vibration in the steering

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

Now I've been through this before. Normally the problem is the rotors/brake pads and machining or replacing fixes this problem. I have done this just recently, but now after going on 3 months with this...I think I have another problem.

I have vibration in the steering wheel between 45- 75 mph. It will stop if I take my foot of the gas or put in the clutch. I have some vibration while I'm using the brakes, but its minor compared to while regular driving. I'm a little puzzled over this... Do I have a suspension problem here or is it something to do with the drive shaft?... or is it something I haven't even considered ? HELP! I'm sick of this vibrating mess with my car.

drjohn

You may have two different problems.The 45-75 sounds like a balance or tire problem.This should not change with letting off the fuel or pushing in the clutch.If the car makes a drowning type noise on acceleration it's quite possible you may have a bad center support bearing or u-joint bad in the driveshaft.The vibration in the steering could be amplified by loose tie rod ends or loose steering rack or rack bushings. Might be good to try a frt. end shop you can trust.

av8mech240sx
Car: Flyin', Fixin' and Drivin'

see, I thought at first it was just a balance/tire problem too, but I've done that and it had no affect. I'm thinking its the U joint. Guess I'll have to take it in and have an inspection done on the suspension to see if I can locate the problem. Thanks.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”