Vg33e possible cam lobe wear?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
missionstreet
Car: 98 Pathfinder

Screenshot_20230724-202914_Camera.jpg
Screenshot_20230724-202921_Camera.jpg
Screenshot_20230724-202930_Camera.jpg

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Measure it if you can. After 25 years, that looks like normal wear and it may still be within specification.
Attachments
Cam Measurement.JPG

missionstreet

There also does seem to be a dull whirring noise from that area at certain rpms. But this isn't loud and only heard with hood open and looking in.

Not sure if that was typical of these motors

mdmellott

A guy at work asked me if I was alright, after hearing me grunt and groan every time I squatted down to pick something up or leaned over to look on a lower shelf. I stay in fairly good physical condition so his question caught me off guard. I told him I was just fine. He said he was wondering why I was making those noises. I told him, because I'm old.

Keep it well maintained. Noises are sometimes hard to diagnose when described second-hand.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

mdmellott wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:07 am
A guy at work asked me if I was alright, after hearing me grunt and groan every time I squatted down to pick something up or leaned over to look on a lower shelf. I stay in fairly good physical condition so his question caught me off guard. I told him I was just fine. He said he was wondering why I was making those noises. I told him, because I'm old.
:lolling: :dblthumb:

missionstreet

Hahaha. Well let me clarify. Are the cam bearings or some other top end lubrication point known to experience failure or fatigue characteristically on the vg33e?

mdmellott

Those engines do not have a reputation for top end failure as you described. I do see a bit of varnish build up on the cam lobes shown in your pics so there is likely to be that minor build up on other components as well. (rockers, lifters, etc.) At this age, that bit of varnish is typical and it can contribute to minor grunts and groans. A good maintenance product to reduce this build up, and maybe even the noise, is Seafoam High Mileage Motor Treatment. It's like Geritol for your car.
Attachments
Sea Foam.JPG

missionstreet

Yes I had considered using this as it worked wonders in other applications.

Should it be done below recommended dosages to slowly remove the bits and buildups?

mdmellott

I would follow recommended amounts of 1oz per quart of oil and then pour the rest into the fuel tank that is half full or less. I don't see any indications of sludge build-up in your pics so I doubt there is any risk.

missionstreet

there was some sludge in the head bolts that I spooned out with qtips. Half to full of the recess had sludge. Looks to be some where the cam lobe faces bottom of head as well.

Is the larger hole on the far rear bottom an oil drainback?

mdmellott

That doesn't sound bad. There is bound to be a bit of sludge in the nooks and crannies in older engines, even well maintained engines this old. The larger hole you mentioned, I assume is the pass through to the crankcase oil pan, like where your oil goes when you fill it up and where it goes after lubricating the camshaft, lifters, and rockers.

missionstreet

What are the smaller holes along the length of the head? If not the crankcase, what do they drain back to first?

mdmellott

missionstreet wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:18 pm
What are the smaller holes along the length of the head? If not the crankcase, what do they drain back to first?
I don't know. (2X)

macgiver

missionstreet honestly that cam lobe I'm afraid looks kinda sick and don't get me wrong whether you just bought or original owner....not knocking you here.......... but quality , proper , oil changes done often - I don't think it would've looked so bad .When I look to buy cars I do TRY to look into oil filler hole and HOPE to be able to see this ......good view of cam lobe (usually cyl 1 is seen) .
My 93 has over 280,000 miles and the #1 Int & Exh still are some-what mirror-like , is what we all would like to see .
They're different engines , ya , and t'is a mystery (not to SAE designers ) how some engines may wear components heavier in places , it's 20-20 hindsight as to what oils really may not give the "advertized" protections.
At least your " ON IT " and trying to get to a helpful course of action.

missionstreet

Well if it's any consolation it was a free car that needed an entire exhaust after the cats back. Also had the death sway so I guess they gave up at that point (couldn't figure out how to fix it). I got a newish exhaust off a qx4 for 40 bucks at a junkyard and threw some polys on the rear arms. Solved that. Replaced the power antenna and a busted door panel and numerous other small stuff (Inc RUSTED chrome bumper with good one from JY). All in all its been great for 20k + mi and Towing up to 2000lb now and then. I think they even did the timing belt not too long ago.

Even got factory brake lines from Nissan that ran length of car to replace rusted leaking ones.

What sounds like a rubbing washing machine noise I thought was maybe cam Bearings at certain idle rpm. Idk.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”