Want HICAS crank pulley

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
biosehnsucht

TL;DR friend wrecked my old non-HICAS car many years ago, I got a HICAS car with blown KA for $800 about a year later, then never did anything. Motor is just halfass dropped into the "new" S13, not even exhaust or wiring hooked up etc.

Trying to finally start getting the bits and pieces to get the CA running in the "new" 240. I found a HICAS pump (hopefully with bracket, honestly can't remember) in Japan with a friend's help some time ago, but so far have not found a crank pulley. Worst case scenario I just eat 3-rib belts instead of using 4-rib belts, I suppose, but if anyone has an extra HICAS pulley laying around ...

I remember a time when people were desperately in search of non-HICAS pulleys ...

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I'll see if I still have my original crank pulley. I know it was a HICAS pulley. I've had Ross Tuffbond pulleys for years now, so I can't imagine I still have it laying around.

biosehnsucht

No problems with aftermarket pulley and lack of harmonic dampener ? I didn't want to go that route myself even though in theory someone could make a custom HICAS pulley for me ...

float_6969

The Ross balancers ARE dampened, that's why I use them. I have the race version, and the regular version. The Tuffbond part of the name is in reference to the rubber dampening material that they use to bond the two metals of the pulley together.

I for sure threw my old HICAS pulley away, but something in my head says the Ross balance is set up for a HICAS belt and has the extra rib. I can't look though because the pulley is at my brother in law's shop.

biosehnsucht

Wow, I never heard of aftermarket crank pulleys with dampeners ! Everything was machined aluminum back in the day ...

Sucks to hear your old pulley is gone. But at least it sounds like I have an option if I want to spend the money on it. For now I may just wing it with a 3-bit belt on the non-HICAS pulley, since I won't be driving it much and if I lose power steering it's not the end of the world.

float_6969

Yea, these engines have become really popular down in Australia and they have a good amount of support down there.

float_6969

Yea, these engines have become really popular down in Australia and they have a good amount of support down there.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”