VH45DE mega underpowered

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
simey_binker
Car: Datsun 240z with VH45DE

Hello all,

I've had a VH45DE swap in my 240z for several years now (mated to a Z32 manual transmission), and it currently has maaaaybe 40 hp. can barely get to highway speeds. It has low torque through the whole RPM range. Seems to be fine to get up to higher RPM - just takes forever to get there.

I've done a TCS, EGR, various emissions delete. everything else critical for engine operation (including idle control) should still be hooked up. I've removed and inspected all vac hoses around the intake. my MAF is currently open - no filter - not sure if not having an airbox/filter doesn't give the sliiiight amount of negative pressure the fuel damper requires? I seem to remember this engine putting down more power years back though with the same set up. I've removed the timing chain cover to check to see if the guides had grenaded and skipped a tooth - they seem fine.

My next step is to go over the fuel system; check pressure, swap filter etc. My concern is that some wire has pulled or broke and the ECU is putting me into some artificial limp mode by pulling timing on spark. Is there a way of diagnosing this easier than going through every single wire? It's been a bit, but I seem to remember a piggyback system that you guys were singing the praises of - would it show if one of my sensors was disconnected?

thanks,
Sim

Yellow4g63
Car: 95 RB20 240, 91 NX2000 VE power, 95 Stock 240sx

wire in a consult port and buy the nissan data scan software and consult cable. You can check the codes on the ecu and see what the sensors are doing.

gsracer

Id venture to bet your knock sensors are toast.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”