VQ35DE Throttle body question

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
arthursc2
Car: 1993 Saturn SC2
1994 Ranger Prerunner

I have an interesting swap in mind, but it all boils down to finding a VQ35 that has a cable operated TB. From my understanding, most are throttle-by-wire. From the little bit of research I have done, some Pathfinders have a cable operated throttle body, but also have a rather low speed limiter.

Using OEM Nissan wiring harness, ECU, and engine, I am trying to build a RWD VQ powered Saturn SC2.

Alot of the 240 guys use 350 harnesses and ECU's from my understanding. I assume that they also use the pedal assembly and throttle body from the 350. As you all know, it has 2 sensors on the pedal. Granted I could fabricate a mount for the 350 pedal and sensors, I would still like to try to build a vehicle that has a cable throttle and not a 113mph limiter.

I also posted on engineswaptech, but that forum is pretty slow.

Here is the car that is potentially going to get this engine/ drivetrain swap/build:

And this is how she pretty much has looked for the 3 years I have owned and driven it lol

I can weld and fabricate no problem, but knowing nothing of Nissan wiring, electronics and programming, I am trying to make this simple in terms of engine management. Thats why I want to use OEM Nissan harnesses and ECU. Also, its more reliable that way, and I do not want to mess with Mega Squirting the car to get it to run. Another problem I have, is I have simply never messed with an ODB II vehicle, and VQ35's are exclusively OBD II (another reason I want to keep it OEM as possible)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate any help you can give me. You guys are the experts, I am just the guy with a welder and grinder and tape measure. lol

Pwnin O'Brien

The 2001 and 2002 Pathfinders will have a cable-driven throttle body and have a speed limitation of 108 or 110MPH.

Zman0690
Car: 71' 240Z VQ35DE

I may be way off base here but the limitation does not come from the throttle body. It comes from the ecu, therefor you should have not problem using a pathfinder TB as many who have done this swap have done so. I personally am in the middle of this swap into a 240Z and am going to utilize the pathfinder TB, however once you take a long hard look at all the BS you have to go thru to use the stock ecu and how much it costs to remove these limitations you may be more inclined to go haltech or if you don't care about the vvt then megasquirt. If I wasn't planning on boosting after the swap I would definitely consider megasquirt because of cost, functionality and online tech support. Besides there are already baseline maps you can use from other VQ swaps.

arthursc2
1994 Ranger Prerunner

Well, this project is in the design phase still, but I think I made my mind up on the VQ30. Easier and cheaper to get ahold of. And most of the vehicle they came in are OBDI, making passing emissions easier.

I am still determining whats going to happen, but thanks for the help guys. I will look for the Pathfinders at the yard next time I go?

arthursc2
1994 Ranger Prerunner

Zman0690 wrote:I may be way off base here but the limitation does not come from the throttle body. It comes from the ecu, therefor you should have not problem using a pathfinder TB as many who have done this swap have done so.

You are correct, but the vehicle's whos ECU is programmed to properly read the cable TB are limited to 108. Make sense? I am looking to keep the wiring as OEM as possible, so thats why I asked.

Ellison@FCPImport
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe A/T

Why not get the ecu re-flashed by techno-square and it will take care of the problem.

eidk
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Remember depending on what year you take the vq35de engine and ecu from you will need a BCM and get NATS to function correctly.

Andy4106
Car: 91 s13
08 frontier

you can get an ecu from an older engine to run on a new one no problem.

uprev

Make it super simple. Grab any 2003 and newer VQ35 out of a Z or G. Get the engine harness and the ECU. Our software can disable NATS and allow you to run that motor including the electronic throttle body in anything, be it a boat, buggy, or a Saturn.

Not sure why you'd need to go to the trouble of converting it to a cable based throttle body. You can grab the pedal assembly from the vehicle too if you're worried about it.

flynbyu82

You mean your PRO TUNER/DEALER software... None of your consumer software offers NATS removal, correct?

FAST-DATSUN

what year had the cable TB??????????????????

schmellyfart
Car: 1997 Nissan Maxima

FAST-DATSUN wrote:what year had the cable TB??????????????????
Did you even read the thread? :facepalm:
arthursc2 wrote:Well, this project is in the design phase still, but I think I made my mind up on the VQ30. Easier and cheaper to get ahold of. And most of the vehicle they came in are OBDI, making passing emissions easier.

I am still determining whats going to happen, but thanks for the help guys. I will look for the Pathfinders at the yard next time I go?
All US Maxima and I30 VQ30 engines are OBDII.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”