VH45 Cylinder Wash?

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
RustyBucket
Car: '94 Infiniti Q45

I went to start up my '94 Q45 this evening and it started, then immediately stumbled and died. Now, when cranking, I can hear the starter turning, but it sounds like it is turning freely and the engine is not catching. It looks like I am probably suffering from cylinder wash since it sounds like the engine is not getting compression, except for intermittent moments. The other reason I came to this conclusion is that the car was running for only a few minutes this afternoon before being shut down.

I tried putting the pdeal down while cranking before realizing that I maybe should be having the pedal to the floor before cranking. I tried it with the pedal down first and it looks like I may have used up the last of my battery. Some old habits from driving a carbed car don't transfer over to fuel injected very well :facepalm:

To make matters even worse, there may be a problem with the ECU knowing that the throttle is all the way open. I was running the A/T check procedure in the manual last Thursday and it wasn't giving me any codes, which according to the FSM means that either the 1 position switch, the inhibitor switch, the kickdown switch or the throttle closed switch are bad. I know for a fact that the 1 position switch and the inhibitor switches work since I can downshift while driving.

So, NICO, if you had a Q45 that is likely suffering from cylinder wash with a nearly dead battery and a questionable TPS, what would you do? (other than find someone to give you a boost, that is :poke: )

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Get a new battery, or charge yours overnight... hold it pedal to the metal, and go for it.

Keep in mind that the A/T codes won't show if the transmission isn't hot - so you have to check them right after you shut the car down after a drive. Anything else will get you the same result you described...

Heath

RustyBucket
Car: '94 Infiniti Q45

I tried it again this morning and the battery recovered enough for it to turn over and it fired up with the pedal to the floor. I love the sound it makes on start with the pedal down when you don't have a suitcase muffler :gapteeth: . It definitely ran rich for a couple minutes.

As far as the A/T check goes, I checked it right after I got home from work so the transmission was definitely warm. I'll have a poke around with my multimeter and the FSM this afternoon if the rain holds off.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”