VG33E to replace VG33ER Compatability

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Loganis
Car: 2002 Xterra SE SC

Hey Guys. So my 2002 Supercharged X has a bad motor. Spun a bearing and it smoking pretty bad too. I have started to look for a used VG33ER but is really hard to find a good one. So I figured it makes most sense to drop in a good and available VG33E motor. The question is what are the differences? I know the VG33E has higher compression but other than that will it bolt up? We won't need to worry about the ECU, Injectors, Pump, etc as it is already a SC. Just need a good block. My idea was to use a thicker head gasket to reduce compression (if one exists) or a custom larger pulley for the SC to decrease the boost? Has any one done this transplant before? I have found many threads about converting the regular 3.3 to SC but not the other way around. Do you think I need to even bother with lowering the compression? She will have more power but worry about stressing it. Hope I can make this work as finding a VG33ER in my area is very hard.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Which bearing spun BTW? You should be able to use your existing pistons, give the block a good hone and change them out.

Loganis

Ya really torn. She is smoking a bit too. Just feel like a swap would be the way to go but could save some $$$ and try to repair the bottom end. Could get expensive if I end up doing a complete rebuild. I guess I will have to inspect the walls and see if a quick hone will do the trick. If I have to bore than don't even know where to get over sized parts. May make sense to at least inspect the bottom end.

Loganis

I see guys are boosting the stock 3.3 with 300+ wheel HP? Also there are mixed opinions about the VG33ER having forged pistons. I think they just use lower profile pistons to lower compression a bit but not forged. Running a larger pulley and lower boost should be safe on the VG33E. Or if the VG33E is capable I could leave the stock SC pulley for more power :) Hope the ECU can sort it out.

spddm0n
Car: Xterra(s) (multiple), 720 Pickup

Loganis wrote:
Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:06 pm
I see guys are boosting the stock 3.3 with 300+ wheel HP? Also there are mixed opinions about the VG33ER having forged pistons. I think they just use lower profile pistons to lower compression a bit but not forged. Running a larger pulley and lower boost should be safe on the VG33E. Or if the VG33E is capable I could leave the stock SC pulley for more power :) Hope the ECU can sort it out.
Which way did you end up going on all of this? I'm acquiring a 2002 SC'd Frontier with a bad engine and I started looking into this. Some of the rebuild kits are even suggesting we use NA pistons (VG33E) in the VG33ER. There are still a handful of makers for the VG33E pistons, but I'm uncertain I want to try them with the supercharger. I know the boost level is relatively low, but I already have quality issues with all the VG33E pistons available for purchase. I wonder if the VG33E pistons will hold up to a bit of boost??

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

to answer the original question, a VG33E will bolt in but you probably need the ECU to go with it.

20frontier02
Car: 1997 Pathfinder

Hey guys, im new in forum was searching exactly for this since i am same situation, so did you figure it out, do i need the PCM of donor car, i want to engine swap because would be faster

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”