Walther P99

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
boro drift
Car: '87 Supra, '92 240 with SR20 and '98 12 valve Cummins

So, I've decided to buy a P99 .40 S/W. What I can't decide on is which model to get, AS or QA. I personally prefer a single action trigger pull. I searched the net and the only thing I am un clear of is, if you fire a round in the AS, does it stay in single action mode or do you have to put it in sa mode(pull the trigger half way) after every shot? The QA is supposed to be basically like a Glock, a light, consistent trigger pull. But, I've never shot a Glock, so again I'm unsure. Does anyone own or have knowledge on this weapon? Thanks.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

eh...not really sure...hang on and I'll look into it.

the P99 isn't a bad pistol...check out some Springfield XD's, Glocks and the Smith and Wesson M&P too...unless you're just dead set on the Walther.

me personally, I wanna get a P-38...they're freakin' evil looking (probably because it was the widespread Nazi sidearm) and great shooters.

have you gone to a shop to look at them, hold and dry fire yet?

if it doesn't feel good, don't bother buying it.

ok, the QA is similar to a Glock by being preloaded...kinda like a half cocked stryker pistol...it'll have a slightly long heavy feel to it.

the AS...it's still a traditional Double action...but the trigger feel doesn't change...sounds kinda weird, I've never messed with one to really comment.

me personally, I'd probably just opt for the standard doubleaction.

first trigger pull assuming it's decocked will be long and heavy followed by light short pulls.

boro drift

Thanks for your reply Mr1der. I frequented shops in the past and there were never any in stock. I would like to look at one in person like you said. I own a P22 and it is a great little pistol, like an extension of your hand. And the ergonomics of the P99 are supposed to be as good or better. I'll hit all the gun retailers and pawn shops this weekend and see if I can't find one to look at and I'll report back.

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

He's right. Do yourself a favor and shoot the XD and a Glock before paying too much for a P99.

I was not impressed with it. I also tend to avoid anything that might send money S&W's way. Kowtowing bastards.

Mr1der

can't argue there...

they threw civilians under a bus.

Springfield Armory's customer support and warranty is OUTSTANDING as well.

I show my XD some today...I was able to throw up a sub 2 inch 5 shot with some 230gr Hydrashocks at about 15 yds freehand...but for the most part screwed up because I couldn't see sights from fogging safety glasses and just straight up jerking the trigger.

I need to shoot more...I was damn near ashamed of myself.

boro drift

I'm also looking at Sig P226's, specifically the elite series. I would have to save up an extra $300 but it would be worth it.

boro drift

Well, I went and checked a new XDm, and I liked it a lot. Good ergonomics, short trigger pull, adjustable back strap, 16 round mag, and there's a promotional deal going on now. If you buy a new XD, you get a coupon to send to Springfield Armory for free stuff. 2 mags, belt holster, mag loader, etc. If I take the plunge and buy a new pistol, this is going to be it. Thanks for referring it to me guys!

Edit- Did some more research, the pistol comes with all the stuff above. The coupon you get upon purchase is for 2 extra mags, for a total of 4.
Modified by boro drift at 3:10 PM 12/20/2008

SullivanRacing06
Car: r32 gtst, 06 350z, r32 gtr, rs4 steaga, 04 350z, f350/6bt

u open to get a 9mm or r u stick to the 40? ive owned a p89 ruger with the aluminum trigger assembly and housing for almost 2 years now, never had a problem with the gun, never has jammed on me, double action trigger and its got a lefty and righty safty so it dosent matter if your right or left handed, paid 350.00 tax included with a rouge grip and 3 15 round mags from beckwiths in gainesville

Urabus GodofTraction

SullivanRacing06 wrote:u open to get a 9mm or r u stick to the 40? ive owned a p89 ruger with the aluminum trigger assembly and housing for almost 2 years now, never had a problem with the gun, never has jammed on me, double action trigger and its got a lefty and righty safty so it dosent matter if your right or left handed, paid 350.00 tax included with a rouge grip and 3 15 round mags from beckwiths in gainesville
YOU bought it?

When will you learn...

boro drift

Well, my conscious got the best of me and I put all my bonus check on my credit card debt. I will just have to wait and budget to get my XDm.

LeroyBrown
Car: 1995 nissan 240sx s14 blacktop

i would rather get a springfield.

Urabus GodofTraction

boro drift wrote:Well, my conscious got the best of me and I put all my bonus check on my credit card debt. I will just have to wait and budget to get my XDm.
Good man. By the time you've saved up the cash you'll find a nice used one from somebody who needed cash to pay off credit card debt!

The XDm is a great choice.

Mr1der

it's a nice pistol.

http://www.xdtalk.com

I'm a lurker there and occasionally post as DevJames.

good site. Lots of users...not really much Glock hate....it's usually as a result of retard Glock fanbois anyway.

have you tried a layaway plan?

a lot of small shops will do them....some finance for one or two years at a low interest rate.

I almost got a Springfield M1A SOCOM II because of this then came to my senses...I think.....

boro drift

AAhhrrgg! Doing the right thing is KILLING me. I want the XDm soooo bad! It's gonna be hard not to walk into the shop tomorrow and buy it. What should I do, Mr1der? Charlieo?

Mr1der

check for a layaway or flat out don't get it yet.

wait til the income return.

Urabus GodofTraction

boro drift wrote:AAhhrrgg! Doing the right thing is KILLING me. I want the XDm soooo bad! It's gonna be hard not to walk into the shop tomorrow and buy it. What should I do, Mr1der? Charlieo?
Worth it to pay straight cash.

Have you been looking for used ones?

boro drift

I'll go check and see if the shop will do layaway tomorrow. I have the cash, but I also have about $17,000 debt between a credit card and a line of credit at the bank. I need to get my ish payed off cause I got my eye on a new 370Z, but a good firearm is never a bad investment.

cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

I was going to start a new thread, but since we're talking about the XDm here, I have a few questions for the more knowledgeable.

I've been shopping the past few days and I'm between the XDm and the S&W M&P. I looked at a Glock 22, but didn't like the way it felt compared to the others.

This gun won't be my EDC (I'm looking into a smaller gun for that, maybe .38 or .32).

I can't decide on 9mm vs. .40 S&W. 9mm shells are a bit cheaper (about $4 per 50), you have a bit more capacity, and I'm not very concerned about knock down power vs. penetration if I have to use the weapon to defend myself.

XDm: Comes with nice case, holster, 2 clips, speed loader, and rebate for 2 more clips. Interchangeable backstraps16+1 in .40, 19+1 in 9mmDouble trigger and grip safetyVery comfortable$580

M&P:Comes with 2 clipsInterchangeable backstraps15+1 in .40, 17+1 in 9mmHinged trigger with a different feel (seems like it has a longer stroke)Clean design (IMO the XDm looks like a brick, not that it really matters)Like an extension of my hand (LOVE the way it feels)Made in U.S.A.$500

Which would you buy? Any other suggestions for around $650?

boro drift

I picked up my new XDm-40 today, what an awsome piece of hardware! Feels great in my hand, field strips in seconds, short consistant trigger pull, and comes with alot of gear. I can't wait to shoot it. If the weather doesn't clear up, I'll hit the indoor range.

Now I need a set of dies for .40 S/W.

LocAL_anarchy
Car: 08 Mustang GT
95 Nissan 240sx
96 Ford Explorer Sport

Having had no love for the XD (in fact, I think I stated as much in another thread), I have to say I have a totally different, positive opinion of the XDm. I'm not really sure what it is about this new series (ergonomics?), but just the other day, I went through about 50 rounds in my friends new .40, and it felt great! The grip, the trigger break, the recoil, everything felt smooth and natural. I had a decent grouping at about 30 meters, and having not been to a range in a while, was pretty satisfied. This would get my vote.

Not too familiar with the M&P. Checked it out at Cabelas a few months ago, felt REALLY good in my hand.

9mm vs. .40? Basically apples to oranges in my opinion, as I prefer .45. But if over-penetration is not a factor, might as well go 9mm. Like you said, higher capacity and slightly cheaper. Cycle a thousand rounds or so through whatever you decide to buy, and it will be an extension of your hand.

boro drift: Never fired the P99, but I have heard some good things about it. Love how it looks.

Mr1der: Visited my gf's uncle for the holidays. Has an extensive WW-II collection, of which includes a P-38. First time holding one, felt extremely good! A little heavy and wide, but I'm guessing that helps with the recoil(?) I like how the short slide exposes the barrel. Probably pretty accurate. I want one now, too!

Urabus GodofTraction

cmfireman wrote:I was going to start a new thread, but since we're talking about the XDm here, I have a few questions for the more knowledgeable.

I've been shopping the past few days and I'm between the XDm and the S&W M&P. I looked at a Glock 22, but didn't like the way it felt compared to the others.

This gun won't be my EDC (I'm looking into a smaller gun for that, maybe .38 or .32).

I can't decide on 9mm vs. .40 S&W. 9mm shells are a bit cheaper (about $4 per 50), you have a bit more capacity, and I'm not very concerned about knock down power vs. penetration if I have to use the weapon to defend myself.

XDm: Comes with nice case, holster, 2 clips, speed loader, and rebate for 2 more clips. Interchangeable backstraps16+1 in .40, 19+1 in 9mmDouble trigger and grip safetyVery comfortable$580

M&P:Comes with 2 clipsInterchangeable backstraps15+1 in .40, 17+1 in 9mmHinged trigger with a different feel (seems like it has a longer stroke)Clean design (IMO the XDm looks like a brick, not that it really matters)Like an extension of my hand (LOVE the way it feels)Made in U.S.A.$500

Which would you buy? Any other suggestions for around $650?
I'd never buy a S&W product. They've traditionally made **** (Sigma, anyone?), and their collaboration with Clinton during the Dark Ages is unforgivable.

The XD is so much better that even barring the above, I'd never buy an M&P. If you're looking for another polymer, I love my FNP 40.

Mr1der

the XDm has a better trigger and a match grade barrel compared to the standard XD.

the trigger on it should get even better within the first 200 rounds.

new XD owners go here.

http://www.xdtalk.com

the M&P isn't a bad pistol by any means...if you like it more, get it.

they're supposed to be pretty accurate...dunno if they'll shoot as well as the XDm or not...

the Walther p-38 is among the finest military pistols ever made.

it and the Luger were popular prizes among the GI's.

a friend of mine actuall has both a P-38 and P-o8 Luger with the Nazi markings and all numbers matching. maybe even on the mags too...really sweet pistols.

if I remember right, Stoeger or Century arms is bringing in a lot of the P-38's refinished for shooters.

last time I checked they were under 500.

I want one, but I can't justify buying it when I need a nice compact PD caliber pistol for carry.

<--also wants an NAA guardian...with one of the pocket holsters to make it profile as a wallet.

boro drift

Pics!

Urabus GodofTraction

Mr1der wrote:
I want one, but I can't justify buying it when I need a nice compact PD caliber pistol for carry.
I love my PM-9. I'm a bit small to use it as pocket carry, but you probably could.

If you're really into the pocket carry and don't mind .380 Auto, the P-3AT is similar.

Mr1der

for a pocket gun, hell, I'd be cool with a .32

I'd have a real gun not too terribly far though

I like the Guardian as it's a Seacamp clone....and has a nice trigger.

cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

In my search for a semi-auto, I came across a deal I couldn't refuse.

Just picked up a Ruger P89 from my grandpa that was bought new and only shot to get his CCW. He threw in 100 target rounds and a 50 box of hollowpoints.

Got it for $160. I figured for that price, I could just wait on my XDm.

Just ordered a set of Hogue rubber grips, 2 15 rd. clips and a holster for it!!

Mr1der

its' a fine pistol for that price.

should be pretty damn accurate.

another good budget gun is a CZ-75B.

they can be found sub 500 and are freakin' tack drivers.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”