VQ45DE, 8 cylenders in a 240?

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Nsport240
Car: My Car

I spoke with the guys at Unstable Hybrids here in Atlanta, and it's apparantly possible to swap in a Q45 V8. The problem Im tossing around, is "can you mate a manual transmission to the VQ45DE?"

I am Technoman
Car: ???

I can t think of any tranny that would work

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

haha keep dreamin eric!!

Nsport240
Car: My Car

See, Will, I dream of 8 Cylinders, thats why im asking around. But seriously, even try thinking outside of the box all of you techno gurus out there; R240na, dont leave me hangin here either. there has to be a transmission that could be mated to this motor that i can shift:confused:

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

how bout a kia transmission...should do just fine!

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I was going to do a blower motor for my silvia motor but the costs were way to high but I want to see it done so I will pass on the things I learned playing with the idea.

There is no stock Nissan tranny that will bolt up, you will have to have a custom bellhousing or adaptor plate done.

VQ30DET stock pistons drop in to lower the compression. They are both 93mm bores.

NISMO used to make metal head gaskets for the VH41 which will go on the VH45. They both share the same bore size

Eibach makes valve springs for it. Beyond that I could find no off the shelf parts.

Pick the aussie's brains, they appear to be the only ones really pushing the envelope on these motors. I think AZ hitman has a Q45, maybe he can steer you in the direction of some more parts or info.

sultan

ask your question again in the infiniti online mechanic section. swapping has been discussed for Q45's. it is a VH45DE, not VQ. if you're in atlanta you should go to T3 Automotive and talk to dennis (Q45tech), he's the one who would probably answer your question anyway. there had been some discussion of putting a 300zx tranny because the bolt pattern is the same (according to sopdadope's mechanic). problem is the ECU, it needs input from the TCU, and those are programmed for automatics. you probably would need a different ECU like a SDS. here's the address to T3.T3 Automotive Ltd.5322 S. Cobb Dr.Atlanta, GA 30080(404) 794-7700

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

It can't be the same, the VG is a 60 degree V, the VH a 90 degree V. A shop in mainland just put a VH in a 300ZX and they had to modify the bellhousing.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Many of us have been thinking of mating a VH45DE to a manual tranny.It's just a matter of time before the first guy does it.

As for dropping this engine into a 240SX.It's not a narrow engine ( four cams),... lenght should be ok (but measure it first).

It all depends on how much you want it.Excellent JDM takeouts can be had on these engines for 2k, (add on $$for assorted new sensors/preipherals as you want your engine to run perfect.Remember this is not an economy engine so this will cost.

I reiterate Sultans advice.You are lucky enough to live in Atlanta, home of T3 Automotive, which is generally acknowledged to be the prime expert on VH45DE's east of the Missisipi (if not the country).

Find Dennis aka Q45tech ( a moderator here).Make it clear to him off the bat, that you are not just a ricer chasing the latest "nissan is cool" trend and that you have both money and the will to really do this.(Nobody likes PPL that run out of money in the middle of a project)

He will dispense free and very expert advice.He is also a perfectionist so anything he says will work, will work well.He may also discourage you based on cost of this venture, but he is the greatest authority on these engines I know of, outside of the men that designed it.

Fred....:)

I am Technoman
Car: ???

I just hope you have lots of money because you will need it on this mod!

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”