vh swap in a J30

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
kbflip02
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30 and 2006 Infiniti G35x

curious on everyones input on this....as well as what might be needed to get it done...all input would be greatly appreciated...-K

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

FYI, I own both, and am going to do this to the J in a month or so. I have looked into it alot, and it wil fit a lot better then in the Z32

Do you want Auto or 5spd. Same as the build for a Z, but a little longer driveshaft, and if you want stick you have to swap the peddle assy, and brake booster with the Z unit, for fitment and such.

The engine bay is longer, and has more height longer forward, so the engine fits better in that way, and the crossmember is a much better piece to fit around, and make mounts to. Of course the rear is a needed swap, will not handle the torque for long. But same as a Z32 in almost everyway. Good luck

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

The rear in the J30 is the same as the rear in the Z32NA, except for the 3.96 ratio in the J versus the 4.08 ratio in the Z. A "Strength" upgrade in the J would be a Q45 setup, but the ratio might counter performance a bit.

thejapino
Car: '93 J30t

kbflip02 wrote:curious on everyones input on this....as well as what might be needed to get it done...all input would be greatly appreciated...-K
Don't quote me on this but didn't some j30 (leopard j ferie) in Japan come with vh's?

thejapino

Found a website in enlish with more info (never seen an OEM lip? click it)

http://www.angelfire.com/or/kajap/index.html

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

Thats what he told me on the phone the other day too. But I have never heard of a J45? dont know what they called it if they did make it. I plan to make one soon, but have not seen a pic of one from the factory. If so, Probably only an automatic car.

kbflip02

craigztoyz wrote:Thats what he told me on the phone the other day too. But I have never heard of a J45? dont know what they called it if they did make it. I plan to make one soon, but have not seen a pic of one from the factory. If so, Probably only an automatic car.
its nearly impossible to find pics but it was called the nissan leopard J ferie type X and came with the VH41 and a 4 speed automatic transmission similar to the early model Q45s...it also did in fact come withe the front chin spoiler....if you check japanese websites you can find one unfortunately i dont speak japanese...you can download a language pack so i can translate to help too...

thejapino

The link I posted has info of the Leopard J Ferie. The Type-X model comes with a vh41 and looks like our J30's. The Type-L looks sportier and has the front lip, different front bumpers but has a vg30.

http://www.angelfire.com/or/kajap/index.html

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I bet the VH would be about as close to an OE engine swap in a J30 as it could possibly be.

Rex
Car: None

thejapino wrote:Don't quote me on this but didn't some j30 (leopard j ferie) in Japan come with vh's?
Yes, it was offered with a VH41DE ... I'll see if I can find some specs somewhere.

Rex
Car: None

Found the info

1993NISSAN LEOPARD JGBY32Engine: VH41DE (4130 cc, V8, 270 hp)Layout: Front / Rear

http://www.alljapanesecars.com...GBY32

NISSAN LEOPARD J.Ferie 4.1 Type X SPackage

Production time 93/06 - 96/02Chassis E-JGBY32Transmission (AT / MT / CVT) 4AT / -- / --Price, yen (AT / MT / CVT) 4,740,000 / -- / --Length / Width / Height (mm) 4880 x 1770 x 1390Wheel base (mm) 2760Track, front/rear (mm) N/AClearance (mm) 145Turning radius (m) 5.5Weight AT / MT / CVT (kg) 1650 / -- / --Doors 4Seating capacity 5Interior Length / Width / Height (mm) 1940 x 1460 x 1130Colors Gray, Dark blue, Green, Pearl, Platinum silver, Blue silver metallic, Green tea metallicEngine VH41DEEngine type Water cooled V-shaped 8-cylinder DOHCTurbo (Super) charger / VVT NoneBore / stroke (mm) N/AEngine displacement (cc) 4130Compression ratio N/AMaximum power AT / MT / CVT (ps/rpm) 270/6000 / --/-- / --/--Maximum torque AT / MT / CVT (kg-m/rpm) 37.8/4400 / --/-- / --/--Ecology equipment ObscureLayout (Engine / Drive) Front / RearFinal drive ratio N/AFront suspension Independent strut system with coil springsRear suspension Independent multilink system with coil springsFront brakes Ventilated diskRear brakes Ventilated diskTire size 215/60R15 94HFuel type High octane gasolineFuel tank capacity (liter) 80.0City mode economy AT / MT / CVT (km/l) 7.6 / -- / --60km/h economy AT / MT / CVT (km/l) 14.0 / -- / --

efeezie

I have a J30 and Im about to start on this exact swap this weekend.

I took a few measurements and half *** sat the VH in the J30. It appears as if it will bolt straight in just by rotating the VH mounts 90 degrees. The frame "might" have to be notched to clear the alternator but I'll know for sure this weekend

And the J30 rear diff will hold up just fine, I made 725whp through a good ole' r200 diff.

craigztoyz

Good to hear.

Im 6 hours south of you on 35, and have one of those builds giong on too. fits better then in the Z. Oil pan clears better too. Alt is close, but fits, just like the Z32, oil filter too, to get it really low, headers almost hit crossmember/mount area.

Cant wait to see some pics, craig

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

efeezie wrote:I have a J30 and Im about to start on this exact swap this weekend.

I took a few measurements and half *** sat the VH in the J30. It appears as if it will bolt straight in just by rotating the VH mounts 90 degrees. The frame "might" have to be notched to clear the alternator but I'll know for sure this weekend

And the J30 rear diff will hold up just fine, I made 725whp through a good ole' r200 diff.
Keep us updated my good man!!! If it bolts straight in that'd be awesome!!!!

Does anyone know if the RE4R01A torque converter mounts to the VH45 flexplate? If I did this swap Id probably try and not use the Q trans so I didnt have to deal with new driveshaft and stuff like that.. Also, keeping it automatic would help make it so you can work out engine problems easy.

Does the VH oil pan clear without issue? id think it would since the J30 VG was front sump too and had similar capacity.

Man a VH powered J30 would be awesome, it'd be like having a slightly smaller Q that weighs about 600lbs less.

Im also thinking that this swap would mean it would be a lot more equally weight balanced, quite a bit closer to 50/50.. stock they are 57/43, so knocking off 300lbs or so off the front end would be real nice!

J30s only weigh 3500lbs curb weight, so a 3200-3300lb 4 door sedan with an *ahem* interechangeable suspension wiht 240sx is really appealing!

kbflip02

elwesso wrote:
J30s only weigh 3500lbs curb weight, so a 3200-3300lb 4 door sedan with an *ahem* interechangeable suspension wiht 240sx is really appealing!
been searching for that thread about putting 240 suspension on a J but cant seem to find anything informative...just that people have done it but dont explain how you know...personally id only want to lower the J about an inch to an inch and a half all the way around.....also the J sits level as is so if you took 300lbs off the front i wonder if it would sit higher too...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I bet that the struts bolt on or you can use combinations of parts to make it work.. The only thing would be comparing the mounts and length to be sure that the 240SX stuff isnt shorter..

My guess is based on previous experience is that if theres not much info about it, its probably not a big issue. I bet you can get a cheap front and rear strut to test fit from someone who just upgraded their suspension.

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

A VH41 powered J-ferie sold on trademe here in NZ for something ridiculous like $3-4k NZD! No one wants these cars in NZ, and I have no idea why!

efeezie

OK got the motor dropped in and just as I thought it bolts straight in simply by rotating the mounts 90 degrees. However the motor sits about 2-3 inches too high. So it doesnt clear the hood very well. I'll probably make a custom set of mounts so the motor will sit a little lower.

The lower sway bar is also in the way so it will probably be tossed. Maybe a custom sway bar later. The AC compressor and PS pump hits it.

The oil pan has TONS of clearance which makes since because the VG pan is kinda bulky.

elwesso- I can check the torque converter fitment for you but Im guessing you would have to redrill the flexplate.

As far as 240 swapability the S14 suspension looks pretty close. I'll pull my S14 suspension out and check. I'll try and get some pics up as I move along.

kbflip02

that is by far the coolest thing ive heard all day

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

efeezie wrote:OK got the motor dropped in and just as I thought it bolts straight in simply by rotating the mounts 90 degrees. However the motor sits about 2-3 inches too high. So it doesnt clear the hood very well. I'll probably make a custom set of mounts so the motor will sit a little lower.

The lower sway bar is also in the way so it will probably be tossed. Maybe a custom sway bar later. The AC compressor and PS pump hits it.

The oil pan has TONS of clearance which makes since because the VG pan is kinda bulky.

elwesso- I can check the torque converter fitment for you but Im guessing you would have to redrill the flexplate.

As far as 240 swapability the S14 suspension looks pretty close. I'll pull my S14 suspension out and check. I'll try and get some pics up as I move along.
Were you using the stock ones with the cushy liquid filled mounts? Could you possibly use a hybrid between the J30 and Q45 mounts to get it to sit a little lower? Are you sure that the motor sits too high, or is it that the motor is too tall? It might be better to deal with hood clearance than to have the engine/trans sit goofy..

Could you also compare the VG flexplate to the VH, if theyre the same diameter then we shoudlnt have any issues.

can you post some pics on the sway bar? How close is it?

craigztoyz

I had the motor in a month ago, Swaybar issue is the exact same as the Z32, if you drop the bar an inch and a 1/2, all good.

Mounts- use ones with a shorter isolater- I have looked at a set from another engine, when I start this project in a month or so, I will give my info.

You'd like the motor to sit level, and in plane to the driveshaft/diff line.

There is no need to buldge or cut the hood. I got in under the Z32 hood, Guarantee you it fits under the J30 much better, as I have already tried.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Well looking at the setup I bet you could just hockey puck it since the VH brackets work and its close-ish? If you could find another nissan mount thats the same but shorter thatd be money too...

But at least new mounts sound very easy to make or obtain!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

let me ask another question, when you put the motor in did you put it in with the factory exhaust manifolds?

AlabamaDan
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70
1998 Infiniti QX4

I've always loved the J30, almost as much as the Q, and to have it with a VH45 is WOWOWOW! Pics please!

craigztoyz

elwesso wrote:let me ask another question, when you put the motor in did you put it in with the factory exhaust manifolds?
YUP!!

Fit a lot better then the Z32, I had to add recesses into the crossmember of the Z to get it low enough. The J has toatlly different crossmember and motor mount stands, so it clears GREAT. Hockey Puck, would do, but Will know in a month or so what other mounts fit the height/width/bolt spread.

As soon as my Z goes, I am aquiring a new VH45 to put in, and start its wiring, and getting a 5spd, pedals..... and all that. The Z pedal's would fit in a J----- Right? OOH I found a 95 Q45 in the only Salvage I use, with 105K on the clock. Should be my new motor, but he wants 750. I want to pay 500. So let the games begin.

efeezie

OK I made a mistake. The motor does clear the hood. I had a bolt underneath the hood hinges You can shut the hood but it still hits the bracing a little so I'll probably just space down the subframe 1/2". A shorter mount would still be ideal. Oh and Im using the Q45 mounts still. The VG mounts are basically the same. Im going for power and comfort so hockey pucks isnt a option for me.

The stock manifolds look like they will clear but Im going turbo so it doesnt matter to me.

The sway bar just might be OK, I'll know for sure once the tranny is in.

elwesso- The 1A converter would fit if you oblong the flexplate holes. With the power from the VH and the weight of J30 you might be pushing your luck.

This project is starting to excite me but I still gotta finish the race car

craigztoyz

you dont want to lower the subframe. Suspension, steering

All you need is to look at salvage, or the mounts.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

smitty- Can you check and see how different the VG30 and VH45 flexplates are? Really if I go through with this project I want to have that trans in there just to get the engine running good, then i'll either go 03A or 5speed. Can you use a hybrid between the VH and VG mounts?

Long story short, im lightly considering picking up a mint black/black J30 with a blown VG and 2 VH45s for under a grand...

if the factory mounts are this close, there has to be some insulator that works.. When i get home I'll look in the FAST and see if theres one that has a similar bolt setup, from there we just compare.. Im wondering if maybe the M30 has something we might like, or even like a 240sx... Im sure Craig will be the salvage yard king on figuring this out.. Still, its gonna be great when we piece this together from NISSAN!!! Hell, worst case we might be able to get the part number for the mounts from the J-Ferie type X. Joe at scottsdale said he can get parts if theyre JDM only if he's got a part number, so thats an option too!

Craig, Z pedals will probably work but they'll need to be modified. The fun part is going to be stripping the dash down to nothing to mount the clutch pedal (and to remove the e brake pedal).. when I mounted my clutch pedal in the Q it has to be modified so that it sits right. Mounts on the firewall right, it just needs to be bent so it sits next to the brake pedal OK. Dont use the Z brake pedal in the J, just hack up your auto brake pedal, trust me..

craigztoyz

Thanx Wes,

I'd pick up that deal.

A hybrid mount would be easy, especially if solid like what I did to mine, made them shorter too. I expect it will be a nissan mount that i find fits, but tring to find a part # for that mount from X, problem is though, that the VH41 is not as tall as the VH45, so there is still a height issue. When I measured the 2 motors in salvage, the mounting to top heights were different. Pedal help will be great in a month. I pull dashes A LOT to do my swaps, just part of it, very tiem consuming, tedious, and a P.I.T.A.My J is also a mint black/black, looks like it should of had this engine as an option when you set it in.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

itd be interesting to compare VH41 US to VH41 JDM. I bet the JDM VH41s are closer to the VH45s.

If you tell me what the mount came out of, i can get a part number..

I still stand by my statement that US VH41s are almost different enough to not be considered VH's.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”