Was I lucky or was it ill luck?

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
firstq

The guides were replaced on my Q92 this past week (AZ Imports). I just got the car yesterday and it seems to be going strong.

Scott told me that the pieces of the guides were broken (some pieces were in the pan) - so I guess I got lucky to still have a running engine - I ask myself though - had it failed would it have been an end to a never ending loss?

See pictures:

http://members.cox.net/azheer/P9100014. ... 110026.JPG

Worked done on the car:

1. Timing guides2. Pump Chains3. Reseal Valve covers4. New Platinum plugs5 . Radiator Treatment6. New drive belts7. New Radiator Fan8. Some new hoses9. New power sterring pressure hose10. B&M Tranny Cooler11. 4 Wheel Alignment

Man after a butt load of money it still F*#$% vibrates @30MPH - only if I can desensitize my butt a little bit so that I do not always feel the vibration - I will do alright.

I know nothing in the above list was being done to get rid of the vibration - (a long sigh...)

But, I guess I have a good fricking engine now!

Stuff left to do:

1. Drive shaft (to end the never ending vibration)2. Original Tranny - can go down any time now (100K miles) - seems alright though3. Motor mounts4. Leaking Fuel rails - Scott told me it is yet another big ticket item (leak is not bad yet but with time it would get worst)

So I ask myself, was I lucky to have still a running engine or was it the ill luck?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Great pictures! Could load 19 or 24-26.

Is the body and interior of your car primo? Do you like driving it? What else could you have for the expense of the present and future repair costs? Checked on Audi's and Mercedes' repair history lately?

I think you did the right thing. Now don't get burned, literally. Heath might contribute fuel rail replacement insights as he is addressing that now.

firstq

Maxinx - thanks.

Fixed the urls, you should be able to see the 24-26 now, 19 was never there (my mistake).

The body and interior are primo and the reaons which I actually fell for (not knowing what I was getting into - previously owned camry's and honda's)- so yes they are in mint condition (Arizona).

I love the car, it drives well and has the power I miss on my Camry - but man it wants to be treated like a king- nothing but the best of everthing.

Fuel rails - the tech has been telling me it is not bad now, I can smell the gas in the morning in the winter but never afterwards - never an issue in the summer. But the inifiniti history record shows this was identified as an isuue some 2 years back. Scott tightened the hoses for me - so I should be okay for now, we will see. He was saying it is around $700-$800 deal (I did not even entertain the idea at that point on)

DougQ45
Car: Q45, porsche 928 S 5 speed

Congrats on the pragmatic work you had done on the car---a very good choice of things. I have 2 older Q' s and replaced the original guides myself spending several hours on each job. While your guides were broken, all 4 of mine were in great shape no cracks etc... Disturbing to replace something that isn't broken, but no doubt the best preventive maintanence you could spend on the car. Guess it goes to show you never know when they might go. Could you imagine what it would do to your engine at say 4,000 RPM if you lost the timing chain???? Good luck on the 30MPH vibration---have you replaced the tranny mount??? Only a $90 part, and you can do it easily from what the members on this site report.

911/Q45
Car: Autos, Fitness

Sorry about all the work, but you own a $50,000 car. We may be able to buy them for next to nothing, but they still are a $50K car when you maintain them. Drive some brand new rental cars and compare the experience with your 10 year old Q. I think you'll be able to appreciate what you got for a bargain price.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Have you had a thorough throttle body cleaning done yet?

Do that and watch the power go up even more.I did.

Fred...:)

firstq

Fred - I did clean the butterfly once on my own - there was actually no build up on the plate itself (mostly clear).

Are you referring to some special formula to use? or professional cleaning @ a shop somewhere?

Thanks

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'm not replacing rails, just the tubes that run from the back of the car to the front. From what you're describing, I seriously doubt that the rails themselves are leaking. The $800 quote is mostly plenum labor and the $9+/ft special fuel tubing. I'd wait until it's time to replace something else like knock sensors, etc - then replace all PCV hoses, cooling hoses, knock sensor harness, etc...

The rails on the left and right bank are connected with fuel tubing between the front ends and feed in to the pressure regulator and damper on the back side near the firewall. The clamps will get loose and the hose deteriorates slightly over time. When it's cold and the hose contracts, they tend to seep slightly or let some vapor escape. In most cases you can tighten the clamps and solve the problem for a while. If they're aimed in the right direction you can get a long screwdriver in there w/o pulling the plenum.

Replacing the fuel hoses (under the plenum) solved my problem for at least 4 winters...

Heath

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I swear... every time I see these pics of the guide replacement my balls swell a little and I start thinking about DIYing Q2 - but the fear of a scrambled 47K engine if I mess something up is a big motivator to gently drive her to T3.

Heath

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Rod, I know from where you are coming. You Q does look great.

My wife was driving tonight and I was a passenger. Still a great experience. Almost made her pull over when she said she thought she would prefer a Lexus. Guess I need to let her drive the Q a little more often.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”