Wanted - KV109D10S0 Ignition Timing Tool

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Gadget_man
Car: Sebring MXR with Nissan 200SX CA18DET engine and gearbox 5 speed manual

Does anyone have a spare one that they want to sell or is there an aftermarket version that does the same job?

I have a Sebring MXR fitted with a CA18DET engine and transmission and I am struglling with the ignition timing. I have read posts about timing being 60 degrees out which is where I am at.

I am in UK but will pay shipping costs and a good price for the tool.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

How are you 60 degrees out? Do you have adjustable cam gears or aggressive reground camshafts? Has your head been milled more than 3 times already? You should be able to set your timing initial timing with ease. I've built many of these engines and never once had to reference the tool you're referring to. Please help us help you, by providing more details on the situation you're in.

Cheers

Buddyworm

60deg out? Are you taking it off the timing loop towards the rear of the coilpack harness?

Gadget_man

Thanks for the interest. I have just changed the water pump and therefore taken the timing belt off. It has been aligned in accordance with the FSM. I marked the CAS before dismantling and I have put it back in approximately the same position. When I connect my timing light between the coil pack and No 1 spark plug my timing mark is as far to the left of the engine as the timing mark is to the right. I am guessing 60 degrees out. To my knowledge the engine is stock and runs well with the timing set to my temporary marks. I haven't used the loop at the top of the engine for any timing.

Thanks for any help. this is driving me mad. I have purchased a more recent timing light (Gunson 77008) with adjustable advance but haven't had a chance to check it this way yet. I will still have to connect a old plug lead to the coil pack to use this impulse timing light.

Buddyworm

How do the pulley marks line up if you give it a bit of a rev? I've seen these CAS be out by huge margins at idle but line right up to the proper timing mark if you rev the engine up slightly.

You should be seeing 10deg advance at idle and see it jump to 20-25deg or so when you raise the rpms a bit.

Gadget_man

I haven't tried revving it. I was concerned about how far out the timing seems to be. I will give it a try at weekend and see what happens. The European setting is 15 degrees btdc on idle.

Thanks

Gadget_man

Just as an aside I have fitted aluminium pulleys but I checked the aluminium crank pulley against the original and the marks were correct to the woodruff slot.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

It wouldn't run if the timing was 60°off. Either you're not reading the timing marks correctly, or your timing light is bad. I've never had good luck with the adjustable ones. I've used my non-adjustable, cheapo timing light for years and it works great every time. The timing loop doesn't work worth a damn either btw. The only way I've found to get a good timing signal is to remove the coil pack and use a spark plug wire and the put your timing light clamp on that.

Buddyworm

For a timing light I use one that looks identical to this one but with a different brand's sticker on it. http://www.amazon.ca/Wilmar-W80578-Self ... B002KS72GA

Works awesome. The pickup is sensitive enough that it can pick up the ignition signal from the coil pack harness with no need for the high tension lead in between the plug and coil. It's very consistent.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”