VQ35DE In a 2000 Xterra?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
TalonReese

I was wondering if this swap was possible, and I saw a mod mention that it was. Anyone got any info on this swap? How much has the engine compartment changed, as in, could the stock mounts from an 05 work? I'm assuming the trannies are different, so would an adapter plate be easiest, or should I get the trans with the new engine and get a driveshaft made? (or maybe it will just drop in, yeah right ) Any info people could give me would be greatly appreciated. My sad 3.3 has 205k and has always been a bit underpowered for me. Also thinking of doing the 3" lift at the same time if that helps with clearance/mounting issues...

hsckris
Car: 07 V8 4runner

TalonReese wrote: Anyone got any info on this swap? How much has the engine compartment changed, as in, could the stock mounts from an 05 work?
**disclaimer** i don't have any first hand knowledge, just basing this on general knowledge of both vehicles

i've owned the frontier version of both the 05 and up and the 01-04 (both of which are almost identical to the x). the 01-04 looked and felt one crap of a lot slimmer than my 06, and that vq40de doesn't have a ton of room around it in the 06. i think you'd have better luck with a vq35de from a pathy (i believe it was 01-04 that it came with a 240hp version). or you could do a vg buildup === nissan performance magazine did one with a hybrid vg30 and vg33 components and posted good results.
TalonReese wrote:so would an adapter plate be easiest, or should I get the trans with the new engine and get a driveshaft made? (or maybe it will just drop in, yeah right
i seriously doubt the 01-04 xterra transmissions can handle the added torque of the vq35 or vq40. nissan performance magazine reported slippage in their pathfinder with their vq buildup. i don't know first hand, but i also seriously doubt they will bolt up, and even if they did, you are likely to fry that stock pre-05 x transmission.

also, i highly doubt the shift points would be anywhere near optimized as the vq series has a higher redline and torque peak than the vg (somewhat depending on which one you select)
TalonReese wrote: 3" lift at the same time if that helps with clearance/mounting issues...
i don't really see how this would help... i guess if you did a body lift you'd have more clearance vertically for the engine (?)

that said -- if it physically fits, it can be done. just a matter of how much work and $ you are willing to put in.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

It was me that mentioned dropping a 3.5 into the Xterra.

You would need the engine, computer and tranny from the donor vehicle. The Pathy's also employ an electronic 4wd engagement system where the xterra relies on the shift lever. That item would have to figured out.

Dimensionally the 3.3 and 3.5 are close but the 3.5 exhaust is a bit wider. If there are hood clearance issues there are a few options by way of after market vents and hood blisters that allow for up to 4 inches of added clearance.

The oil pan is the only sticking issue in my mind. Not sure of the clearances at that area above the front differential

TalonReese

Well, looks like I need to get some specs on the size of the engine bay and whatnot. And after looking for tranny #'s for a while I came to a similar conclusion that the vq35 would most likely be too much for the old trans, especially if I mod it later.

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

A Pathfinder or QX4 makes the best donor.

Nissan did this with their Project X vehicle a few years back, which I got to ride in . The mechanic who built it is a good friend of mine. It was NOT easy. As mentioned, the VQ35DE is much wider, and required custom bent headers to clear the framerails. What's also difficult is swapping all the electronics over, as you'll need the ECM and wiring harness from the 3.5. Nothing is interchangeable with the 3.3. Custom engine and transmission mounts are also required.

Just as bit of trivia, they never built them this way because it wouldn't pass a crash test. VG33's slide down between the framerails and under the truck in a severe frontal collision. The 3.5 doesn't fit and would intrude on the passenger compartment.

When cost and debugging are considered, you're honestly probably better off trading up for an '05+ model that already has a larger more powerful engine than the 3.5.

TalonReese

Thanks for the advice guys, althoguh the electronic 4wd control thing is worrying me. Anyone out there got any advice in how to tackle that issue?

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

I think the electronic 4wd option on the pathfinder still utilizes a modified TX-10A Tcase, and the bolt pattern from the transmission may be the same, meaning you could use your existing manual case.

Not dead sure on this, but I think that's how Project X was put together.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”