VLSD vs Aftermarket LSD??

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
blind_hun

OK, I SEARCHED around for a while and couldn't find the exact answer that I am looking for, so I am here to ask you guys. What are the main differences between the two except the fact that one is gear and the other is clutch??What are the potentials of the two; will a VLSD satisfice my need for drifting and auto; or do I need the nismo or kaaz one??(I am starting to learn both, so I am still in the beginner stage) I know in the previous post they said the vlsd can hold up to 400hp, but does that mean it does the same job as an aftermarket one until 400hp or just it will break at 400hp?? I also want to know in what application do I need an aftermarket lsd compare to what application is the vlsd good for?? I just want to know all the diffence in the two so I don't have to waste 1200 on a nismo one when I could have a used vlsd for 300 bucks and spend the rest of the money on quality track time!! Thanks guys and gals!!

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The VLSD neither uses gears or a clutch for the limited slip action. It uses a viscous coupling. Basically a silicone based fluid sits between two plates and as the two plates move in opposite directions, the fluid thickens and provides resistance. Helical, Torsen or Quaiffe Diffs use gears to privide the limited slip action. Clutch types are pretty straight forward as it uses friction between discs.

Each has advantages and disadvantages. VLSD's are pretty transparent under normal driving, but are usually a bit looser than the other two.

Helical are also transparent under cruise, but typically provide plenty of ock-up. As the torque difeerence between the wheels get greater, it also holds even harder. But the disadvantage is it needs to have at least a small amount of torque to both wheels. If one wheel gets off the ground, it will no longer provide the limited slip action.

Clutch types provide great response, much more tunable by the end user, and can provide a lot of lock-up. However, there are typically more attention needed to break-in and can be noisy. It also wears out over time. VLSD's and Helical diffs do not typically wear. While helical diffs might wear over a long period of time, I believe it is minimal.

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

:bowdown C-Kwik

thats one of the best explanations i have ever read on these boards : )

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

you didnt search enough, the FAQ covers how differential works and what the differences are....but C-kwick has got a damn good explanation.-chet

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”