Water soaking passenger side floorboard. How do I find air conditioner drain hose and unclog it

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Sleepdoc90
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35

Water is soaking passenger side floorboards. Probably happening for awhile but recently got much worse. I pulled up carpet and felt underneath and found probably close to a gallon of water. Is this a windsheild problem or air conditioner. Water is clear and non oily.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'd take a look at the factory service manual to see where the drain is.
www.nicoclub.com/fsm

Does the water happen after you've been running AC, or after it rains out?

Sleepdoc90

I searched all service manuals and nothing showed when drain tube exits car or where it runs inside cabin. I'm not sure whether it is after rain or after running ac. I have noticed moldy smell before but this time it seemed to get really bad after a rain so I'm thinking it is a seal under cowl but can't be sure and wanted to clean out drain first. I pulled up carpet and found standing water and everything wet under there up to behind dash but mostly at the bottom of foot wells in front and back passenger side.

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

On an older car the sunroof drains can get clogged, that may be your issue. Be careful not to use an air hose to blow them out because the drain tubes can come loose. Many dealers, and other places, can clean the drains for around $100 to $125. You might want to go this route if you haven't done it before.

Sleepdoc90

Cleaned sunroof drain tubes and hasn’t happened again but haven’t have heavy rain either

Silvia2b
Car: 95 240sx se / 07 G35s cpe / 2009 G37s sedan (rear-ended R.I.P.) / 19 Q50 rs400AWD

Did you take it to an Infiniti dealer or DIY?

Carris
Car: Infiniti Q40 2015

Speaking of expensive.... I have a 2015 Q40. There have been quite a few rain storms in the area. I noticed my passenger side front and back floor boards were flooded. I took it into Infiniti dealership for service yesterday. I was quoted a $2417 estimate to repair sunroof drains. I'm a bit gobsmacked as I have noticed this has been an ongoing issue for many years with Infiniti sedans.
These are the estimated cost of repairs.
As listed:
1. REPLACE LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT DRAIN HOSES AND DRAIN CONNECTORS
2. REMOVE CARPET FROM VEHICLE AND ALLOW TO DRY
Does this seem to be price gouging? If so what should I expect to spend?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

That seems excessive. I've used old bike cables (shifter or brake... could also use a throttle cable) to snake down the sunroof drain holes to blow out any crap. Dry the carpet yourself (hit it with a wet/dry vac, park it with the heat on and the windows down, or put a fan on it, etc).

squeefoo
Car: 1990 Q45, 1994 Maxima SE, 1999 I30, 2003 Maxima Titanium, 2006 Xterra Off Road, 2012 G37XS!

There is a large grommet for the ECM/TCM loom behind the battery on the cowl that descends to the ECU/TCU that you must access by removing the battery and plastic cowling, arms, etc. That is what leaks when it rains. I pulled it up enough to clean it out good and seal it in with some 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40069430/

I parked my 2012 G37 outside overnight not long after I bought it and it rained, didn't think much of it at the time but when I sat down and pushed the button, nothing. -and the floor was soaked.
There was a code P0100 or something and my heart sank.

Ripped out the passenger kick panels and water was literally dripping out of the ECM. :mad:
Capillary action from the wires in the loom sucked it right in. After getting it all vacuumed and dried out it started and ran fine.
That's when I realized why it bounced from auction to dealer, back to auction so many times, and I got it cheap. :chuckle:

I removed the roof drains first and getting that last part out at the firewall through the A/C vent was a PITA.
Luckily there was a dead beetle exoskeleton followed by a half inch of dust to make me feel better about doing it. Having a pair of 24" needle nose pliers helps.

Location of grommet at upper end of part 24079:

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”