wastegate question

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
chris1212
Car: 1996 240sx

I have a turbonetics evolution wastgate. It has a sleeve that sticks out of the flange that bolts up to the turbo manifold. Well it will bolt up to the mani. But the sleeve doesn't push inside the manifold flange. Do i bore the hole out to fit? Or find another mani? I wish i knew the specs on this free wastgate.

chris1212

i called the company..fast and easy response..thanks guys. if theres one thing im learning. thats how to search and build this car all on my lonesome.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

What was the answer?

chris1212

He said when i tighten the bolt. The sleeve on the wastegate will press into the hole on the manifold flange. He said if i bore out the hole. The wastegate will fail. I've been on google looking up info on wastegates, blow off valves, and boost controlers. Im good at turning wrenches. But i got to find out where all the lines on these parts go. It sucks not having guys around my town thats into forced induction. We have 8ththe mile tracks local tracks. Got rockingham and fayeteville 1/4 mile. And fayetteville is only full of evo's and wrx's. The nissan guy closed down and us now working on helicopters on base. Im gonna just order an install video

WDRacing

I believe that's called the "fire ring".

What info do you need exactly? BTW, I'm a retired helo guy myself.

chris1212

i really wanna get an enthalpy tune. don't know whats needed to fine tune on a dyno. eventually i'll want to know my hp and want more if im not satisfied. i just met a guy that got a jim wolf and he likes it. but i've always herd it's a conserv tuned and limits your hp. but i just need basic stuff for now. best locatin for bov. where does the line need to be hooked up and wastegate lines. and most important. to get a cleaner look. i'd like to run a blow thu set up. but don't know if enthalpy can tune for it. id like to get all ducks in a row before sending off my spare ecu. it's from a 91 5speed ecu. and i found out my evolution wastegate is a 35mm

WDRacing

For an external wastegate you can source the vacuum signal from anywhere on the intake manifold, the most common is the fuel pressure regulator line. Use a "T" fitting and run that line to the side port of your wastegate. The top port isn't used at this time. If you're using a boost controller it will have to go inline between the intake manifold and the wastegate. There should be directions that come with the boost controller, if not let me the type and I'll show you how to hook it up.

Enthalpy tunes seem to be the best at this point in time. A JWT, Jim Wolf Tech, is also a very good choice. I believe JWT uses a more conservative timing map to assist in detonation avoidance.

As far as fine tuning on a dyno goes, the rom tune itself isn't touched. People usually install a piggy back fuel controller like the SAFCII. This is just a box that tweaks the signal that comes from the MAF allowing you to tune your AFRs + or - 50%. I wouldn't expect a ton of gains there, but it may help with fuel mileage etc. Enthalpy and JWT have been doing this for a LONG time now and have there tunes down pretty well.

Don't be afraid to ask questions Chris, the stupidest one is the one you don't ask.

WD

neverlift

good advice wd.

Depending if the tuner you use has encryption on their bins, any shop with a burner and dyno with wideband should be able to tweak it, probably around the cost of an afc and wideband.

JWT and enthalpy are the only real options at this point for 'decent' tunes.

WDRacing

I'd also say they are reliable as far as the product and service you receive.

chris1212

Well since i have a 91girlfriend ecu to send in. Im gonna be switching out ecu's and intake when it's inspection time. But i've been hearing rumors that enthalpy can now tune obd2

neverlift

from my understanding yes some forms of obd2 are tunable..

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

For my 95 S14 (not OBDII, but different from OBDI as far as some sensors and such) Enthalpy used a jumper harness and an S13 OBDI ECU. Granted it was over a year ago when I bought it, but at the time they told me they were getting better results by doing it that way than trying to tune the 95 and presumably 96-98 OBDII ECU's.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”