VH45 timing chains. Need guidance before I kill myself.

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
white90esex
Car: 90 240sx
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

My vh leaked oil out of every place it could so I just got done going through and fixing it all, in the process found the guides were toast as well as several other things so I did it all.

Was hand turning my crank to get the torque converter bolted on when I heard this odd sound. So I decided I need to pull the right valve cover off to see what it is. The sound was the chain slapping the upper guide. Then I realize, that the marks on my cams are no longer aligned with my chains.

So. The FSM shows a chain stopper at the bottom of the lower cover that Im assuming doesnt allow the chain to jump a tooth on the crank sprocket? If so then it should be easy to re align everything. But then comes another question of the tensioner. It obviously uses oil pressure to help tension the chain. When I installed the new tensioner it definitely didn't feel like it was putting enough force on the chain to keep it in place. Anyone have this issue before? If so what was your solution?

I literally had the ENTIRE thing back together and sealed up. I was about to mate the trans so I can finally get this car on the road. Ive driven it a total of 60 miles in the 2 years Ive owned it. Headache after headache.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

and with all the searching ive done it seems like everyone gets a s*** ton of chain slap when they first install new tensioners, my slap lead to chain jumping several teeth.

Any input?

ca18det_boy

With mine it felt loose for the first couple hand turns, but after that everything smoothed out. If you're positive that you had the marks lined up then I would rotoate it by hand 3-5 times and see if she smoothes out. From my experience with nissan timing chains, I've always installed them and then with the timing covers off rotate it a couple times to make sure that the chain didn't skip a tooth. Its a PITA but I would rather do it once instead of second guessing myself and pulling the covers off again.

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

I would rather do things once as well. Idk where I went wrong cause I hand spun with covers off. Everything looked good. Sealed it up and at that point s*** hit the fan. If the chain can't skip the crank sprocket I shoudnt have to do too much. That's only IF.

ca18det_boy

Sounds like your skeptical, which unfortunately means that the covers are coming off I take it?

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

I am skeptical. I wish someone could give me a definite answer about weather or not the chain can jump a toof on the crank.

Q-ZILLA
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45t
Rear Mount Turbo

R.S. Enthalpy Tuned on
Dynojet-5000lb roller
453hp/453lbft

2008 Nissan Armada
2009 G37 Convertible - SOLD
2004 Cad. Escalade POS - RIP

Wish I had the answer and I hope it has worked out for you, but I have to admit, I busted out laughing at the title of your post. Been there, done that...

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Well I've been cranking on it in the little time I have. Finally got everything buttoned up and this s*** happens. Got a kid on the way, not to mention winter. So ya, I'mpretty worn out on this project. Oh, and once it is up and running I still have to lift the car back up and switch wheels and tires so I can go try my hand at the emissions... Fml

white90esex
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Alright.... FIIIINNNAAALLLLLLLLY got the time to pull this s*** apart. Crank sprockets are lined up nice. The cover does have a casting in it that makes it fairly difficult for the chain to jump a tooth on the crank. Future reference I think if something like this happens again I shouldn't have to undo all my hard work.

Need to align cams... again. and hopefully get this s*** back together for good.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”