Warped Rotors

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
RoushMustang
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Hey guys,

I've got an 08' EX35. I've put 60,000km (not miles) on it over the past 4 years. I've been through 4 sets of rotors on the thing now.

Tried the cheap crap rotors, they lasted a little while. Then spent $800 on OEM Infiniti rotors. They were garbage and lasted maybe 5,000km.

Have a premium brand on the car now. They've been on for 13 months, and have 20,000km. But are now pulsating once warmed up on the highway.

Has anyone had any luck with a particular brand that lasts?

Thanks!

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

I use ATE disk / rotors up front from CT and, like you, I have tried OEM and cheap China rotors before. None lasted as long as the first OEM that were on the car from the factory, but the ATE with akebono pads came real close. Better than the second set of OEM. It seems my rear pads/rotors get used up more quickly than the font, no matter what brand of rotors or pads I use.

As for the warping, are you sure it is not a tire balancing problem? In my case, that is what I had as problem. But I assume that you get vibration only when you apply the brakes?

RoushMustang
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Yeah, brand new tires on the car, they're balanced properly. The vibration is only under braking. I'm not exactly gentle on brakes but nothing that should be warping rotors. Never had a warped rotor on any of my previous vehicles.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I started having the pulsating brakes at around 70k miles if I recall correctly. It took me a while before I was able to change them. I went with the Akebono ProACT pads like CDNicecube, but my replacement rotor blanks were not slotted. My front rotors were Raybestos Advanced Technology, and my rears were Centric premium. All of my braking vibration came from the front.

Aside from upgrading the pads and rotors, I think there are a few things you can also do to help keep the vibration from coming back.
1. Properly torque the lug nuts. I believe overtorqued lug nuts is one of the biggest causes of my brake vibration. After changing the front brakes, I always checked the lug nut torque on my wheels after every service done by someone else, and adjusted it if needed.
2. Be sure that the hub surface is clean of any rust, dirt, or debris prior to installing new rotors. I cleaned the rust off mine with a wire brush attachment on my drill. I also spread on a very thin coat of anti-sieze.
3. After a hard braking event (i.e. long hill, highway exit, etc.), try not to stay on the brakes too long at a stop. I believe this results in transferring a high amount of brake pad material in one spot on the hot rotor. I'd suggest instead to try leaving some space in front of you, and let the car slowly creep forward until traffic allows you to get moving again.

And for the more advanced options:
4. Use a gage to measure runout of the newly installed rotors, and mount the rotor on the hub in a manner that results in the smallest runout.
5. Machine the rotors with an on-vehicle brake lathe to ensure runout is virtually eliminated throughout the assembly. This might not be needed and is debatable, as it ends up removing material and may reduce the rotor's ability to dissipate heat.

4 and 5 were not needed in my case, but may be for those who are most sensitive to the vibration. I was able to keep the pulsation away by following 1 through 3.

RoushMustang
2002 Ford Mustang GT

I've been reading about improperly torqued lug nuts. This is possible as I'm sure I have them overtorqued at 100. Will live with the pulsing for the winter and do them again in the spring.

Thanks for the advice.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Yeah, 100 ft-lbs isn't too bad, but definitely above spec. Stick with 80 ft-lbs going forward.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”