VQ20 to VQ30 swap

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
maximamannen

Greetings from Sweden!

In Europe we got the Nissan Maxima QX with engines VQ20DE or VQ30DE. To you this would be the Infiniti I30 but with a grille like in middleeast or japan. We also have the variable intake system. -Confusing, huh?Anyway, I'm toying with the idea to do some performance upgrades...(you'll never be the same after watching videoclips of turbocharged Maximas!)

This is a really stupid idea if you live in Europe scince there are zero parts available, but it would give you an unique ride.(too many skylines here now)

I don't expect you in the US to know much about this but...any input on difference between the VQ20 / VQ30 would be highly appreciated.-No need to mention the bore ;-)Things like cylinder head, injectors etc.what separates the chassis are also interesting. I know the front calipers/rotors differ. I got sliding calipers, you have 2pistons ??

I'm just trying to find out if it's worth the effort to swap engines.And, no, i'm not interested in turbocharging the 2litre.

btw. does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Nissan electronic parts catalogue for free ?

Thank you for reading!

NISTECH

actually if you take a look in the maxima forum you will see a video of a vq30de with 560 hp engine. It is owned by one of the moderators.

maximamannen

Maybe my post was a bit confusing...I'm thinking of turbocharging a VQ30DE but I only have the VQ20DE. I'm simply wondering if it's worth the effort to swap to a VQ30DE or if it's cheaper/better to get a Maxima with a VQ30 allredy in it.If it only involves replacing engine and ecu, thats fine.

SR20DEN

That swap should be very easy to do. Give it a try.

turbo6
Car: '05 350Z Turbo, '98 SC300 9.3@156, '99 SC400, '02 Police Interceptor

Also, I am not sure what the VQ30 costs here (I am presently in London).. but at home they cost ~200$ or ~115£? ... The ECU's are not very expensive either. My guess is you would need the wiring harness as well?

If you plan to turbo it, maybe save the money you would have payed for ecu+wiring harness, and invest that directly in a standalone to run the VQ30?

Turbo VQ30 is fun.

maximamannen

Heh, i'm in England presently too...

Not sure why i would need the harness, but what do i knowDon't know the price of a vq30 in sweden yet, but i got my eyes on one that used to be an automatic thats just collecting dust...

Getting like an Autronic system would be the ultimate solution but they cost like 1900 USD or so...

Anyway, i'll get the parts catalogue and start comparing numbers for the two models.

Only negative thing with a turbo setup is that i have to yank the turbo out once a year to pass the veichle inspection....

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I am sure we can get one of our site sponsors to give you good a "as shipped price" on a couple VQ30 de's.

Fred..:)

NISTECH

Hal did you get your vid fixed yet? I sent him to watch it and found out later the link was dead.

maximamannen

Are you refering to the vids of hlh0501's ride ?-They are the reson why i started to have these crazy ideas X-)(still drooling)

btwIf you switch ecu, you need to reprogram it for the immobilizer don't you?Does it have to be done using the consul ??

NISTECH

yes and yes

SR20DEN

maximamannen wrote:Heh, i'm in England presently too...

Not sure why i would need the harness, but what do i knowDon't know the price of a vq30 in sweden yet, but i got my eyes on one that used to be an automatic thats just collecting dust...

Getting like an Autronic system would be the ultimate solution but they cost like 1900 USD or so...

Anyway, i'll get the parts catalogue and start comparing numbers for the two models.

Only negative thing with a turbo setup is that i have to yank the turbo out once a year to pass the veichle inspection....
From the pics of the Euro A32s that I have seen I would say that you'll need no harness change. The entire longblock should be a direct drop in. And even if it isn't you would simply use a few of the VQ20 parts for different sensors if it has them. The only swap that would become a problem is if you got a U.S. VQ35DE because of the CVTC. However even it can be transplanted in varous ways.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”