VK45 + G35 + Twin turbo

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

Are you going to run a/c? I have never seen the subframe of a G35 but if the sway bar lines up like the 300zx and 240's then the ps pump will be an issue. If I could have done one thing it would have been to make some alternate mounting source for the p/s pump where the a/c goes while the engine was out of the car.

Working underneath it trying to cram it somewhere is getting old. I am probably going to end up with EOH from an MR2 or something. Just something to think about.

Tecni
Car: 2003 Turbo G35 coupe

you're actually looking at the subrame in the pics. Its bolted up to the motor mounts. I'm worried about the p/s pump hitting the frame rails tho...
T45 wrote:Are you going to run a/c? I have never seen the subframe of a G35 but if the sway bar lines up like the 300zx and 240's then the ps pump will be an issue. If I could have done one thing it would have been to make some alternate mounting source for the p/s pump where the a/c goes while the engine was out of the car.

Working underneath it trying to cram it somewhere is getting old. I am probably going to end up with EOH from an MR2 or something. Just something to think about.

darinz
Car: Nissan Patrol

Tecni wrote:Couldn't you bleed it through one of the temp sensors?
Not really due to having 2 alternators mounted on the top of the motor. Also due to having to pull the radiator out after every competition to clean the mud out of it, I need to be able to refill with coolant easy. I'll fit another cap on the return hose and see what happens from there. I like having things easy.

Tecni

2 alternators? Mud? ...yeah I won't have that problem LOL
darinz wrote:
Not really due to having 2 alternators mounted on the top of the motor. Also due to having to pull the radiator out after every competition to clean the mud out of it, I need to be able to refill with coolant easy. I'll fit another cap on the return hose and see what happens from there. I like having things easy.

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

Tecni wrote:you're actually looking at the subrame in the pics. Its bolted up to the motor mounts. I'm worried about the p/s pump hitting the frame rails tho...
If your frame rails are completely vertical, straight and smooth then the ps pump will clear. If it doesn't then the exh mani's/valve covers won't clear either. It should fit. If you want I can measure the 300zx frame rails for you, I have about 2 RCH's give on each side. (1/4")

Tecni

yeah its straight and vertical.
T45 wrote:
If your frame rails are completely vertical, straight and smooth then the ps pump will clear. If it doesn't then the exh mani's/valve covers won't clear either. It should fit. If you want I can measure the 300zx frame rails for you, I have about 2 RCH's give on each side. (1/4")

Tecni

ok ok!! here are some new ones.

So far I got the v-bands all welded up, turbo manifolds bolted down, replaced the rotten p/s line for a silicone one, and some extra bling (p/s pulley, p/s belt guard, and crank pulley chromed).

Robstar

I'm dying to see this work of art in motion and how it performs! Great work Tecni, an inspiration to many.

David Steele
Car: S13 FastBacK

Tecni wrote:ok ok!! here are some new ones.
Slow

Tecni

Marking the holes and getting ready to drill out the intake manifold.

Tecni

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

How hard is it going to be to bolt/unbolt the new intake manifolds on and off the heads?

Tecni

Excellent question!

Well, I'm tinkering with two options. Either put a coupler on each runner or just weld it all into a solid piece and make the 12mm bolts accessible with a 3/8 inch elbow and 12mm socket.
Mettler wrote:How hard is it going to be to bolt/unbolt the new intake manifolds on and off the heads?

Mettler

Haha, when designing something like a manifold or whatever, I always take into account the ease of accessing the bolts etc. Obviously it shouldn't be too much of a mission for you if you can just use a 3/8" universal joint, so I believe you should weld them solid rather than use a coupling method.

If you were to couple the plenums to the lower runners, you'd just run the risk of having a whole lot more places for potential boost leaks.

Tecni

Check out my new baby!

offroadbob
Car: 96 240sx, 84 720 4x4

I just found this thread... All i can say is I am jealous. too bad you arn't closer to az I would see if you could sell me one of those spare blocks you have just chilling there for fabing the vh into my truck. Oh and congrats on the bandsaw!

Mettler

offroadbob wrote:if you could sell me one of those spare blocks you have just chilling there for fabing the vh into my truck.
They look like VK blocks to me, look at the cross webbing between cylinder banks.

WizardBlack
Car: 1977 Datsun 280Z w/ RB25DET

Those are definitely VH. There's a third one fully assembled as well...Looks sweet! I'd go with fully welded manifolds as well. Much easier and it isn't that hard to unbolt them later. Any thoughts on flanging a crossover pipe into it? Maybe across the back?

Lifted79CJ7
Car: 91 Q45

Nice work! Three questions - is that the 10" bandsaw and how do you like it? Also, what welder are you using?Killer fab work!Jack

Tecni

a) I have quite a few VK's and only a handfull of Vh's.

b) I will definitely equilize the plenums. Not sure where yet but I will be cuttng a slant on the back to accelerate the air and I have some end caps that will cover the that. Perhaps I'll do the connection bach there, if not, then right in the middle with a 1.5" pipe or something. Still brainstorming at this point.

c) Its a 10" bandsaw. I love it! I was worried about it not being able to cut aluminum but it slices through it like a hot knife through butter. Only thing I don't like too much is the small size of the table.

Tecni

Runners welded to the manifold and tacked onto the intake flanges. The injector bungs are getting welded next.

Guishnu
Car: Nissan 200sx S13
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Not meaning to be controversial or anything. But those exhaust manifolds are a total waste of time even fitting. A house in a windtunnel would have better airflow. The rest looks good, but jesus - that's just silly.

Please don't think im trying to cause offense because im not, but the rest of the build looks grand and your exhaust manifolds look like you got stoned and couldn't be bothered, nicked some scaffel poles off your mates house and made an exhaust manifold.

Do it once, do it right

Mettler

Nice work tecni... how far down do the injectors stick into those bungs? They look pretty tall!
WizardBlack wrote:Those are definitely VH. There's a third one fully assembled as well...
Hahah no way m8, they are absolutely, without a single shred of a doubt, VK blocks.

Tecni

I was just testing angles on the injector bungs. I will be reducing the length quite a bit.
Mettler wrote:Nice work tecni... how far down do the injectors stick into those bungs? They look pretty tall!

Hahah no way m8, they are absolutely, without a single shred of a doubt, VK blocks.

Tecni

I dont have $2400 just laying around for nice manifolds. If you do, feel free to donate.
Guishnu wrote:Not meaning to be controversial or anything. But those exhaust manifolds are a total waste of time even fitting. A house in a windtunnel would have better airflow. The rest looks good, but jesus - that's just silly.

Please don't think im trying to cause offense because im not, but the rest of the build looks grand and your exhaust manifolds look like you got stoned and couldn't be bothered, nicked some scaffel poles off your mates house and made an exhaust manifold.

Do it once, do it right

David Steele
Car: S13 FastBacK

Guishnu wrote:Not meaning to be controversial or anything. But those exhaust manifolds are a total waste of time even fitting. A house in a windtunnel would have better airflow. The rest looks good, but jesus - that's just silly.

Do it once, do it right
I'm pretty sure tecni isn't going to keep those.

Tecni

Guishnu
Car: Nissan 200sx S13
Nissan R34 4 door
Nissan Patrol Y61

Tecni wrote:I dont have $2400 just laying around for nice manifolds. If you do, feel free to donate.
Uhuh,But you seem pretty handy with the tig there mate. Why not just make some? Making exhaust manifolds isn't THAT difficult - just buy in the bends and a collecter and tig them all together. Okay it's not "simple" but you have done a lot of great fabrication on this engine and i don't understand why you wouldn't put the effort in to bung two headers together. If you bought in the pipe, it shouldn't take you more than a day's work.

Anyhoo, what do i know.

Tecni

because even though I can pretty much fabricate anything, I don't do the Tiging. I have someone else weld the stuff for me and its really hard to get him to commit to a good day's worth of welding. I needed something fast and affordable at the time. I agree its not the ideal design nor will it flow efficiently but I'm comfortable it will do the job while I stabilize my finances after the build.

I've been getting all the necessary tools to make all my one-off parts and my next step will be a Miller Tig so I can work nonstop.
Guishnu wrote:Uhuh,But you seem pretty handy with the tig there mate. Why not just make some? Making exhaust manifolds isn't THAT difficult - just buy in the bends and a collecter and tig them all together. Okay it's not "simple" but you have done a lot of great fabrication on this engine and i don't understand why you wouldn't put the effort in to bung two headers together. If you bought in the pipe, it shouldn't take you more than a day's work.

Anyhoo, what do i know.

Coolwhip
Vendor
Car: RB26 Raw Brokerage War Machine

I'm in love, just found the thread and read through the whole thing. And your in Orlando? Damn I swear I have been inside too long, need to get out some more.

Nice work man, top notch.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”