Voice recognition

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
MALEX

Hello -

I just got an EX, and was using the voice recognition system. It seems the selection of commands in the Owner's Manual is more extensive than what I see in the car. I am in the "Alternate command mode" since I want to access the audio system, and while I can turn on the radio, for example, that's about all. I can't move to different preset stations, or tune the radio frequency as it shows in the Owner's Manual - these commands aren't available when I am in the car. Do I need a firmware upgrade already? Any suggestions?

Thanks!M

hazozita

Malex,

I had the same problem, and spoke with my dealer about it. It appears that the voice commands listed in the manual are what were available in the 07 GX. The commands were “dumbed down” in the 08 GX and EX, but the manual was not updated.

It’s a shame since the voice command system is not very useful as it is presently structured. For example, you can turn on climate control, but can’t change the temp by voice – you have to turn the knob.

Hopefully, Infiniti will release a firmware upgrade (or, I should say, downgrade) so those of us with 08's (both EX's and GX's) can have the same functionality as those with 07's.

MALEX

Hazozita -

Thanks for the reply. I did some more trolling, and it looks like the extended command set is available for Canadian owners, but not here in the US. What a disappointment - turn the radio on by voice, but then tune the channels manually..... doesn't make sense.... It would be really interesting to find out what the deal is on this - Are they forcing American's to get more exercise??!

M

michel
Car: 2008 fully loaded EX35 AWD Dark Currant and Stone interior

MALEX wrote:Hazozita -

Thanks for the reply. I did some more trolling, and it looks like the extended command set is available for Canadian owners, but not here in the US. What a disappointment - turn the radio on by voice, but then tune the channels manually..... doesn't make sense.... It would be really interesting to find out what the deal is on this - Are they forcing American's to get more exercise??!

M
yes to the Canadian extended voice commands. the only problem is to remember all the key commands. the french version is really weel done.

I did'nt read through the voice command section but can you tag a name to your favorite destination ? that would cut time.

Ciao for now

Bullit
Car: 2008 ex35 silver, nav, wood, 18" rims

As a retired software guy, I'm wondering if there is a software "switch" that the dealer could access that would turn our US cars into Canadian cars so that we could access the full range of voice commands.

From a software design point of view it makes sense to have one version that is customizable via switches for different countries/markets instead of maintaining a totally different version for each market.

BTW, anyone know a shortcut to stop that stupid voice and just go to the beep?

In my 2006 FX, I just hit the button twice and spoke the command. Now, when I hit the button twice, it goes into "wait, suspend" mode, totally useless feature.

Bill

MALEX

Bullit -

See page 4-126 of the Owner's Manual. It explains how to minimize "voice feedback" which is what they call those long, tedious, voice prompts. I thought it was related to acoustic or electrical feedback at first.....

Malex

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

I'm please to hear that for the almost $10,000 more that we pay for the EX-35 up in Canada, that we don't get screwed out of a decent VR System.

I've also read this complaint on the NISSAN MURANO forum too, that the VR System is not as smart as the Canadian model.

We took an EX-35 for a test-drive on Saturday and I think we're close to buying it.

There are only 32 Dealers in Canada... and only one in my City. They have a nice cushy monopoly on Infiniti's.

mikemelle
Car: Infiniti EX35

You may see my Obsidian EX35 driving around Sherwood Park this weekend. I picked it up in Vegas last Wednesday. I share your view of the Canadian Dealers. Saved considerable $ and had a great vacation to boot.

It sure would be great if there is a software switch for this,

EXceptional

Fellow Sherwood Parkian...

Can I call you or swap e-mail addresses ?

Did you buy new ?

What did you end up paying after it's all said and done... in Canadian Dollars?

Did you pay a 6.1% Exise tax too ?

Do you still have a Full Warranty that's good in Canada ?

Which dealer did you deal with, in Las Vegas ?

Tell me anything else you can... I want to know more !

Dean

mikemelle
Car: Infiniti EX35

I will tell you the good, the bad and well there is no ugly

Mike
Modified by mikemelle at 3:37 PM 4/15/2008

Jon_
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

The beginning to a thousand Canadian jokes....

We will be driving our ex up in a few weeks to our home on VanIsle. Glad to know we won't be alone.

Question. Do the Canadian sold ones have a different setting for, are programming for, the lights that would allow you to run with them (during the day) without dimming in-car controls and screen (as though it were nighttime)?

Also, Mike, you might want to reply privately with your email rather than posting it, lest you become the recipient of all spam.

RCF
Car: EX35

I don't think the Owner's Manual p4-126 addresses this problem. I have mine set to alternative command mode, yet I still have the annoying unnecessary prompts.

EX-35 Angel

I am trying to make a decision to purchase the new EX-35 or not. I need to know if what I am reading about the voice recognition system is really correct. Is it true that the system can only turn on or off the radio, climate control, etc, but must be manually controlled by the driver once it is turned on by the voice recognition? What a useless system if this is the case. I recently test drove the Acura RDX and the voice recognition system in that vehicle was great. The entire idea of never having to take your hands off the wheel seems like such a grand safety feature to have. If the Ex-35 is not working up to the same standards, then this will be very disappointing to me because I am greatly attracted to that feature. I would love to hear from all new EX-35 owners on whether they have worked this out for the 2008 model or if anyone knows if it will do what it should for the 2009 model. Thanks in advance for your comments.EX-35 Angel

EXceptional

Well, we've only had ours for less than a week now... and it seems to do everything.

My Wife has it dial Numbers on her Bluetooth Phone, she's had it turn on and off the Climate Control and as well, change the Temperature and if she mentions any of the preset destinations in her Navigation and it responds.

In the Owners Manual, a paragraph at the beginning of the Inifiniti Voice Recognition (USA version) says... "The commands that are available are always shown on the display and announced by the system. You can complete your desired operation by simply following the prompts given by the system. In this mode, hands free operation of Audio, Climate Control and Display is not available through Voice Recogintion."

In the same Owners Manual a few pages later, the Infiniti Voice Recognition (Canada version) says... "Infiniti Voice Recognition allows hands-free operation of the Navigation system and other systems equipped on this vehicle, such as the Audio, Climate Control, Display and Phone."

So it looks the people to the South get screwed, for some reason.

bosh
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD

Was anybody successful in getting voice command "Tire Pressure" to actually "displays the Tire Pressure screen" as per 4-119?

inteller

some Infiniti guy called me and welcomed me to the Inner Circle club...whatever that is.

Anyways he asked if everything was ok with my car and I said no and proceeded to give him an earful about the huge gap in VR features between US and canada. He said he would tell Infiniti....translation....you are SOL.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Way to go, inteller!!

Having a Canadian car, I'm not affected, but all too often, people take the easy/polite route when asked point-blank. Kudos to you for speaking up and doing the "greater good", long-term!

dividedhighw

bosh wrote:Was anybody successful in getting voice command "Tire Pressure" to actually "displays the Tire Pressure screen" as per 4-119?
I don't think there is a Tire Pressure screen. I realize the manual says this, but this might (again) be a holdover from an incarnation of their firmware from another vehicle.

One of my annoyances is that the TPMS doesn't display the imputed tire pressure reading.

inteller

Considering this is a FIRST YEAR CAR there shouldn't be any "holdovers" in the manual. I think Infiniti owes us a proper manual, PDF online is fine.

dividedhighw

Oh, I couldn't agree more, but practically-speaking, I think it would be naive to expect the firmware of these functions NOT to be common across different platforms, for cost-sharing reasons.

Since Infiniti has made no secret the EX is derived from a whole lot borrowed from the G (FM architecture, engine, etc), there's no surprise (to me, anyway), that the technical writers did a cut-n-paste for the owner's manual in places. The fact they did less than a perfect job, is actually more likely for a "FIRST YEAR CAR".

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”