VLSD woes

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
nismoautoxr
Car: 95 S14

Do any of you folks who have gone to the trouble of installing a VLSD had problems with it working pretty good for a few events and then basically becoming worthless as far as the LSD action goes?I have gone through 2 of them and I cant keep em in the car .They absolutely suck from my experience with them so far .

I have tried differant lubes with little to no change.Is there a differant limited slip additive than the run of the mill over the counter stuff at the parts store that I should be using .It is very frustrating to go through a sweeper and you cant drive the car out due to the inside tire spinning like mad Grrrrrrr.

RR

NFSP 350
Car: 04 Nissan 350Z Red Enthusiust

If you keep tearing up VLSDs why keep putting them in? Why not install a clutchpack LSD? Just a thought.

nismoautoxr
Car: 95 S14

NFSP 350 wrote:If you keep tearing up VLSDs why keep putting them in? Why not install a clutchpack LSD? Just a thought.

Up to now its been a matter of economics .It has been much more affordable to put a salvage yard item in that i can buy for 50 bucks rather than the one you speak of that ranges from 500-1500 dollars depending on who what and where .I guess that is what I'm going to have to do .

NFSP 350
Car: 04 Nissan 350Z Red Enthusiust

I didnt realize that the vlsd where so cheap. I certainly understand your point. I plain on getting the Nismo LSD because its 3 way adjustable on the engagement and can be set to 1.5 or 2.0. I have priced it at $1,000.00 Hope it all works out.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

VLSD just sucks in general, ot sure why nissan dropped the CLSD in favor on the VLSD when the dropped the Z31 aand started the Z32, I guess it was cheaper

BEJAY1
Car: 97 Maxima SE

If you're putting enough power down you might be overheating the fluid beyond it's capacity. Lower power vehicles just take longer to wear it down. Another advantage of a gear type LSD is the instant locking rather than the second or so it takes for a VLSD to kick in. For racing it's a major difference.

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

nismoautoxr wrote: It has been much more affordable to put a salvage yard item in that i can buy for 50 bucks
Ever heard of you get what you pay for? Seriously, you're putting in a salvage yard item, you can't blame that 100% on the vlsd.

I've used my Infiniti J30 one (prob from a salvage yard @ one point, too) for about 2 years (plus another year in my previous car) - with daily, tons of autox, some light track duty & it was still holding up great until I took it out this past weekend to upgrade to HLSD.

My buddy has a 180sx vlsd that he has used for daily, autox, and drifting events for the past 5+ or so years & it's also holding up great. He complains that it doesn't lock as quick as the clutch types & works better in one direction over the other, but it still works.

Another buddy has her s14 vlsd w/ daily & autox duty for the past few years, also holding up great.

Perhaps it's the fluid you are using? The vlsd is a sealed unit, so it "shouldn't" need too much maintenance, but it couldn't hurt.

Or maybe you're putting down too much power that it kills the viscous once you heat it up?

Possibly just your luck...

NismoZRS
Car: 92 S13 Coupe

NFSP 350 wrote:I plain on getting the Nismo LSD because its 3 way adjustable on the engagement
sounds delicious

rioredstang
Car: 1993 240sx SCCA ITS

I'm not sure what your going to race with. If road racing or auto cross I would stay away from KAAZ or anything like those. They are too tight on turn in and will make the car loose. I use a OBX and a no name clutch type in my ITS 240. I didn't have much problem with VLSD on big tracks. I have (3) different diffs with gears I use.

Dead Serious
Car: 90 240sx hatch

things like this a very fluid sensetive.... i would suggest using exacly what the factory recomends in a vlsd.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the viscous fluid is sealed, when you change gear oil it only the oil that lubes the gears, the viscous unit is sealed

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”