Vibration at 50mph

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
mtyler7807
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45 Base Model

Car: 2002 q45
It did this before the rim upgrade. Now it does it less, I do believe I need a drive shaft. I have looked at the service manual and see the strategy to take off and cant find one video of anyone taking it off on youtube before I put it up on some blocks and go up under it.
Question, is it a hard job. I got the tools. But I just hate paying someone to work on my car, it helps me to learn. I can do a 1 part shaft but I have never done a two part shaft.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Beautiful car! :yesnod

I know noting about replacing driveshafts tho :gotme

mtyler7807

PalmerWMD wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:42 pm
Beautiful car! :yesnod

I know noting about replacing driveshafts tho :gotme
Thanks, I found a few used ones on ebay for 150 each, low milelage. Need to get some info on buying a used one. 600-700 dollars for a new one. If I can get the shaft off with out dropping the exhaust that would be good.

dorkside
Car: 2002 Q45

WOW! very nice.

I'm a bit challenged at posting pictures on this forum. How do you include pictures? I'll try to search to find instructions.

Thanks

mtyler7807

dorkside wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:13 pm
WOW! very nice.

I'm a bit challenged at posting pictures on this forum. How do you include pictures? I'll try to search to find instructions.

Thanks
Imgbb.com is a good site to store photos.

Upload your images there and code the bbcode under the picture and paste it in to the body of your post and you are done. Bbcode looks like [img]http://anything.ans[\img]. That back is a forward slash. It would bring up a error if I typed the correct format

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

It's rare to have out of balance drive shaft, unless it was in an accident. Have you taken it in for a 4 wheel alignment? Have them check thoroughly the suspension. I had a similar problem in my M45, and it was the tie rod ends. Even a bad shock or strut can cause it. I'm not saying it can't be the driveshaft, just that it isn't likely.

mtyler7807

cbird805 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:43 pm
It's rare to have out of balance drive shaft, unless it was in an accident. Have you taken it in for a 4 wheel alignment? Have them check thoroughly the suspension. I had a similar problem in my M45, and it was the tie rod ends. Even a bad shock or strut can cause it. I'm not saying it can't be the driveshaft, just that it isn't likely.
I hope so. I got inner and outer tie rods, just never out them on. I can give it shot tomorrow while it warm. I had read so much about the bearing in middle , the rubber going bad.

mtyler7807

cbird805 wrote:
Replaced all the calipers today. The vibration is gone. I drove the car at night alot and today was a nice day and drove early and felt the rear right rim and it was hot because I saw smoke coming from the rim. Stuck caliper. We got a foreign parts store in va thats cheap, got all 4 for $200 cash no tax, no returns though. Rides perfect now. I might give her some new front struts.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

mtyler7807 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:00 pm
cbird805 wrote:
Replaced all the calipers today. The vibration is gone. I drove the car at night alot and today was a nice day and drove early and felt the rear right rim and it was hot because I saw smoke coming from the rim. Stuck caliper. We got a foreign parts store in va thats cheap, got all 4 for $200 cash no tax, no returns though. Rides perfect now. I might give her some new front struts.
Good thing you didnt replace the driveshaft!! :poke:

mtyler7807

PalmerWMD wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm
mtyler7807 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Good thing you didnt replace the driveshaft!! :poke:
And I also replaced the two rear brake lines.

That shaft would have been a hard job. And I am starting to get lazy now.

98_Q45

My front calipers were supposedly bad. Had those replaced. First time ever having to replace those.

mtyler7807

98_Q45 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:26 am
My front calipers were supposedly bad. Had those replaced. First time ever having to replace those.
I still need a line up. pulls a little to the left with a little shimmer at 50mph. There is something magic about that 50mph dealing with vibrations.
I had a good day at the junk yard though, snatch a whole lot of extra parts off of a 05 premium. I got the fog light bezels, im going to try to dremel them to fit in those bumper holes on my non premium. I got the plastic piece that covers the battery and fuse box. and a sport suspension switch, Ill just put it in there and use it for the fog lights with a relay.

98_Q45

Be careful throwing too many parts at it. I had the same issue in my 97 Maxima years ago. Vibrating on brand new tires and on specific type of grooved roads. Turns out it was tire balancing issues mainly. Some of these mom and pop shops don't have the best high speed balance machines.

However, it seemed to also be caused by motor mounts as well, because it almost broke down on a road trip it was so badly vibrating. That helped for a little while but then it came back few months later.

But then anther shop diagnosed it as rack and pinion. But ultimately the bad balance caused the worn rack to vibrate excessively. When you combine all 3 together, it can be hard to single any one out.

mtyler7807

98_Q45 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:45 pm
Be careful throwing too many parts at it. I had the same issue in my 97 Maxima years ago. Vibrating on brand new tires and on specific type of grooved roads. Turns out it was tire balancing issues mainly. Some of these mom and pop shops don't have the best high speed balance machines.

However, it seemed to also be caused by motor mounts as well, because it almost broke down on a road trip it was so badly vibrating. That helped for a little while but then it came back few months later.

But then anther shop diagnosed it as rack and pinion. But ultimately the bad balance caused the worn rack to vibrate excessively. When you combine all 3 together, it can be hard to single any one out.
The vibration has been gone and is still been gone. But I think I still need to bleed one brake line because I have irregular pad wear on the rear.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

mtyler7807 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:27 pm

The vibration has been gone and is still been gone. But I think I still need to bleed one brake line because I have irregular pad wear on the rear.
Did your rebuilt calipers come with the anchor plates (the part that goes between the caliper and the bearing housing mount)? Did you clean and lube the caliper pins? Could be air, but uneven wear is often from a sticky caliper piston, or back to your original issue with hot corner and smoke--could be from caliper pins that bind. Also, at least on G50 and FGY33 (not sure on F50), the Rear caliper pins at both locations are top/bottom (or left/right as you prefer) specific. This was for vibration mitigation. If they are backward, could cause unintended uneven clamping force.

mtyler7807

3Q Jay wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:48 am
mtyler7807 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Did your rebuilt calipers come with the anchor plates (the part that goes between the caliper and the bearing housing mount)? Did you clean and lube the caliper pins? Could be air, but uneven wear is often from a sticky caliper piston, or back to your original issue with hot corner and smoke--could be from caliper pins that bind. Also, at least on G50 and FGY33 (not sure on F50), the Rear caliper pins at both locations are top/bottom (or left/right as you prefer) specific. This was for vibration mitigation. If they are backward, could cause unintended uneven clamping force.
I going to put it up on the rack now.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”