VQ35DE block swap?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
jjfastback

my son has got a smoking VQ35DE in his 03 350z, and I have another engine that has 17k miles on it, but the block is cracked around the motor mounts on the drivers side and the guy we got it from had attempted welding it up but it has a small leak in the weld.
So you guys on here are knowlegable so what can be done with the welded block?

AZ350Z
Car: 2003 350Z Black

Ditch the welded block. You can buy a bare block VQ for $300 or so. You might consider just building the original motor from your sons car as well.

jjfastback

Thanks AZ,
Where is the best place to get the bare block?
When you say building the original engine, are you talking about just getting bigger pistons and rings and having the cylinders bored out, just rebuilding the top end only?

AZ350Z
Car: 2003 350Z Black

You would go .20 over and use new pistons...I use CP pistons on all my builds with Eagle rods. Machine work will run you around $600, the rods, pistons, gasket kit and ARP hardware run about $1600 or so.

I would go that route if I were you. The advantage of buying another block is the bottom end can be assembled while the car is still driving. Then, its a quick job to transfer the top end over.

I usally look on Craigslist for blocks and blown engines.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

AZ350Z wrote:Ditch the welded block.
This.
AZ350Z wrote:The advantage of buying another block is the bottom end can be assembled while the car is still driving. Then, its a quick job to transfer the top end over.
And this too. I can't imagine going any other route on anything other than a "toy" car. Was planning on the same thing with my 240SX until it went out on loan. I'm still considering it when it comes back home. I've already got 3 HUD units (and an analog backup).

I need a bigger garage.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”