VH41DE + ITBs Swap into s14

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
budgetbeast
Car: 1995 240SX

I have been working on this for about 8 months.... don't want to make this too lengthy:
1995 240SX
VH41DE
KA24DE 5spd trans
Megasquirt
x2 2001 ZX12 42MM ITBs

More details below

After I towed it back to the house. My buddy put this car back together, sold it to me, and then the timing went out(didn't even pull it apart to find out)

budgetbeast

$600 Donor Car, Ran great, Had reverse, Forward gears slipped
(got hit in back too)
almost made me sad to take this car apart... almost
(This motor had soooo much crap on it)

I am actually a lot further along than this(motor is sitting in the car) more to come(I got to crash)

budgetbeast

This beast would lay rubber in reverse(the only gear that worked)... R200 VLSD included!
looks clean
Tearing it down
cleaned up

I decided to do a topend refresh. I was slightly concerned when I got the Q since some vapor was emiting from the tailpipe under heavy throttle.
After buying the gasket kit and new headbolts, and then later tearing the motor down, I discovered the motor was replaced once in the 240K+ car I pulled it from.

what a PITA to time...
The inside chains from the heads to crank have two marked teeth per chain.... THOSE TEETH ARE NOT EVENLY SPACED. I had to retime it once, so be aware
Its a little redneck, but it always gives me peace of mind seeing that piston at TDC before putting everything back together

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Watching closely

budgetbeast

I am quite pleased with the Collins adapter kit(minus one bolt not lining up and the shoddy welds on the release bearing). I like the fact there are so many trans options. Hell I have two manual trans, if one goes I've got a spare. Why source when there is no need??
Ordered a used stock VQ30DE Flywheel on ebay(50 bucks). Luck of the draw and it has a clutch and pressure plate bolted to it with what had to be no more than 1000 miles. -Must of just had a clutch job before the car went to the junk yard. I was going to order a new clutch and pressure plate, but why waste perfectly good parts?
("like new" vq30 clutch on the KA trans)
(21lbs)

I had to remove the trigger ring FYI. will not work with this adapter.
So, here is my adaptation in succession:

KA24DE Pilot bearing(pressed 3/4 the way in. after slidehammering out the VH41 auto bearing) AutoZone's adapter broke on the first very light hit. so we fixed that:
And our final product...
VQ30 Flywheel, bolted down with VG30DETT Nissan bolts(where actually a little long, used locktite and grade 10.9 Lockwashers for a slight shim)
Starter lines up perfect BTW. just had to notch the trans slightly
looks like I will be using the stock mounts... just make a adapter plate, only 1.5 inches off after pushing the motor and trans back about two inches. Oil pan sits perfect in between the sway bar and crossmember.

Next to come, Powered coated valve covers, ZX12 ITB's, and

budgetbeast

Also, I ordered Headers from Stoker Performance "track and trek". Seemed like a decent price. I had some flanges that were water jetted and ready to go, but I really think 500$ bucks is going to be worth the time I would have spent fabing those up.

budgetbeast

Bad Idea to order from Zach.. I am waiting on a paypal dispute, supposed to have motor mounts and headers(headers last month). he keeps not answering and giving me the run around. I hope that he can get me the products so I could just drop this claim. Its a shame not being able to trust people. anyone know about this guy?

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

No, some other users have complained, but not much info

budgetbeast

Ok,So progress had been slowed down quite a bit, waiting on Zach Stoker was a mistake. Once PayPal refunded me, I ordered headers from Mazworx, they came in 3 days later. very pleased, just over looked a small problem...
If Mazworx had just left a little more material on these flanges. I am grinding out a little over a half circle, followed by a dremel. I am planning to use grade 8 flanged nuts(not removing the OE studs), should be enough surface area to hold them down fine.

I am starting to set up the motor for Megasquirt, here is my 50MM CAS adapter trigger wheel. I hope to save some time and frustration going this route. It is suggested that you use an actual crank trigger wheel for a little more accurate timing(timing chain stretch, sync variances between cam and crank). At this point, I want to get it running, I can always set one up later.

budgetbeast

Here is the mod I did on the headers to allow them to fit. It should be enough area to seal...
-A stone grinder for a Dremel is almost exactly an M10, for decent finishing.

I also drilled my R200 VLSD which came out of the Q45. I am going to eventually pick up an aluminum s13 one piece, I just didn't want to drill it after I installed it..
BTW(that is a hard body nissan shaft I used for reference, same bolt pattern)

Power steering turned out to be cake...
I was able to use all stock lines PS lines. I think the one I ended up using for pressure was off of the q45... I've got quite a few parts in my bin.
The KA pump nearly identical to the VH41 pump, the KA snout is longer, and the pressure fitting is oriented differently. I swapped that fitting onto the VH pump, and ran the pressure line under the oil pan. I cut the return line on the chassis on the passenger side(I hope it doesn't reduce too much volume).
(KA pump, VH41 pressure fitting)
(VH Pump installed with KA fitting, angled it back so that it would reach the line, and orient the "tit" correctly)

and here are some pictures of the headers installed...
So not a great pic, but you can see the kind of clearance I am working with, I may have a 1/4 inch total between the steering column, LH header, and the starter. I hate it, but I have decided to run solid mounts due to the tight tolerances. I don't want to be driving down the road and the column start to rub something. I am in the process of ordering xcessive mounts(I don't trust myself when its this tight, and I don't have a lift)

budgetbeast

Also, can someone tell me what this is...
A yellow couragated wire runs from it directly along under the center console, then up under the dash. airbag??

budgetbeast

Here are the ITB parts in the early stages..

The way these are going to work.... the body itself will sit down into the aluminum "cup" sealed with an O-ring:
I just ordered more 1.75 aluminum tube, the runners are going to come out of the hood... which I have a great idea on that(more later)
This is the lower plenum, milled and tigged thanks to a friend of mine at Billet Speed. I couldn't have done this without his help.

Here are some shots of the 2001 ZX12 bodies, they are individually cast. the only thing I wish was different, was that the linkage was in the middle. I am going to have to run these in the same direction. aesthetically not popular, but functional and inexpensive.

I've got mounts on the way from excessive manufacturing. Very good customer service, same day shipping. I just hope they will work with the VH41...

budgetbeast

Can someone please tell me the direction of cooling on this VH41. I have 3 heater hose outlets, one may have went to the original manifold. I need to know which one to block off. Thanks...

budgetbeast

Thanks for the help

for anyone in future reference, the above vertical tube is a PCV outlet - go figure. glad I ran across that in the FSM, it would have been terrible to pump coolant into the crankcase...

Nemesisr32
Car: R32 sedan

How's the build going

Tylercrooks
Car: 240sx hatch and vert

Exactly, how's this build going? Come back to the thread, I have questions and i know you've got answers, plus pictures won't load. I'm trying to see this s***.

budgetbeast

Hey fellas, I quit posting on here, frankly no one really seemed to care or pay attention. it would have been nice to just get some questions answered. I would at this point consider myself knowledgable of this platform. Let me know what you need and I will try to help. Here is the start up. Its now on the road and driving great at this point. I will try to get some in car shots...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmf0B_-KGgQ

Nemesisr32

Sounds like a beast, pity photos are not loading up

Nemesisr32

budgetbeast wrote:Here are the ITB parts in the early stages..

The way these are going to work.... the body itself will sit down into the aluminum "cup" sealed with an O-ring:
I just ordered more 1.75 aluminum tube, the runners are going to come out of the hood... which I have a great idea on that(more later)
This is the lower plenum, milled and tigged thanks to a friend of mine at Billet Speed. I couldn't have done this without his help.

Here are some shots of the 2001 ZX12 bodies, they are individually cast. the only thing I wish was different, was that the linkage was in the middle. I am going to have to run these in the same direction. aesthetically not popular, but functional and inexpensive.

I've got mounts on the way from excessive manufacturing. Very good customer service, same day shipping. I just hope they will work with the VH41...
Would have loved to have seen photos for this an where you sourced itb from

Nemesisr32

Just read your post properly an saw they were zx12 itb, did performace vh do the intake manifold that they sit on? Did u have to modify the throttle body's much for them to work? Also who did the linkages, sorry I'm unable to see photos

budgetbeast

Don't trust Facebook photos, it would be nice to go back and edit the photos, but I'm not an admin. here is some of the build

Free LSD, worked well in reverse, more on that later

I

budgetbeast

Harness tuck and engine bay clean up... this car was not that clean
Pain in the a**
Pressure washed
It was nice day to work outside...

budgetbeast

Nemesisr32

Thanks would be great to see more of itb set up

budgetbeast

I'm getting to the ITBS, I want to try to go in order here...
First test fit
Im only 5'9 so I actually like the shifter location. KA trans fits great

budgetbeast

Trans stuff... VQ30DE(95-01 same thing) flywheel
Buddies cleaning up the pistons, didn't mess with the bottom end, just wanted to make sure all was well
Here is a pic of the motor going in finally

Here is the ITB Stuff:
2000-2001 ZX12 ITB's individually cast... I bought some others before, and they were dual cast, no good for spacing
My buddy Matt at billet-speed.com machined the base plates. I had him plane the flange of the original garbage intake, and use it for a base:
The runners are still a bit short, I think my RPM range is 6500-9500 RPM, otherwise you loose a lot of torque(I currently need cams and springs, then I will spin it to 9000). It has no power over 6K as it sits... bottom end luxury car cams blow

budgetbeast

Budget power steering set up

The VH power steering is on the opposite side. I cut the line down(It seems to be fine, but did reduce volume slightly... I have 0$ in it so whatever)

VH Pump
Image Ran the Vh pressure line under the oil pan
Swapped fittings from the KA Pump, this way it angles back and the line magically lined up. this was just luck
I cut and flared the line, you can see in this pic for the return/low pressure

Nemesisr32

Appreciate the photos, I'm still soldiering on slowly with my r32, should pickup a bit of speed once the wife stops having kids.

accident94
Car: 1990 z32 with VH45DE swap

hey man! sorry to necro an old thread, but im trying something similar to this (hayabusa itb's on a vh45) at the momeont.
would love to know how it all went.
what injecors did you use, what ECU to control them, how did the adapters work out? how did you tune it? AlphaN (tps) or MAP.
would love to get in contact if possible

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”