VQ35DE - 2 of 6 coils won't fire - coils tested good - HELP

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
AltimaRyan
Car: Silver 2003 Altima SE 3.5L Automatic

My name is Ryan, I'm a newbie, and hoping you all can help me figure this out. I purchased a 2003 Altima SE, 77k miles, with the 3.5L VQ35DE, Auto trans. The car has had a misfire since I bought it, and I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out this weird problem I'm seeing. The only code the vehicle has is a P0300 Random/multiple misfire code, so the first thing I did was change the plugs just to start out with all of them new and to eliminate the cheap things first. The car still had a miss and the code came back after I cleared it. Then I started the car and began pulling coils to determine if I had a bad coil. Every time i disconnected a coil the engine would stumble like it should, except for cylinders 1 and 3. So I swapped those two coils with two of the others that tested good, and the problem remained with cylinders 1 and 3. After that I checked the spark plugs for those two cylinders, and it looked just as clean as when i pulled them out of the box. I checked the wiring to those two coils, and I've got power and ground going to both of the coils, and read battery voltage across the terminals.

Has anybody seen this before? If I've got power and ground to these two coils then why isn't the PCM commanding spark? Or do you think it could be the injectors? It's just odd that the two are right next to each other on the one bank. Please help, any info or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”