Vibrating 240sx?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
skydragoness
Car: 03' 350z Touring 6spd
92' 240sx 60k survivor :)

I noticed on my way to work this morning that when my car is idling at a light, it sounds shaky, either the engine or the exhaust, i can't tell. It's not the kind of sound you hear when the engine doesn't have enough power, i.e. choke off. But it's not warbling like usual. What could it be? I think it maybe exhaust-related, but it's hard to tell. Any help?:confused:

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

My car was idling wierd also, a quick disassembly and cleaning of the M. A. F. helped my car tremendously!I hope it's something as 'simple' as that.For exhaust problems I'll usually allow a trusted Exhaust Center to check-out any unusual sounds. When you get the car up on a lift you can see that the under-side of your car is, shall we say, a whole other world. But, on the lift it's easy to spot otherwise 'mysterious' troubles. Hope this helps.:xfingers

skydragoness

pardon my ignorance, but what does m.a. f. stand for?

I H8 UR DSM

mass air flow...sensor. At the end of the intake pipe, before the filter.

jesse

skydragoness

i will be getting an injen short ram soon, good time to clean the maf, how would you go about doing that?

juazam_186
Car: Cars & Computers

Sky,There was a thread on this subject on the 'old' forum.It contained explicit instructions on cleaning and chemicals that were safe to use.As soon as I can get to my Chilton's Manual, I'll try to post detailed instructions.:peace :thumbup

drjohn

If the egr valve hangs open at idle it will cause a wierd or rough idle also.

bboybuya

My car does that too. Sounds like I have a carbuerator! I thought it might the air fuel mixture and I got hooked up with an A'pexi S-AFC 2nd gen model, haven't installed it yet but will post reply if it takes care of the idle shake prob.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”