VH45 T ring land failure

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
darinz
Car: Nissan Patrol

Hi. I haven't been around here for quite a long time and it looks like it has gotten quite quiet.
Anyway I've had a motor fail recently and it has a broken ring and ringland damage on number 3 piston.
I then pulled down the previous motor I killed (during to a turbo failure) and found that it has the exact same damage on number 3 as well.
I know that many years ago when i ran a big end we found that #6 big end was prone to failure so just wondering if anyone else has had issues with #3 rings, detonation, ringland etc etc.

We suspect mines been causes by an injector issue but waiting for test results to confirm that.

ca18det_boy

2 VH's here. One bone stock and the other I've done a complete rebuild on. Everything looked good on tear down with 200k+. I haven't had any issues with either motor thus far FWIW.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You can always look at possible block cooling issues there as well as intake manifold runner design for that cylinder. Detonation it sounds like. Possible fuel distribution issues. You can always do something wonky like a one range colder plug in that one cylinder.

http://www.q45.org/vhpower/info.shtml

Could be your tune...............read about the stock compression and boost blowing some of them up.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”