agree as well. Even though I've ran a detailing business, I despise cleaning my own cars most of the time. I try to give them one or two thorough cleanings a year, then put great products on to help protect them and make them easy to maintain. They still get run through the car wash occasionally though.
It amazes me how high tech it's become and how near-microscopically focused the detailing profession is. When I was a kid we were satisfied if there was no visible rust. :chuckle:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Jesda wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:14 pm
It amazes me how high tech it's become and how near-microscopically focused the detailing profession is. When I was a kid we were satisfied if there was no visible rust. chuckle:
Second that! Spending my early life in NJ, I think I was at least 30 before I owned a car that didn't have rust in the quarters, rockers or both. Even my prize GTO had rust bubbles in one quarter that I was terrified to Bondo because of what might be underneath. ;)

Kompresshun
Administrator

Yep, it's insane how in depth you can go. I am skeptical of the higher end stuff myself, but that's mainly because I don't like marketing BS trying to squeeze more money out of customers when you can accomplish the same for less.

Yet on the other hand it amazes me with how high tech and focused it has become, that you still get the same cheap asses that don't understand why a good detailer wants $500-1,000 to clean their nasty family hauler that hasn't been cleaned in 2-3 years. "Well I can get it cleaned across town for $50...." THEN TAKE IT THERE. Do you need directions? I don't wash cars, they do. I can assure you the result will not be even close to the same.

That last part really confuses people - Wait if you don't wash cars, then how do you clean them...??? :facepalm:

datechboss101

I got friends that either runs a detailing business or works in the industry. When we lived up north, our cars were never professionally detailed. Even the under-side of the vehicle never got cleaned, yet somehow they were rust-free. I think Honda had some great rust-proof chemicals back in the day, since the Accord literally lived on the driveway, and the Odyssey was literally driven everywhere (includes Canada) but also was garaged parked. However, I was shocked the stealership in Orlando that I take my MDX in for warranty work, literally runs it through those scratch yo paint washes, even with fresh paint.

I have the beginner's detailing machine that has a 7in (maybe 9inch?) pad, but I still prefer doing everything by hand. Not sure what's ya'll input on the Chemical Guys products in-terms of Wax and Polish and ceramic coat. Also, not 100% sure if I can use the compounds that are instructed to be used only on a machine, instead, can be used on a pad that I can do by hand?

@Kompresshun -- Have you tried the Avalon King ceramic coat product or have any opinion that Ed Bolian and few automotive Youtubers have been pushing? Its more on the expensive end for my budget, since I barely spend over $10 on any Turtle Wax and Chemical Guys products.

Kompresshun
Administrator

Chemical Guys stuff is over marketed garbage. They literally have product upon product that does the same thing, just labeled different and most of it doesn’t work or hold up nearly as well as advertised. Their products are pretty despised in the detailing industry, but their marketing team is top notch so for the DIY person just learning it looks like a common sense decision.

Honestly if you want a product line that has everything and is user friendly, I’d recommend Adam’s Polishes. At least they make great products and are great for someone who just wants to take care of their personal vehicles.

I like Ed Bolian, but Avalon King is a product line he’s sponsored by and I literally know no one professional or DIY that likes Avalon King coatings. Another over marketed product and honestly for a DIY user, there is no reason you should be bothering with a coating like that yourself. True ceramic coatings require hours or prep work, including paint decontamination and careful machine polishing for them to adhere properly. If you feel like a ceramic coating is right for you and you want something that lasts 3+ years, let a professional install it and find an installer that uses IGL, Ceramic Pro, Car Pro, Gtechniq or a similar reputable brand. I’ve seen too many botched ceramic coatings and it’s not cheap to fix when it’s applied wrong.

As I said previously though, the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line is amazing. 6 months to 1 year of protection that literally anyone can apply. Wash the vehicle, preferably clay bar it at minimum, and apply the product. It could be done in an hour or two start to finish for the average person. Literally that easy and honestly I prefer it to true ceramics for most daily driven vehicles.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Kompresshun wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:30 am
Chemical Guys stuff is over marketed garbage. They literally have product upon product that does the same thing, just labeled different and most of it doesn’t work or hold up nearly as well as advertised. Their products are pretty despised in the detailing industry, but their marketing team is top notch so for the DIY person just learning it looks like a common sense decision.
Wow, K&N for your paint job. Who'da thunk that? :rotfl :rotfl

Kompresshun
Administrator

No kidding! :gapteeth:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I'll use NuFinish or TR5 for an engine bay or in crevices (underside of hood, trunk seal, door jambs) but never on the exterior.

It works well because it's FULL of solvents and pretty harsh.

Jesda

AZhitman wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:36 pm
or TR5
That stuff is perfect for paint that's on the verge of losing its luster. Great to slather on to a finish that's been neglected but isn't completely gone.

Jesda

datechboss101 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:02 am
literally runs it through those scratch yo paint washes, even with fresh paint.
Unless it's an older car with thin clear coat on the verge of peeling it would likely take a decade of car washes to really notice.

datechboss101

Jesda wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:44 am
datechboss101 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:02 am
literally runs it through those scratch yo paint washes, even with fresh paint.
Unless it's an older car with thin clear coat on the verge of peeling it would likely take a decade of car washes to really notice.
Its pretty new lol. The liftgate is newer than the entire vehicle, but I got a rear bumper that's going to be the newest body panel of the vehicle with fresh paint.
Kompresshun wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:30 am
I like Ed Bolian, but Avalon King is a product line he’s sponsored by and I literally know no one professional or DIY that likes Avalon King coatings. Another over marketed product and honestly for a DIY user, there is no reason you should be bothering with a coating like that yourself. True ceramic coatings require hours or prep work, including paint decontamination and careful machine polishing for them to adhere properly. If you feel like a ceramic coating is right for you and you want something that lasts 3+ years, let a professional install it and find an installer that uses IGL, Ceramic Pro, Car Pro, Gtechniq or a similar reputable brand. I’ve seen too many botched ceramic coatings and it’s not cheap to fix when it’s applied wrong.

As I said previously though, the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line is amazing. 6 months to 1 year of protection that literally anyone can apply. Wash the vehicle, preferably clay bar it at minimum, and apply the product. It could be done in an hour or two start to finish for the average person. Literally that easy and honestly I prefer it to true ceramics for most daily driven vehicles.
I'm going to ask this body shop on Friday (they also do modifications and detailing) to see if they can PPF the front bumper and hood and also do a full ceramic coat. My original plan was to have a guy local to my dad's office to do a full exterior detail before my final semester started, but since I'm in the process of replacing (might as well call it an upgrade) the rear bumper, I'm getting this done early on.

Return to “General Chat”