vq35de swap into 00 frontier?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Oliver Hedwayte
Car: 00 frontier SE CC short bed 4x4 auto

I'm picking this motor up for $100. It's out of an 02 maxima. I know the block is setup wrong for my truck and the starter is on the opposite side. The question is, if I find a pathfinder block or maybe a 350Z and swap in the internals from the maxima will it mate up with my transmission?

I have 00 frontier v6 4x4 auto.

Thanks,Josh

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

The info I have on this tells me this: Not as straight bolt up. But a transmission adaptor can remedy that issue. I do not know where you can find one. Perhaps NM50 or Desert Rat know if such an item exists.

FACT: Calmini out of California did a 3.5 engine conversion on an 4WD Xterra and I believe they used the Pathfinder's transmission in the swap. I know Desert Rat has info on this item because he drools a little each time he talks about it.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

What you'll need is a Pathfinder or QX4 transmission (sorry, I think an auto is your only shot), and transfer case.

You'll need custom motor mounts, custom exhaust manifolds, and all the 3.5 electronics, ECU, etc.

The VQ block is wider than the VG and the custom exhaust manifolds need to snugly get down between the framerails. A friend of mine who worked at the Nissan Proving grounds here in Arizona built an Xterra with this drivetrain and dubbed it Project X. (it wasn't Calmini that built it, but it did have a lot of Calmini parts on it such as lift, bumpers, etc.) It made appearances at events around the country such as GOX and GONEMoab back in 2003. This is definitely a project for experts, especially in getting the electronics to work, and the fabrication on getting it all in there.

Doable, but difficult.

Oliver Hedwayte
Car: 00 frontier SE CC short bed 4x4 auto

Thanks for the replys. I've found all of the listed items either on ebay or junkyards. I was wondering about that transfer case. I thought the pathfinders all used the tx-10? Is if a different variation from the one in our frontiers? The motor mounts wouldn't be an issue, I could fab those. I was thinking of some oem 350z exhaust manifolds and intake manifold. Everything after the cats would be custom. My buddies and I have experience in motor swaps and rewiring things, so I don't think it is going to be easy, but still something that we could accomplish.

The great thing is the frontier isn't my daily driver, so that will help quite a bit. One more question. If I decide not to go with this swap, are any of the internals interchangeable between the vg and vq?

Thanks again,Josh

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

As a matter of fact you can Stroke the 3.3L into a true 3.4L

Here's the link on how it can be done. It uses all Nissan Parts to make it happen cap'n!

Building up a 90's Era Pathy with a stroked 3.3L

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

They are the same Tcase, but do some more checking because I think the Pathys may have had some electronics that weren't available elsewhere.

That said, you'd still need the Pathfinder transmission to bolt up to the 3.5.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”