Warranty help (Pathfinder 2001)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
kamisbro
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001 LE

My truck is Pathfinder 2001 LE (mileage:63,000) and 'Check Engine Light' had been on for a few months. When I went to Gainesville Nissan Dealer service Dept. last week, they found codes P0420 and P0430 (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank1 &2)) and reprogrammed the ECM as described in Technical Service Bulletin.

They charged me total $102.76 for reprogramming. I asked them a few times if reprogramming the ECM is supposed to be covered under 8 years or 80,000 miles. But All I could hear from them is that reprogramming the ECM is covered by 3 years or 36,000 miles.

After I came back home, feeling frustrated, I read very carefully the "2001 Nissan Warranty Information and Maintenance Log Booklet". According to the warranty booklet, I found that Engine Control Module (ECM)/Onboard Diagnostic Device(OBD) and Catalytic Converter are covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles, which occurs first.

Then why can't reprogramming the ECM be covered by the warranty?????

I'm not sure if all people at the Gainesville service dept. lied about the warranty or they are not aware of correct warranty information or their warrany policy has been changed. The impression I got from them is that they are not cooperative and they don't want me to take the benefit from the warranty. They said that I'm not the only one who paid for reprograming the ECM and if I want to complain, they told me to go call Nissan Customer Affairs.

Now I'm trying to find an effective way of getting my money back. Anybody who has a good idea?

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Where did you buy your Pathfinder? I would go back with your warranty booklet... If they were not cooperative after seeing the warranty rules IN PRINT, I would send some emails to Nissan corporatem, and drop names from the dealership that stood out as especially unhelpful... a copy of the invoice would be nice too. Good luck, sounds like a true stealership to me.

esteban
Car: 1993 Pathfinder

one comment i would make is that regardless of their 'policy has changed' it would have no effect to the warranty that you received at the time you purchased your vehicle. the only policy that you need to worry about is what is written in you warranty book. they cannot change the warranty to not cover the ecm after the fact

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”