Wat Kind Of Fuel Pump ???

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
DRIFTERWANABE
Car: cars,,gurls,,

I want to use nitrous and more boost and I was told this is a must upgrade?? I need a fuel pump !!any suggestions??

Daunttless

Something high flowing? : )

Walbro is generally the most commonly used fuel pump.

I H8 UR DSM

walbro 255 is what most of us use on our Sr's...pretty affordable, and a straight swap

DRIFTERWANABE

How much does the walbro fuel pump cost?? I was looking at the HKS fuel pump!! Is it any good??

Daunttless

A walbro will run you about 130 dollars, I don't know what the HKS is going to cost you.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

HKS = Walbro with a higher price tag

Go with the Walbro or a 300Z TT fuel pump

trpower7

Just warning you drifter, you may want to find someone that can help you in person from the sound of all your previous posts. You apparently don't know anything about engine management and the pros and cons of nitrous, more boost, etc. If I were you I would stop right now and spend at least a week reading through everything you can find on the internet about the SR, fuel management, fuel delivery, what is detonation, who makes what, who uses what, what works where and when and so on. From what I hear it sounds like you are going to blow that nice redtop SR engine all to hell within a few months of getting it put in (assuming you can even pull that off). Not meanign to flame you here, just making sure you don't make a huge mistake.

DRIFTERWANABE

Ive been reading about detonation and I have some more price questions. How much would a ECU tuned by JWT. And will a maxima clutch hold 400hp??

Daunttless

A maxima clutch will not fit. And I very much doubt it would hold 400 horsepower.

JWT tunes the ECU for the SR20, but as I hear they aren't exceptional. Also, I can't imagine it costing less than 500 dollars.

Nismo_Freak

Actually the older Maxima clutches do fit ... you would have to get a stiff street clutch to hold 400 hp.

trpower7

If you have read a damn thing about clutches you should know that companies like ACT, Centerforce, Exedy/Daikin, ClutchMasters, RAMGrip, Star, SPEC, and all the others make specifically staged clutch kits for specific amounts of power. LEARN YOUR STUFF AND BUY THE RIGHT PARTS FOR THE RIGHT JOB!!!!!!!!!

trpower7

Oh, and for a fuel pump, in minimal reading you should have seen the name WALBRO about a thousand times. It is a direct fit and is relatively cheap. It will give you the flow you need (also, go read about a Vortech FMU, you will be needing that too) and injectors, etc. Please go learn

I H8 UR DSM

Daunttless wrote:A maxima clutch will not fit. And I very much doubt it would hold 400 horsepower.

JWT tunes the ECU for the SR20, but as I hear they aren't exceptional. Also, I can't imagine it costing less than 500 dollars.
Yea the 89 maxima clutch is compatible with the SR tranny....a lot of companies do make an application for the SR20det now though, and you can get that....its the same measurements as the maxima clutch. a stock maxima clutch wont hold 400hp, but a stage3, or 6 puck would usually be rated for that much HP, but you would have to find that out...My Iron clutch would hold that much power...and a Clutchmasters stage 4, maybe 3 would...but again, you have to check that...JWT tuned ECU i believe cost 500-600 for the initial tune, and 100 for each upgrade, everytime you send it back to get retuned....its good for someone who doesnt want to have the ability, or need to tune the car on the fly..just plug and let go.....but they do give you upgrades over a stock ecu.....they say not to use them with the S-AFC though..im running stock ecu, with SAFC, but we do have a S13 SR running the JWT, and he loves it....

Daunttless

I'm dumb, when I answered that question I was thinking Toyota Maxima. It dawned on me this morning. : ) Although, I didn't know they fit anyways, it just doesn't surprise me as much now. : )

Nismo_Freak

Vortech FMU = sucks a**...

I have had and heard nothing but bad things with these... get the ECU and save yourself the trouble.

trpower7

I've seen a good number of people run an FMU in the relatively low boost situations (under 15 PSI) and had it work fantastically. Some of us don't have $500-$600 to spend on an ECU when we are in a situation where something like an FMU will work fine. If it sucked so much a** it wouldn't be as popular as it is. I've done several turbo Miatas with FMU's and had them work like a charm.

Atom12
Car: Baggo, cars, and more recently home improvement...I need a job.

Just curious. If the Jim Wolf ECU is not the way to go, what ECU would someone want to use for high boost/high HP applications? Daunttless?

I H8 UR DSM

JWT ecu is a good choice when doing the swap, because its tuned for you, and you recieve it, plug it in, and go.

for high hp applications the 'simplest' option is a Apexi power FC...which you can get with a base program so is also plug and play...but you have to have a authorized tuner to tune it, although you can make adjustments with the Apexi power FC commander.

The best tuning devices for high hp applications would be a full standalone, ie. haltech, electromotice tecII or III, Motec, which come pretty much set at zero, and you have to tune the ecu w/ a wideband O2sensor on a dyno. So you need to have someone experienced to tune the car, yet alone to wire up a standalone ecu.

Daunttless

Most of the standalones come with a base map, so you can drive the car to the tuner. : ) I wouldn't suggest just leaving it with them with their base tunes, as they'll be totally inefficient, but it will get you where you need to go. : )

Also, I didn't say the JWT ECU was bad persay, it just isn't exceptional. It is tuned well, but its not maximized for power. Its hard to tune something thru the mail, at least to the very edge. They can have a lot maps of for every application, but they won't be as efficient as doing it yourself, as they don't have your specific application. They are very good, but they aren't maximized, due to their experience they're as maximized as you can get thru the mail, but they won't be pushing the edge. However, a lot of people don't mind that. : )

Atom12

So I take it there's nothing for the Nissan community like the Hondata? I'm sure you guys know all about it. It lets you do all kinds of things while on the Dyno. You can smooth out fuel maps, adjust ignition, and use set RPM levels for full throttle shifts/launches. All of this is done realtime from a laptop using a windows program. Plus there is a file sharing program on the internet used to download other people's good tunes. I hope there is something like that for the 240, because I don't want to pay some guy $$$/hr+Dyno time just to get my car running efficiently.

Daunttless

A hondata is a power fc with lap top tuning.

A haltech is exactly the same but better. : ) Laptop tuning, and the ability to load maps. All the hondata did was take a haltech/motec/whatever, and mass produce them for hondas.

I H8 UR DSM

Atom...sounds to me like your a prime canidate for a JWT tuned ecu.

thats what i would recommend.

Atom12

Daunttless wrote:A hondata is a power fc with lap top tuning.

A haltech is exactly the same but better. : ) Laptop tuning, and the ability to load maps. All the hondata did was take a haltech/motec/whatever, and mass produce them for hondas.
So just to clairify: haltech is just like Hondata, and better than the Apexi system because of laptop tuning? Whats important to me is just buying Dyno time, and doing the tuning myself. I would like to be able to have a few chips burned so I wouldn't have to run 20 psi all the time. Also does the haltech plug into the exsisting harness? Hondata does, and I think that is one of the big selling points. With a standalone (Accel) you have to rewire everything. :thumbd

Daunttless

no, a hondata is a knockoff on the stand alone haltech, its equivalent to an Apexi Power FC. A power FC plugs right in, only you have to use a FC Commander instead of a laptop to tune it. The haltech is a full standalone, you have to rewire everything. You don't burn a chip with the haltech, you can just load new maps. : )

Atom12

I've seen pics of the FC Commander. It does not look like it would be easy to adjust maps and such in between $$$ tunes by the shop. I think it would like trying to play a video game on a Casio watch; functional, but not fun. Have you ever done a complete rewire? The haltech doesn't require a certified tuner does it? My dad is a mechanic so I've grown up doing mechanical things myself. I don't have any experience with fuel maps but I'd rather learn and do it myself. Power FC=good but have to let someone else do the tuning. Haltech=full control? but a complete rewire. JWT=no control. So what do you use Daunttless? I'm sure you, like me, doesn't want to be confined to one burn, or rely on a shop to get your car running right.

Daunttless

I'm putting on a haltech, easy to tune. : )

usuck

This is kinda off topic, but when you guys upgrade the fuel pumps do you upgrade your fuel filters or do you just change them more often? If you do upgrade would you recomend adding another filter or a bigger filter?

Daunttless

Most just put in a larger filter.

I H8 UR DSM

daunttless doenst have a car, lol

I am running a stock Sr20det ecu, with an Apexi S-AFC to tune it...we also have a redtop running the JWT ecu. He is running the fastest times in the country on the stock motor and turbo. I went witht the AFC cause i want to be able to tune it myself, and i didnt want to dish out 600 for the JWT when i will be going standalone shortly....The JWT does remove the speed limiter, and move the revlimiter which is a nice benifit. it does run on tthe safe side though, and i have the AFC so i can lean it out a bit.

why dont u start over...list what your goals are, and your mods that your doing, and we can say whats abest for you...again.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Just to clarify regarding the Walbro pumps. There are actually two pumps that would work. The nomenclatures are the Walbro 307 and the 340. The 255 is lph, a flow rating, which I think is the 340. Either one would flow enough fuel and the 307 is a little cheaper. FYI.

http://www.cottonsperformance.com carries the Walbro pumps as well as double-pumper systems if you REALLY need some fuel!

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”