Vibration in the engine during when accellerating

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
indesign99
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

While I was waiting for my transmission to be changed, I mentioned to my service department that I was noticing a vibration or shimmy in the engine while accellerating, most obvious from 30 - 45 mph. They felt it was related to the transmission problems.

Now that my transmission has been changed the problem is still there however I was less than happy to hear that they feel it isn't a problem, that all Rogues have a vibration, even the new ones on the lot. The service tech had the nerve to state that I shouldn't be surprised because I had 6000 miles on the vehicle.

I don't care if I have 200, 6000, or 12,000 - I know enough about cars to know that the car should be shaking/vibratin when the engine is under stress.

I live in a rural hilly area and when I accellerate up the hills it is most obvious. Has anyone else noticed this problem and if so, any answers?

NismoPhan
Car: ???? Nissan Rogue S AWD

I've had my Rogue for about a week now and I've noticed a vibration when the engine's got a little load on it. I really notice it when I'm at about 1500-1700 rpm, it's there whenever I put moderate stress on it. I was thinkin' it might be "normal" but then again not sure what to think with CVT.

philipa_240sx

This is normal. The CVT operates in a different manner than most automatics. The CVT tries to stay in overdrive (highest gear) most of the time to improve fuel economy. However this results in a bit more vibration than you would expect, esp when gently accelerating. If it's really bothersome and you have the paddle shifters, you can try gearing down to eliminate it.

Honestly, I don't find it an issue. I used to drive my '03 Altima 5spd MT the same way... in the highest gear possible and I got the same vibration.

There was a thread regarding this vibration in The Official Rogue FAQ sticky at the top of the forum. Here is the direct link:

zerothread/295532

duckhunter08
Car: 2008 Silver Ice Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hello all, I just got my rogue a few weeks ago and after driving an 03 honda civic 5 speed for 3 years, i really don't notice the vibration much. However i do notice it once in a while, when my Bose system is not blasting! LOL

NismoPhan
Car: ???? Nissan Rogue S AWD

Thanks for the link philipa... what would we do without a moderator like you?

LittleRed510
Car: 2009 Rogue

Hi All,Just joined but should perhaps have checked here first before buying. I too noticed the vibration at certain speeds. The Rogue S I bought last week has 150 miles on it now but I noticed the vibration when it had 46 miles. Called my dealer and he said to run it in. Did that, head Technician came out and drove my car and then we drove another Rogue. Same deal. Vibration in my car comes on when slowly accelerating up towards 28 mph and cuts out at around 32 to 34 mph. This is the speed I run around town so it really will be a pain because I'm conscious of it now. The left side of the steering wheel vibrates slightly. Not the right, the left only. If you accelerate through this range faster, then you don't feel the vibration. Ridiculous. The Tech said to remind him when I bring it in for its first service and in the meantime he will check Nissan to see if they have any advisories on it. After reading some of these posts, it would surprise me if Nissan isn't aware of it, and why isn't the Tech? Mine is a real narrow range, @28-34 mph at "reasonable" acceleration. Nice to know I'm not alone (or nuts...) but I wish I had encountered this before buying the car.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Nissan is aware of it, as Philipa stated, it is the way Nissan designed on purpose. The reason for it is the tranny selects a very high gear ratio to save fuel, like in a manual transmission when you upshift to say 5th gear around town and slightly lug the motor, however the Nissan 2.5 engine is suited to the higher gear ratios, and if excess load is encountered it quickly gears down and that is when the vibration goes away.

Most owners haven't even noticed this, and the rest have gotten used to it and like me, even appreciate it because it is one of the reasons the Rogue gets such great gas mileage. Slight vibration = excellent around town fuel efficiency. There is an extensive thread on this already if you want to review what others think of this.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

If the vibration bothers you and you have paddle shifters, just down shift and it will go away, but you'll be sacrificing fuel efficiency.

LittleRed510
Car: 2009 Rogue

Thanks! Makes sense. I'm sure I'll get used to it too. I just didn't want it to be some harmonic vibration in the engine that indicated something bad was about to happen. I like the car. Lots of room and comfortable. I haven't had it long enough for gas mileage check but I'm hoping it proves to be close to what they claim.

Roguemeister

I have just been driving my Rogue since the first of November (its my winter vehicle). I have 2600 km on it and I too notice a slight vibration at about 1500 rpm. It doesn't bother me now knowing that it is common and since I have the paddle shifters I will trying knocking it down a gear and see if that improves the situation.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

I notice the vibration around 20 mph. At first, i thought the tires were not balance. But i guess it is normal.

Return to “Rogue Forum”