Wanting to kill the catalytic..Are there any others besides front?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
O5Q45
Car: 2005 Q45 Base sedan

Wondering if I could remove the catalytic converter? Is the one up front 1 or 2 catalyst? Are there any others on down the line?

EdBwoy

Engine head to the exhaust manifold collector
then
Upstream oxygen sensor
then
Primary catalytic converter
then
Downstream oxygen sensor
then
Secondary catalytic converter

I would confirm in the exhaust section of the FSM.
https://youtu.be/n1Nsfi7buEU

O5Q45

Thanks Ed- man I am jealous of your collection of beauties! I’ve enjoyed your you tube videos. I was posing this question because I have found these catalyst at the front to be specially made and especially expensive! Then there’s the notion online that as they age or go bad, they release ceramic dust into the motor eventually leading to there demise.. so I thought maybe nipping in the bud and just removing them... I’m sure that idea has been exercised or has it and if so, what have you heard or seen?

EdBwoy

Thank you.

While it's true that some catalyst elements could break off in some cars, there is nothing about these manifolds that makes me think they'll self destruct.
In fact, I have disassembled an engine whose left manifold had been gutted (by knocking it out) and that engine showed no signs of damage by ceramic reverse flow. I mention this because I cannot think of a better way to convert a catalyst element to powder than to chip away at it.

With the limited experience I have, this is not something I would advice you to be worried about.

O5Q45

Alright then, sounds good about what you have seen first hand.. it was an article I read about the VK45DE on wiki motors. I’m regretting deleting my resonator and the the muffler I forget the brand.. sounds great, even the neighbor said he enjoys hearing my Q start up and pull out in the morning.. I admit it sounds awesome, just the drone at low rpm is extensive especially the way my tranny shifts as quickly as possible to the next gear it end up low rpm 95% of the time.. do suppose any damage would occur with there removal?

EdBwoy

Yeah, with this platform, I'd keep the resonators. I actually considered using the resonators from an 06+ M45. Those cars sound really good to me.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”